www.flickr.com

Wednesday, October 19, 2011

LITTLE HICK, BIG CITY: things I've been told to do and see in NYC

I don't know how big this place is, how long it takes to get anywhere, or even where we're staying.

Y'know, let's not get caught up in that.  I'm not ready to think about that yet; I'm still working on my suitcase.  Seriously, I'm not good at this.  For 18 years I lived in town and packed up about once a month to head out to the farm.  All those years of suitcase packing and I still run around fretting and spazzing out trying to figure out which socks to pack.

But I digress.  As usual. So here are some NYC Things:

THE METROPOLITAN MUSEUM OF ART

I think I could spend a whole day there.  Which could come in handy... once my eyes glaze over listening to all those recording engineers talking about spdif files and wav files and kilohertz and megahertz and mabrainhertz.


THE OFFICE OF JANET REID, THE QUERY SHARK.

Can't think of anybody more "New York"than this literary agent... she's cool and tough and funny and sensitive and says what she means.  She isn't my agent.  I don't have an agent.  But I'd settle for just seeing the front door of the building she works in.  It's not creepy, right?


JOHN LENNON MEMORIAL

Annyong visited when she went to NYC with her school symphonic band. So she said I have to go too.


CENTRAL PARK 
Absolutely everybody tells me I need to do some hanging around in here.

I heard there are horses somewhere in the park.  Is that true?  Could it be?


EVERGREEN DINER

My friend-neighbour Leslie says we should have breakfast here.


OUR HOTEL ROOM

I will pretend to be a Struggling Author Trying to Finish My Much Anticipated Novel in my NYC hotel room. Also.  Four days with husband.  Not saying anything else.



Okay, that's all I got.  Anybody else?  I'm kind of at a loss here.  I want to blog the whole thing, as it happens!  Except for the plane ride. I intend to be oblivious in the plane.  It's the only way to fly.


I'm outta here.  We've got a few hours of nasty rainy cold weather to drive through to get to the airport.  Wish me luck.

HOLY CRAP I'M GOING TO FREAKIN' NYC.

1 comment:

Heidi Willis said...

All of these things are great! I spent nearly a day in Central Park and didn't see all of it. Of course, I had my camera, so I kept stopping. A lot. :)

My first trip up I took a list of my favorite agents and their addresses so I could take a picture in front of their door. :) Most were too far out of the way to go see, but I still have that paper. Reids is on there. :)

I didn't see horses in Central Park, but I saw them on the streets. The police ride them.

You didn't mention Times Square, which you should totally do one night. And also the 9/11 memorial if you are interested. There is a deli and fire department right across the street (on the same street as) that are very moving inside, as they were used in the aftermath. And also the church right there.

Near there, Battery Park and Statue of Liberty, although not sure how important that is for you Canucks. :)

You are going to have so much fun!!