www.flickr.com

Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Equestrian Chic?????

Let's get this perfectly straight right now. I'm a hick. I ride like a hick. I started off with twine string tied to an old driving bit for a bridle, and holes in my jeans, and braids in my hair, and a very old, very grumpy Shetland pony mare. I didn't ride western back then. I rode like a farm kid.

I believe that western riding can be just as intricate and precise as other more respected, more elegant riding styles. I also have so much respect for dressage, hunting and jumping.

Even the apparel is elegant. But I'm a hick, remember? Jeans and boots, baby.

So you can imagine my mixture of shock and laughter when the Toronto Star declared recently that for Fall 06, it's all about EQUESTRIAN CHIC!

Check this out.tee hee hee! Does she know that she's all baggy? If you've done any riding you'll know that anything flapping around is bad news. And the helmet. Most riders I know get that thing whipped off the moment the boots touch the ground again.

This is a total scream:It's like, Dirty Dancing meets Seabiscuit! Nobody puts Baby in the corner of the stall!!!
HOnestly, I"ve ridden in shorts. It's really not that comfortable but if the other choice is melting in the heat, sometimes you'll take the squeak of flesh against saddle skirts. Please, it's not as sexy as it sounds. But these pants-like things...look how low the waist is. I wear my jeans that low. Not to ride! If I see one more girl at a horse show with pants like this, and her shirt pulled out, and her undies sticking out...I'll haul her off the horse and pin her shirt to her undies!

This is how equestrian apparel is supposed to fit:I mean, even I know that.

See this pin, shaped like a snaffle bit? It gives me nightmares about a snotty girl with these on the front of her loafers- people, don't wear shoes known as loafers- and when I told her she had snaffle bits on her shoes she looked at me like I had three heads. What the hell did she know?

I think it's a bit of a stretch to lump this mink hat in with anything equestrian:I just don't get it.

Although I admit that I do like this bag.Even though I'm not sure how it can be called a saddlebag.
I don't think anybody can argue with the boots though.We should never argue with boots. Ever.

Let's be honest though. This belt is ugly. Versace, Gucci, I don't care. It's butt ugly.

So, as much as I wanted to tell you all about young horse crazy girls being completely mislead by the world of fashion, and how the non-horse world often has very wrong headed ideas about the horse world, I'll have to get off my high horse now. Because when I looked for some nice western wear to show you...I couldn't find it. Most of it is just plain gaudy and has nothing to do with the practical hard working clothes that it evolved away from. I want denim and leather. No sparkles. No shiny things. Keep that in the show ring. I want the real thing, and I want a GREAT BIG HUGE HONKIN BELT BUCKLE.

I might wear this:I'm not crazy about the colour but it could do. I'm thinking that model's soft white hands have never touched a hay bale. What do you think?

Wait another 6 weeks and I'll show you some real equestrian chic. I'll show you some flat out hick chic. Them there are genuine Wrangler jeans. That's an actual flannel jacket that I found in the backseat of a junked car. And that's no Mink Hat, kids. That's a genuine farmer ear flap hat. That's what I'm talking about.

By the way, if you type COWGIRL into Images, you get stuff like this:


Sigh. Misconceptions. I don't dress like this. But I hear Halloween is coming...hahahahaha!

21 comments:

John Q. Public esq. said...

Dirty Dancing meets Seabiscuit

now that was a class line, well done H2H

CindyDianne said...

Ok, the runway equestrian chic is absolutely attrocious! Yuck! I wouldn't be caught dead in it. The actual equestrian stuff, although a stretch for my inner cowgirl is, at least attractive to me!

The models hands never have touched a hay bale, well...maybe she has touched one, but she certainly hasn't thrown one! Speaking of dirty dancing, "oh spaghetti arms"

Distant Timbers Echo said...

God, the superrich really try to look like they're grounded don't they? Anything and everything that is, they say they can make it better!

~sigh~

If you dress like the last picture there, I want to see it!

Balloon Pirate said...

I swear, if some of these fashion designers would rub a t-shirt in dog poo and have a heroin addict walk around in it, then half the women of the world would start smelling like my back yard.

Hilarious post.

Yeharr

dilling said...

Who knew?!? Lord help me, if I see someone dressed like this in Nanaimo... although some of the town hookers might be interested in that last outfit, they probably couldn't afford the leather....

Biddie said...

I like your outfit much better, and who knows, you may even be the new trend setter.

Heidi the Hick said...

Hey Biddie, It worked for ASS HAT! hahahaha!

JQP- I always feel honoured by a compliment from you!

Cindydi- Awful, isn't it! I know what you mean; the English riding outfits are classy. I couldn't wear it though! I just couldn't!

spaghetti arms...good one!

Red- the superrich--BAH I spit on them! Sorry, that should be I HORK on them, hahaha!

I promise, I will not ever dress like that last picture. Sorry bud. Just a little too Mennonite for that sh*t.

