www.flickr.com

Friday, August 10, 2007

Farm Boy Friday

Confession: I never went out with a farm boy. Ever. I had farm boy neighbours. Rode the school bus with them. Went to church with them. Never dated any.



Actually, I never "dated" anybody. Just went on lots of long car rides. (And yes, as a matter of fact, I actually have written a book about it!!!)

I don't regret my lack of a farmer's son boyfriend though, since quite a few of them were related to me. You think I'm joking? I'm not! Twenty years later, most of the neighbourhood is Dutch. My daughter, when we move back out there, has a very high chance of going out with a nice Dutch boy. They're all quite tall and fair skinned, have neato tractors from Holland, and go to church a lot. Not that I expect she'll go out with a boy I approve of. She is half-me, after all.

Nope, I never gravitated towards the respectable type. Looking back, I can see a definite pattern:

-pretty eyes
-loves music
-unruly hair
-as my dad would put it, "a s**t disturber" which if you're a farmer is not good because you want all your s**t in one place so it's easier to move later
-an absolutely worshipful look in his eyes when he sets them on me

I didn't ask for much and I married the third one who came my way!

Now I have a thirteen year old daughter. She is me, only more. She's taller than I was at that age- she's eye to eye with me right now. She's prettier than I was. Smarter. Has a better singing voice. She says all the boys in her class are rude and mean and they like that hip-hop music so they're totally out of the running. I can't wait to move her out to the sticks, so the boys have to work a little harder to get to her. Jethro's looking for a house with a porch big enough to stand on and look intimidating.

Well...one day, just a few weeks ago, we were shopping at my favourite store, TSC. They have a new, awesome clothing line called Farm Boy and Farm Girl. On a big poster above the T shirt rack, right there in all his glory, was....





...................AN AUTHENTIC FARM BOY...........................




We both stared. I think our jaws were both hanging.

ME: Sweetie...I think we have to move out to the country. Soon.

GIRL: Yeah....

Now just for the record, there were some good lookin kids in my youth. I had brief fleeting recurring crushes on a couple of the guys in my class. No, not the ones who were my third cousins. I don't think. Anyways. By the time I got to high school, there were tons of handsome young men who could drive a tractor and make your heart flutter at the same time. Going to church was a total blush fest. You wouldn't believe how good looking those guys were! What was I thinking? I could have married a fine lookin fella who would have wrapped me up in 100 acres of love!

But no. There was no question. By the time I was 18 I was totally lost on this big, grinning, pale skinned, long haired, rock dog. Not the son of a farmer. Son of an immigrant Englishman who taught high school shop. Not a country boy, but a small town boy with the feed mill on one side, beer store on the other, and a chicken coop behind.


I don't feel like I missed out on anything. I got what I wanted.

But my Girl...




I'm just saying.

Maybe moving out to the sticks won't be such a difficult adjustment for her?


Look at you, you cute Farm Boy! With your pretty eyes and curly hair and perfect stubble on your perfect chin.




And them big hay bale flinging arms.

And the way the stylist carefully sprinkled little bits of hay chaff on your T shirt.

Dang.

35 comments:

jules said...

Wow. I could go for some farm boy myself. Yowzer!

The 'farm boy' in the first pic...Yum.mee!

dilling said...

um, wow...so totally not my type? Where's Jason Walton and his guitar? Although not technically farmers as I think Pa Walton worked at the mill....

Dr. Medusa said...

Ohhhhhh my. I had me a farm boy for a while in high school. Green eyes. Strong jaw. Those glorious glorious arms. Lots of hay. Really really great kis. . . Damn, Heidi, way to distract me on a Friday afternoon! Just when I was going to get the last bit of all that neglected all week work done! Damn! =)

Heidi the Hick said...

Jules, yup.

Dilling, I can tell ya, if that kid were carrying a guitar it'd work. It works on me just about every time. Why in fact, I married the guy with the guitar!!!

Dr Medusa, You're welcome!!!

Heidi the Hick said...

Dilling-- the surname WALTON automatically qualifies, not?

katy said...

yep i would definately move to the country now

Heidi the Hick said...

yeah. the scenery is so nice.

Biddie said...

Ok, look, I went to Smallburg High, and they did NOT build 'em like THAT guy. Mind you, I was so NOT into farm guys, but I think that I might have been if they had looked like that one.
Oh yeah.
Thankfully, Jessica is not too interested in boys - yet. I got enough troubles dealing with teh other two.
SIGH.

Biddie said...

Oh yeah...And the church that I went to? Most of the guys there were related to me. Not much eye candy there, either.
Damn Lutherans.

Marni said...

I'm a city girl, but would have DEFINATELY gone farm boy if they looked like that! Holy cow! (no pun intended)

Heidi the Hick said...

Biddie, now that I think about it, there were probably five who looked like that. But they outshone the others!

Seriously, when I was 13 the teenage guys at my church were happenin. I'll drop some names next time we're together.

Of course, I was after the leather jacket and concert T crowd, haha!

