www.flickr.com

Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Oh God

Today I am sickened, heartbroken, and lost. I had heard that there was another school shooting.

Is it not bad enough that I just called it "another school shooting?" This should never ever happen. And yet this morning when I walked past the newspaper box on the way to the bank, my feet stopped. My heart skipped. I saw the men in their straw hats and their beards. I saw the headline. Oh God, no, not them.
This is the newspaper story.

I'm fiercely protective of the Amish. The Old Order Amish, the Old Order Mennonites. I won't let you make fun of them. I am reluctant to post photos of them, even though I think they're amazing looking, because I respect their need to be left alone. I even feel like I shouldn't be writing about this, and let them deal with it privately without the rest of the world putting them under the microscope. They are a misunderstood group of people.

Wikipedia page on Amish
Wikipedia page on Mennonite

It's never been a secret around here that I'm Mennonite. I'm actually Amish-Mennonite. My background is 100% Swiss-German. My entire geneology can be traced back more than 150 years ago to two families who moved to Pennsylvania. They left Europe to escape religious persecution. They were being tortured and killed because they wanted the right to choose adult baptism. They left Pennsylvania for Ontario because they refused to take sides in the Civil War. They wouldn't send their sons out to kill their neighbours.

I've heard all the arguments from people who have no clue what they're talking about. That this whole thing about living separately from the world is pointless and irrelevant and stupid. I've heard the accusations that to be a pacifist is to be a coward.

Now you tell me. A twelve year old girl, executed by a total stranger. A man so haunted by his own problems that he tied them up and shot them.

Who's the coward?

Turn the other cheek. Still wanna hit me? Who's the coward now?

For all I know, there are people there who are descended from the same two couples who moved there in the 1830s. There could be kids in that school with the original spelling of my last name.

Does it matter? The term "school shooting" should not exist. End of story. No argument. But to me, for someone to target this community of people who have only wanted to live the way they choose to live, without interference, and for that person to take his angers and frustrations out on those whom he damn well knew would not fight back...

I am heartbroken.

My anger welled up in me and I found myself thinking that I wanted the killer dead. (I didn't know at the time that he already was dead.)

I don't believe in an eye for an eye. I'm Mennonite; it's against my religion to kill people. More than that: I'm Christian. Do you think I've never wished for revenge though? Ha. I remember when some deluded psychopath blew up a building in Oklahoma. In our Sunday School class soon after (we have adult Sunday school) I sat across the room from my grandmother, the pastor's wife, and I admitted that if my child had been killed in that explosion I might want to see some capitol punishment. But the truth is--

Can you handle the truth?

We can't take a life for a life.

We can't take a life.

When will this stop?

I cried. I tapped the front page of the newspaper. I told my husband that people shouldn't have guns.

He shook his head slowly. "That guy was determined to kill somebody. He would have found a way."

Please, everybody. Make it stop.

Do you know what those Amish families are doing right now? They are struggling to find it in their hearts to forgive. And they will. They will forgive because that's what Jesus taught. They will forgive because they believe that God will find a way to make us learn something from this. I'm not bible thumping you today, okay? I'm telling you what I know.

If I have only ten people reading this today, please tell somebody else. Make it stop. Stop holding your hates. Stop crushing down your hurts and problems until it makes you bleed your hatred out onto others who never deserved it.

Stop lying to yourself. Stop telling yourself that you don't need any help. Stop plotting revenge for that person who wronged you.


We have to stop killing each other.

13 comments:

Biddie said...

This makes me so sad, too. I learned a long time ago that hate kills. It kills all of the goodness and love inside of you if you let it. That's why I don't hate Randy, or Stan or even Betty. I have struggled with this for years..It has not been easy.
Some people can't let go of the anger, or they lack the support that they need to move on, deal with sh*t...It's so difficult to forgive.. You know that it is especially difficult for me..
I can not believe the strenght of the Amish families. If it were one of my girls...the hate would take over. They must have incredible faith. I think that we can all learn something from these people, from this tragedy.

dilling said...

There is pain everywhere and this subject is much too big for me to address in a comment spot...I am not big enough to forgive all people in my life for the little things...how do we encompass the truly horrendous things? I don't know.

Marni said...

I don't understand how someone could target the Amish either. They are such gentle, loving people. This man was truly disturbed and what makes it worse is he will go down in history as the shooter... the girls will be forgotten. Why does that have to be?

Heidi the Hick said...

Biddie-What makes you such a good person is that you work so hard not to hate. Please tell more people waht you said here! I hope you're right: I hope we can learn from them. I wish things like this didn't have to happen for us to learn these hard lessons.

dilling-it is too big. I was raised all my life with the concepts of forgiveness and grace and I still struggle. I don't think it comes easily to anybody.

Marni- I won't speak his name. He was truly disturbed and one of the worst tragedies is that he needed help and never got it. And you're right, the girls will be a sidenote in history.

Keep in mind though, their parents, because of their culture, wouldn't want the girls' names publicized or memorialized.

I won't forget them though.

CindyDianne said...

Heidi, you hit the nail on the head when you said that there shouldn't be the term "school shooting". It shouldn't exist. I think this one is worse for me for two reasons. First, it is the Amish. I have been fascinated and admiring of them for years. Second, it was an adult that did this, not some angry and frustrated and picked on high school kid. This person was 32. He should have impulse control. He should be a bigger/better person than to do this. No person should have this much stored up hate.

Dilling is right. It is too big for a comment space. And, it is too much for my heart and mind right now.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I think that some days you and I share the same brain.
I don't understand how people do this either, it doesn't make sense and I don't think it ever will.

Heidi the Hick said...

KC (actually I've been brainwashing you your entire life.)

I hope we never understand it. I hope we never are that messed up.

Cindy- "No person should have this much stored up hate." Isn't it awful that it got to this point? I don't know how to avoid something like this! I do know how hard it is to let go of that kind of hatred. It is so hard. But Biddie said it: Hate kills all of the goodness and love inside of you if you let it.


Take a deep breath everybody. Thank god you're still here!

katy said...

why do guns exsist? why do people have to die unnessesary? hate does destroy you.
i do sometimes hate the world for what we have let it become, if only we could all live without fear and hatered

Anita said...

All the media and "curious" that will be camping out in the town and always trying to pry into thier lives for now, and for months, just makes it even worse...Adding insult to injury...
Why can't the American media just leave them in peace to try to get on with the rest of their lives?

Distant Timbers Echo said...

There is nothing we can do about a man or woman who is willing to take your life and will perish his/her own life to do it. Nothing.

There are few of them out there, and he was one of them. Nothing we can do.

I haven't watched/ read/ listened to the news in months. I'm happier and stress free because of it.

How can I not pay attention to world events? If I can't fix it, I don't want to know about it.

Always,
Jas...

NWJR said...

Excellent post. I can't possibly add any more.

Vicki said...

I just found you blog today. I have always been so facinated by the Amish and Mennonites community. When I heard of this killing my heart was sick. When the news tells of how this community just wanted to be left alone. How they think that outside world takes away from their faith with Christ. I understand. I would long for the time to be around Christians and who know the walk I try desperatly walk with my Lord is important to me. The simplicity of their live rings truth in me.

Jake Allsop said...

The word that best describes what is happening to our society is "disintegration". Loss of integration, loss of sense of community. Ironical that this terrible crime was committed against an Amish community, which, almost by definition, is integrated.
God bless, Heidi.
Jake