www.flickr.com

Wednesday, October 04, 2006

The Truth About Heidi

This is me, and my first pony:
I got her when I was five and she was fifteen. She loved to pull that cart but wasn't so happy to have me on her back. I hit the dirt hard and often! She never wore a saddle in her life...She was a Shetland. I'll always love Shetland ponies, and I don't care what other people say about them. They are the toughest smartest little beasts. She lived to be 25 years old. I got off the bus one afternoon when I was 15 and both my folks were standing in the yard. I knew right away.

I think I was ten in this picture. My uncle took it the day of my Mom and Dad's 13th anniversary. My kids are older than this now; my husband and I have been married for 15 years.

If you ever had any doubts about where I came from...look at her bridle. It's made out of twine string.Also check out my dog, peeking out from under the cart shafts. He spent exactly one night in our house before the poop piles drove my mother crazy and he went out to live in a nice pile of straw in the corner of the pig barn. He was one happy mutt!

My jeans were too big. I looked at this picture after Jethro scanned it for me and sighed, "Those carpenter pants were my favourite jeans." Then I remembered the way the waist dug into my ribs (a problem I still have) and then I muttered, "actually...they were my ONLY jeans."

We weren't wealthy back then, and a few years later, things got much, much worse. But even if I had only one pair of jeans, I had ponies.


Now you know!!!!

21 comments:

Biddie said...

OMG!! Too cute. You looked pretty much like this when I met you..and you really haven't changed much since..
Just think, soon you'll be with horses again...Full time. I know that it's scary, but you deserve it.

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah, in Grade 9 I looked like I was in Grade 4!

It's all true!!!!

(I deserve to live with my horses. REPEAT. REPEAT.)

dilling said...

ponies make you rich, don't they?

CindyDianne said...

Heidi - You deserve to live with your horses. You must, because if you don't then I don't - and I most definately do!

I used to use hay twine to catch Chico in the fields. I had (and still do) a blanket for my Welsh pony that my Mom croqueted for me. I remember that a special treat for my mom and I used to be sharing a small cherry coke from DQ. I know what you are talking about. And, I think Dilling is right - Ponies do make you rich!

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh Dilling, I have to quote you on that!

PONIES MAKE YOU RICH, DON'T THEY?

I knew we didn't have much money, way less than our neighbours. But...I had ponies!

Cindy- It's those little things that we remember isn't it?

I think I need another pony.

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Great picture! It's so cool that you had a pony. I agree, you were rich!

Balloon Pirate said...

Wow. You've been productive.

You need to be with horses. And trucks. And fields.

Go after your dream.

Still reading this? Get back to your books!

Yeharr

Balloon Pirate said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nölff said...

you're country... Me too!

Steven said...

You had a pony....

You had a pony!!

You know you have just angered a million women out there who begged for ponies growing up...don't you?

Man...I bet that feels so cool. ;)

Steve~

Heidi the Hick said...

Yankee- that's one of my favourite pictures of me. I'll show you the other one later!

Pirate- Thank you. I am going after my dream. I just take quick blog breaks. Ok back at it!!!! But first-

Nolff-ha! I knew it! I had a feeling that under that smilin monkey sarcastic exterior you were a hick too!!
You're gonna love my Nickelback blog entry next week. Oh yeah you will.

Steve- Dude. I had TWO ponies. snicker snicker. Yeah, I know I instilled jealousy in all the other little girls! They could keep their darn Barbie campers! Yep, feels pretty cool!!!!!

Timmy said...

she's purty!

Anonymous said...

I dig a pony.

katy said...

a pony all to yourself! uh and what did i get, i'll tell you, a tortoise an he ran away, i mean you ever heard of a sodding tortoise leaving home!!!!

Smartypants said...

Heidi, you are adorable! I love that picture. I would've been so jealous of you when I was a kid. = )

Distant Timbers Echo said...

You are so cute honey!

I'm glad you posted this because it's kind of like...

Heidi... the Beginning!

Heidi the Hick said...

jj- If I remember correctly those pants came from an older friend whom I adored. It didnt' matter if I actually liked them or not though becauses the other option was wearing my Sunday dress to school every day! but yeah. LUCKY!

Thanks Tim! She looked pretty good for an old lady.

Bug- Ponies are diggable.

Indoors- Your tortoise ran away!!!! Oh my gosh. I'm so sorry that your tortoise ran away...but still, makes for a great story eh!

Smarty- thank you! I love that picture too. Y'know, you were definitely not a Myra (YOU know what I'm talking about) so I would have invited you for cart rides with my little Doodlebug pony!!!

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh my gosh, Red, that's like a great mockumentary title!!!!!

Balloon Pirate said...

I have carpenter pants.

They crawl along the baseboard and I spray them until they die.

Yeharr

Heidi the Hick said...

Ok, you just made me snort through the back of my throat and out my nostrils.

Well played!

Bunny said...

HAPPY BLOG BIRTHDAY!! ONE YEAR OLD NOW!!
YOU & YOUR PONY ARE TOO CUTE IN THAT PIC!!!