PIrate- I'm working on a new line of dog poop inspired Hick Chic T shirts.

No I'm not. (Thanks for the hilarious!!!!)

Dilling- wouldn't you freak if you saw that outfit coming down your street? Got a feeling it wouldn't look so good in real life though, eh!

Honestly, I'll be stunned if I see Farmer Ear Flap Hats on the runways next year. If they start running the HIck Chic idea I'm gonna ask for a cut of it. LIke I said, I didn't invent it. I'M JUST PERFECTING IT!

katy said...

yep sure love that bag, the models hands have probably never touched a damn thing!

Smartypants said...

Hey sweetie...today I bought new riding breeches (yay!) and a new hardhat for my first dressage lesson tomorrow!

I also had to buy boot pulls b/c I can't find my old ones. I'm not sure if my old field boots still fit but I'm going to squirm into them no matter what and boot pulls will be essential.

And, somewhere, I know I have some riding gloves laying around...

I'm doing the genuine equestrian chic thing. = )

Marni said...

I like your look a lot better than those runway models. You go girl!

I like the handbag and the boots, too. They were so CUTE! Need to be lookin' for those.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I love the last pic there....the one of you! That's great. I went shopping yesterday and I thought all of that stuff was U G L Y! So I bought some track pants...track pants are sexy! I'm telling you that you can bring SEXYBACK with a pair of track pants.

Heidi the Hick said...

indoors & Marni- yep, we need to get a bag like that. We'll each need to sell something first to afford it...!

Smartypants, I absolutely trust you that you will do up the genuine equestrian chic the right way. I hope you have a bootjack to get those field boots off once you wiggle into them! (I'm so happy that you're digging out the field boots again!)

JJ- the ironic thing about me is that I own three whips but I'm too klutzy to ride with one. I just grab a whip out of the barn and wave it around when I want somebody to behave! It works like a charm!!!
If anybody showed up at a horse show dresssed like those models they'd get laughed off the property. so it's okay to laugh!!

KC- I'm so glad you're bringing the SEXYBACK with those track pants. That is essential college wear y'know. Perfect for crashing between classes!

Mackey said...

*freeze....duh!

Jake Allsop said...

I quite like the 1982 Cowgirl, but as she has a bare bottom, horseriding give her some nasty sores places. Personally, I think it's better to wear clothes for such activities; or, in my case, avoid such activities altogether. For me, horses, like sheep, are devastatingly picturesque, but only at a certain distance.
Love ya.
Jake

Heidi the Hick said...

hey Mackey, I could wear that outfit...over my thermal coveralls!!!

Jake- when I saw that last picture I cringed and laughed. Riding in shorts is bad enough! Although, I reeeeally don't think our 1982 Cowgirl is goin ridin. If we all know what ah mean.

Angela said...

Hey ya, Heidi, read your fashion reviews, funny stuff. Its funny because I see the girlies I go to school with wearin their hoochie clothes in the barn all the time: Sparkly spaghetti strap tank tops, flip flops, dangly earrings, and low rise jeans with a thong-th-thong-thong-thong. Plus it seems to be pretty important to have 2 or 3 rounds of eyeliner on. Maybe its cute but Im not cool enough to know for sure.

Semavi Lady said...

LOL, those first two fashion pics are totally awful. They have to wear the crash helmets as accessories at this costume show to help remind the audience that these are actually parodies of riding outfits. :) "Dirty Dancing meets Seabiscuit" indeed!

I'd probably be rotfl if I had seen the actual show, not that I ever want to attend things like that. lol

Blue Ribbons said...

dear heidi, i appreciate the fact that u brought up the fashion world mixing with the equestrian world in weird ways... but i'm sorry.. i happen to show and compete in advanced hunter/jumper classes and i think thats its cool that the huge and amazing world of fashion is starting to recognize the true class we equestrians posess... what i also happen to believe is that it is upsetting that someone like urself would make fun of someone's hard work in designing and creating those equestrian inspired clothes.. yes, it would be rediculous if u saw someone like that walking down the street or at a show but come on,... thats not what those runway clothes are meant for... the runway is a place to inspire with ideas... and the horse world just happened to melt in with those cool ideas.. and that these outfits aren't literal...and they weren't made in the masses for random "rich/preppy" people to ride in... while i do agree with alot of ur points... i think it was sh**ty of u to attack people with money and that have a different style than u!!!

Blue Ribbons said...

is heidi the re-re gunna answer???

Anonymous said...

Can anyone recommend the top RMM utility for a small IT service company like mine? Does anyone use Kaseya.com or GFI.com? How do they compare to these guys I found recently: N-able N-central desktop support
? What is your best take in cost vs performance among those three? I need a good advice please... Thanks in advance!

Women Leather Blazer said...

The models hands never have touched a hay bale, well...maybe she has touched one, but she certainly hasn't thrown one! Speaking of dirty dancing, "oh spaghetti arms"