Marni- holy cow! hee hee

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

So having finally come up for air after finishing my manuscript, I've been trolling the blogosphere of people whose names I have seen for nearly 2 years on and off Snark and EE's sites, curious to see who everyone is. I love the name of your blog and I loved your open letter - I could have written near every word myself. But what I love the most about your blog is the pics of Johnny Depp! Especially on your other site as well. Sorry farm boy, me has eyes for no one but JD! Although the farm boy did look alot like one of those naked Abercrombie and Fitch models that I drool over once in awhile. ;o)

raine said...

I like the shirts, too! Can't get them in Canada....

Heidi the Hick said...

Ello, nice to meet you! Yeah I like Johnny. I like to have a pic of him on the scroll down at all times. Him and my horses! I hope you like funny lookin dogs too!

I thought of it afterwards that my little open letter there might actually speak for a few of us writers. Oh the pain...!

Rain- check out TSC stores. Not sure if you'll have them out there on the west coast but look into it. Their T shirts are so cute!! And their models are cute too eh?

Brightmeadowfarms said...

OK, I was just at the county fair, and I didn't see anyone who looked like that...

Coffeypot said...

Well, we have one thing in common. I never dated a farm boy either. Or a city boy. Or a samll town boy. Although in the Navy, when hitch-hiking back to the base, I would get rides with gay boys. But they usually dropped my off at the gate or close to it, with a busted lip or bloody nose. I think dating boys, for me, would be a pain in the ass.

Anita said...

You know, when I was little and people asked what I wanted to be when I grew up I always said "a farmer's wife". If they had farmers like this back then, I would have wanted it even more!!! Dang!

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

Farm boys are the hottest creatures on earth!! Love Johnny as one - yum!

Heidi the Hick said...

Listen, I just think ya gotta love a man who knows how to work, and doesn't mind getting dirty for a good cause!!

LadyBronco said...

Of course, if farm boys had looked anything like Mr. Depp when I wa younger, I woulda moved to the country a loooong time ago!!

captain corky said...

I can't picture you with a Calvin Klein, Abercrombie and Fitch farm dude. But a rocker... absolutely!

terry said...

you think they have any of those out there around my age??

YOW.

Holly Kennedy said...

Your posts always crack me up, Heidi! I love the pics. Hoooo-haaa, but those are some good looking farm boys :)

Bernita said...

I really, really, really liked this post.
I graduated high school with four first cousins.

A Paperback Writer said...

I have to agree with Biddie.
Look, even though I'm a city girl myself, in Utah no one is ever very far from the Sticks. I teach school in a place where soccer and rodeo are the most popular sports in the long run. My parents both grew up in small towns (Dad on a ranch in Moab, Mom's dad was a sheep man in Heber City). And I can't tell you how many small towns in Utah I've been in in my life (also in Wyoming, Montana, and Idaho).
But honey, I ain't NEVER seen a farm boy (or man) who looked like those posters!!!! Maybe they only grow 'em like that in the Midwest. Or in an LA photographer's studio. But they DON'T look like that out here.
Sure, there are plenty of "Wrangler butts" for the girls to oogle, but the overall effect is never what's in those pics.
My opinion is that those farm boys are about as average and/or real as the female models seen in Cosmopolitan.
If real farm boys looked like that in Utah, I'd never get a single girl to pay attention in class.
thanks for the eye candy, though!

Heidi the Hick said...

hee hee!

I still say there were some fine lookin boys at my church who grew up to be fine lookin men!!

But I'll admit that young Ross there is pretty darn exceptional!

emily said...

i went to school surrounded by farm boys...the real ones. thank god for growing up in small town ontario!

Liane Spicer said...

Same as ello... Occasionally trolling the blogs of people I used to see a lot of at Snark's, my old addiction. I'll get over it. Anyone knows of a support group for people who still pine for Snark?

Never knew farm boys looked like that. Nice.

curly haired country girl said...

well i stumbled upon your blog and i have to say i'm a young country girl born and raised and i've had myself a cowboy or two and there isn't anything better than a hardworkin man's love...cowboys, farm kids, ranchers...love 'em all. My mother moved to the country so as she could marry herself a rancher and can't say i'm not just like her...i'm one of those cowboy chasin' girls and my life has been nothing but good times and dirty fun.

nikki said...

funny thing is.. i know him! haha thats ross potter he plays football at my school and we are friends with the same people so i tend to run into him alot :)

countrygrl said...

uh this guy? i was in 4-h with him!

Anonymous said...

believe it or not, I do know quite a few farm boys who are very gorgeous. I'm out in rural Pennsylvania

Mercy said...

haha Ross potter, he graduated from my school the guy in all the photos. farm boy model... so is brady myers another farm boy model... ha

Mercy said...

haha Ross potter, he graduated from my school the guy in all the photos. farm boy model... and so is brady myers another farm boy model... ha

Anonymous said...

I went to college with him!! Extremely nice guy!!! University of Wisconsin- river falls