www.flickr.com

Monday, October 23, 2006

A Year of Puggy Goodness!


The amount of "Why didn't you get a real dog?" comments have decreased by now. The Pug is here to stay and he's a popular guy. Here's what I wrote a year ago:

He's got eyeballs that don't quite go in the same direction, a wrinkly forehead, bowlegs, a round belly,and black whiskers. He's also got no nose. Just a little black button where his nose should be! He is the most adorable, funny little dog I've ever had and we are officially all in love!

At nine weeks old, our pug, from here on known as Dog, is already quite the personality. I am so glad we decided to get him. Not sure if Cat feels the same way, but that's mostly because Cat is not sure exactly what kind of alien Dog is. He doesn't look or sound like a dog...but he sure is! He's all about chewing, playing, peeing, and falling into a snuffly sleep on somebody's warm body. I think he and Cat will get along very well in the future considering their similar lifestyle. Other than the playing part. Cat isn't into that silly stuff anymore.

Obviously Dog isn't up to walks yet. Soon, very soon. And then I'll have a canine buddy to take me for walks. It's essential that I go for walks. The doctor, counsellor, and Husband all said so. But it's really hard to go for a walk. Really. The hardest part is just getting out the front door, but I can only walk past the same manicured lawns so many times before it gets monotonous. I have no problem talking to a dog as I walk. I talk to my horse while we ride. I talk to my cat. And yes they do talk back. Those of you who don't believe me simply have the mistake of thinking that animals don't speak English. Of course they don't. They speak Animal.

Jethro was afraid that with the kids in school I could be turning into a hermit. Cat wouldn't mind that. He'd love it if I just got into bed and kept him warm all day. I don't know how healthy that is for me. Tempting, but not practical.

Regardless, I love my Cat so much that I wanted another pet to love too. Our little Dog won't fix me or solve any of my problems or make Big Daddy leave work earlier. But he sure is a heck of a great little companion.

I wasn't in very good shape back then. Reading that now makes me realize how much progress I've made since! I can't set all the credit on a little snorty faced dog but he's been a good helper.

Here's what I was telling myself before we brought him home...


I don't live on a farm yet/again. I have to face the facts: I live in a raised bungalow. Our family car is a VW Jetta. We could easily fit a mutt in the back seat of the truck except that we don't take the truck on long journeys since we don't have $400 for gas. Is there room for a nice lab or shepherd in our lives?

Not really.

Next best thing- a small dog who thinks he's big. Kinda like me. And as far as dogs go, there are plenty of small dogs who have a large aura.

I know exactly what kind of dog would suit us. Compact but strong, friendly, active, with a face only a mother could love. A squat, bulldoggy, squishy faced pug.

So he wouldn't be great on a three hour trail ride with the horses. This is a breed developed by royalty to warm their feet. I have cold feet. My dog could keep the couch warm for me while I ride. So there, he has served his farm dog duties.

He wouldn't be much use for rounding up horses. But there's only two and besides, that's what shaking the grain bucket is for, haha.

He would get me out of the house for a walk through the burbs when I'm stuck at home. When the day comes that we pack it outta here, he can accompany me down the bush lane and back.

I think that wrinkly little face would look pretty cute looking out of the pickup truck's window. Besides, my cat doesn't give a crap where we live, as long as we bring the black couch with us. He's got his priorities straight.

WHAT I'VE LEARNED ABOUT PUGS:
-They are much more athletic than people expect. We've kept his weight down to avoid the hip and breathing problems that often affect these little guys. In other words, we resist the begging face. It's not easy.
-Other pug owners tell me one of two things. Either they say they're the smartest dogs in the world, or they tell me that they're impossible to train. Hmmm...
-It's hard to walk in town and not get stopped. The crowds of kids who wanted to see him got a little overwhelming when I was still getting over my little anxiety thing.
-Pugs really do believe that they're huge. In his little mind, he is 120lbs of solid intimidating bigness.
-Pugs are totally clowns. This dog knows when we're laughing at his antics and I'm convinced that he takes our response as a reward.
-Some people seem to be scared of him.

-Some other dogs seem to be afraid of him!
-We really love him.

21 comments:

madamerouge said...

Adorable. Just like that character in Men in Black... Frank the Pug?

HaGolem said...

I sometimes think smaller dogs are the best - our two even sleep on the bed. About that knowing the antics bit - Jack as a pup KNEW he was cute, and one night at the local drive in, barked at people - who woke up and told him how cute he was!

Heidi the Hick said...

Madame- yeah, he gets called Frank a lot!!!

Hagolem- I was always a big dog person. I grew up with big shepherd cross farm dogs. But this little guy is converting me!!!

Gadfly said...

They're so butt ugly, for some reason you just have to love them.

Heidi the Hick said...

Yep. Ugly cute. Once you fall in love, he's the best looking thing in the world!!

Timmy said...

Oh Heidi! I loves the pugs!

Obi will be ayear old next month, February will be a year anniversary with him. So much joy!

Marni said...

OMG! I love him! and I'm not partial to them at all...

Pugs are the complete bomb and once you have one you are a "Pug person" for life. We are a weird bunch, too. Kind of obsessed... or am I speaking for myself?

Biddie said...

I love the Pug. Big time. You know that you've always got a babysitter for him...In fact, KC was lamenting over the fact that it has been MONTHS since she's seen the Pug...I wonder if she knows that we have 2 dogs right here?

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh feel the love!!!!!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Awww. I was having dog withdrawl...particularily your dog.In fact I was going to call him on the weekend but I got sidetracked and stuff. I love your dog. And he is a big dog.

dilling said...

you know I wrote a long and arduous comment and now it is off somewhere we will never find and I don't have the heart for it again!!! He is a cutie and small dogs with big dog minds are amazing things... tremendous gifts can come in the smallest packages...

katy said...

oh he is a handsome chappy, our animals give us unconditional love, they are life savers for so many people

Smartypants said...

I had a very big dog and now I have three little dogs. There's something lovely about being able to pick them up and cuddle them.

Heidi the Hick said...

I forgot to mention, folks...

ON HIS ONE YEAR ANNIVERSARY WITH US, HE CELEBRATED BY CRAPPING ON THE BATHROOM FLOOR!

(Jethro and I each thought the other one of us put him outside. Wondered why the snuffling and snorting had increased for a minute before he disappeared...)

Heidi the Hick said...

This comment is from Heidi's daughter:
Oh the puggy goodnesss!!!!!!!!!

CindyDianne said...

Dog is super cute! Dogs are good for the soul in a similar way that horses are good for the soul, just on a smaller scale!

Notsocranky Yankee said...

I'm sure I told you this before, but I grew up with a pug and I was hooked! After I graduated from college, I bought a pug from a pet store because he was just so darn cute! After pilot training I realized I couldn't keep with with my flying schedule so I gave him to my mother. He was her best buddy for 14 years, helping her through the death of my father.

Pugs are definately big dogs in small packages -- my college roommate named mine "Capone", because she thought he needed a big name. My mother hated it when I told her. She got over that quickly...

Your little guy is cutie pie!

dilling said...

btw, is that supposed to be titled "the truth aoubt pugs?"

Heidi the Hick said...

yeah. It's the truth about pugs. Ya got me.

The truth is, he's a great little dog!

Balloon Pirate said...

Hmm--they say that dogs and their humans begin to share traits. Any truth to that?

Yeharr

Heidi the Hick said...

YES.

Good things come in small packages!