www.flickr.com

Thursday, September 23, 2010

Hope for a Cure for a brutal disease!!! and why you should read SOME KIND OF NORMAL by Heidi Willis

This morning on the national news, there was a story on stem cell research going on in Toronto.  I watched it with my jaw dropped, muttering disbelief and prayers -- these scientists were growing new pancreas cells.  They were producing insulin.

Although I am not diabetic, I am affected by diabetes.  I have loved ones who deal with it.  I'm so thankful for the technology that keeps them alive.  A hundred years ago, diabetes spelled death.  Since the discovery of insulin, a diabetic person can live and thrive, although the struggles never go away.  What the hell, jabbing yourself with needles and keeping track of every bit of food is better than dying.  

But it's an evil disease, because the food eaten to stay alive is what makes you sick or worse.  

I want a cure.  I want a teenage girl to be able to go to a friend's house and not worry about checking her blood or taking a shot.  I want to be able to go to a movie with a loved one and not worry about fitting our fun in between meals or making sure she's not going low or thinking that when we're home she might not wake up that night because she's gone into a coma.  I want a cure.

Here's the address to the site carrying the video:  (Lisa Ray and Seamus explore stem cells)

http://www.ctv.ca/canadaam/

I don't know how long it'll be up on that site so look at it NOW.

And now I'll direct your attention a writer you need to know about if you don't yet:



SOME KIND OF NORMAL is a novel about a family dealing with this exact situation.  It's happening in the story like it's happening in real life.  But this isn't just a story about a disease.  This is about what it does to a family, and how the neighbours want to pray the diabetes out of the girl, and the extremes taken to keep this kid alive.  It's a about LIFE. It's about HOPE.  We can't give up.  Ever.  

Also it's so well written you'll be silently cheering and weeping and even chuckling a few times.  

I'm not just saying this because the author is cute and friendly and has a great name.

She wrote a work of fiction that I know for a fact could be real life to a lot of people.  

So READ! WATCH!  SHARE!  GET HEIDI'S BOOK!  Spread the word and most of all, KEEP THE HOPE ALIVE!

3 comments:

Heidi Willis said...

Well color me blushing pink! You made my day... again! :)

Seriously, girl... the joy is going to just jump right out of me!

That stem cell thing is amazing, isn't it? I keep saying that. It's the only word I can come up with.

Paul Tee said...

Certainly stems cell research has so much promise, engenders such hopes for people suffering from all kinds of ailments. I'm proud that Canada is on the leading edge of this.

After such a testimonial, I ordered the book and should have it in a week.

Biddie said...

I need that book. Jessica needs that book. I couldn't get the sound to play so I didn't know what the video was about, and then I forgot to ask..
I have been praying for this for 10+ years.