www.flickr.com

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

If your cat went deaf, how would you know?

It's not like he ever came bounding into the room when I called him...

Last month I was convinced that we were losing him forever. All he did was sleep, eat, and go to the box. I mean, more intensely than usual. He just didn't look right. It looked like it took all his strength to jump onto his food table.

I was getting ready to say goodbye.

In tears, I laid down on the rug beside him and rubbed his chin. He purred and reached out his paw to my cheek, like he always has. "Will you stick around a little bit longer, please Nigel?" He winked at me. "Just a little longer, okay? We'll give you lots of good food and a little mat on top of the heat vent to sleep on. I'll keep the obnoxious dog away from you. You can curl up on my desk beside me and if you want you can sleep in my lap while I type. Can you stay alive for me?" I ran my hand down his bony back. Every vertebrae stands out, his hips and shoulders sharp under my hands. He's not the handsome and proud black cat he was ten years ago. But he's still himself.

He rubbed his wet nose against the side of my hand. Then he closed his eyes, as the purring faded and he fell asleep. I stayed there watching him to make sure he was still breathing. I've gotten into that habit lately, always pausing to see his ribs rise and fall as he sleeps.

Now for the last two weeks he's perked up a bit. He hasn't gained any weight, and he won't sleep on our beds anymore, but he's back to standing at the top of the steps and meowing at us.

I miss him at night. After fifteen years of falling asleep with my purring friend, I feel disoriented. He's making up for it though, by sitting on my lap while I type. He's here right now, watching my fingers with his special kind of detachment. I can feel his purring chest against my forearm. I've got the tunes going, so I can't hear him, but it doesn't matter; I don't think he hears much anymore. I've never been able to sneak up on him but he startles easily these days.

He's a faded version of himself, physically, but in every way he's still the cool cat he was in his youth. I hope he feels good enough to live longer. Could I ask him for another year? It's up to him.

If his old bones are too stiff for him to jump onto my bed, I'm quite happy to have him hang around with me at my desk. There's room for both of us.




So, kids, if you ever see something like this

fg ghlk5555544444444444444444444444444444444444444444 neeeeeeeede;xzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

... it's just my groovy old cat making a statement!

10 comments:

Balloon Pirate said...

They do worm their way into our lives, don't they?

have you considered making some stairs for Nigel to get onto your bed?

I know they sell them, but I'm guessing you could manufacture something (or just stack up some boxes and books) to allow him access.

yeharr

Biddie said...

I love Nigel. He is a grand old fella, a real gentleman among cats.
Remember the 1st time that he met KK?
Buddy will be 13 right around the time that The Girl turns 13. He is way more friendly, to everyone. He came out and sat on Lynn's lap yesterday.
Cats really are a mystery to me........

Heidi the Hick said...

Pirate, yes, he's a real presence in my life! I've been thinking about a way for him to get onto my bed but there's only about a foot of room all the way around the bed. I'm still working on it.

Also I don't reallly want the obnoxious puppy to have free access to my bed. I love him but y'know, I keep wondering what's on his paws and what he ate recently...

Biddie I know you love Nigel! I think KK was in a babby carrier the first time they met, if I remember correctly. He was kinda baffled by her...

I haven't seen Buddy in years. I Hope he comes out to see me next time I'm over!

(cats are a mystery to everybody. They like it that way.)

dilling said...

sweet boy...

Michael Colvin said...

Wow. He's the image of my black cat Robbie. Even down to the little patch of white hair on his chest.

I know how you feel, Robbie is 14 and I notice the difference too.

ldbug said...

Wow! You're cat is tallented to type anything. Mine tries to catch the 'bug' on the screen (the cursor).

I hope he sticks around awhile longer, what a sweetie.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Sweet!! The Nige left a msg on ur blog...no idea what it means but it's probably something related to food or sleep. He must stay around for a while longer so I can come see him.

Mackey said...

Awwwww...he is adorable.
I really feel your pain HC. My hubby & I got a cat when we first started dating back in 1987.We named her J.D....what can I say, I was 18:P. We lost her this year after 19 years. It was hard. She always slept onour bed with us & always laid on hubbys lap. We have other ctas but none of them feel the void left by her.
I hope Nigel gives you a few more years.
(hugs)

katy said...

you make as many statements as you want Nigel

me, a dreamer and believer said...

I just went thru something similar with my kitty. It's heartbreaking when you want to help them, and you can't - and you can't even ask them what's wrong....

(well you can but you likely won't get any answer....)

I hope Nigel was just going thru a rough phase and has many more days. Nothing quite like our kitties, is there?