www.flickr.com

Monday, August 14, 2006

How Long Before We Get RUN OUTTA TOWN???

I have an agreement with my kids.

I get the front yard. I get my five little flowerbeds and my overgrown jungle of plants. I get the front door and the nice brick walk.











You get the back yard. Go nuts.

Our backyard is ridiculously big. It's one of the reasons why we bought this place, even though it was out of our price range. We suffered to pay for it. It's 60ft across and 120 front to back. Even better, it backs onto the next street's back yards, so I'm not looking into other people's windows. For me, a small woman who takes up a lot of space, it was the only way I could deal with town life. And I had a great place for my kids to play.

At the start of this summer it was going great. We worked out a plan for an awesome bike course out back, which included things like dryer vent hose and pipes and 2x4s to mark out a track --and no, I don't have a clue where all this crap came from; I am a junk magnet-- and we had an old tire and rim combo, because as I've said before you always need at least one of those, and we had an old bike frame half sunk in the ground for comedy...and not one but TWO plastic skeletons!! It's pure sick awesomeness, as the Boy says. We agreed that to keep it from looking like an abandoned scrap yard, I'd go around with the lawn mower and cut the outside of the track, and take the weedwacker to the track itself and shave it down to the roots. The inside of the track, we let grow.

In the meantime, we're in the process of getting our driveway paved. We felt like going another 4 grand into the hole...it has something to do with For Sale signs in the future and the possibility of going even deeper into the hole in order to live in a house with a bit more land attached to it...and a barn...

So we have to move the shed. It's plunked down at the far end of the driveway. It has to move into the yard.

Now you will learn something about the Love of My Life, the guy I've been kissing for 19 years, my man Jethro. He is a perfectionist. He's also a dangerous optimist. He really believes he can do it all and do it right. So, our cheap crappy little tin shed will be set on a lovely concrete pad.

Holy crap people. I know he's right. I know. I know that when the cheap crappy tin shed finally collapses, that a nice shed can be built on that spot. I know that it's bad to cut corners and do things the fast cheap crappy way. But Dammit, I also know that I can't operate that way. If I try to do it perfectly- anything- I get mired in details, I go all Attention Deficit Overload Disorder, and eventually get really pissed off that it's not perfect yet and walk away from the whole mess. To just get anything done, ever, I have to do things the cheap crappy way.

And that's why I am not allowed to use power tools.

So Jethro digs a 10x10ft hole in our backyard. And it's like, four feet deep. Where did the dirt go? To the other side of the yard. Where the kids are digging a new hole. To bury Mr Bones and Skeledude.

I don't see the result. I'm a visual person but I can't picture it. All I can see from the kitchen window is a frickin mess, because to top it all off, the weedwacker is on the fritz and my back's been too sore to push the lawn mower around. I'm looking at a huge pile of dirt, a field of weeds, a pile of brush, and a nice square hole.

Did I mention the brush pile? No? Well I kinda let things get outta control for a year or two. (It had to do with antidepressants eventually.) Plus after the Hellish But Necessary Renovation of 2005 Which I Still Can't Talk About, I didn't have the heart to take care of my trashed and ravaged back yard anymore.

Or the mental capacity. It occurs to me that I don't know what the hell to do with all of this.

If I lived on a farm, you see, I'd have a burn pile. I'd take the cut branches out behind the barn, far enough away to not, you know, burn the barn. I'd have a bunch of old rims in a circle most likely, because I'd need a purpose for all the rims I'd been collecting, and I'd set the branches there to dry up. After some time I'd mosey out and light it up and maybe stand there with a hose. Just in case. I could get a burn permit here in town. But why? The wood is GREEN. It won't burn. And I have no burn pile to leave it long enough to dry!

AAAUUGGGHH! I don't know how people live like this!

Anyways, good ol Jethro brought home three pickup truck loads full of gravel on Saturday. The gravel partially filled the hole. Now all we have to do is get a concrete truck in...oh good lord. (Although I do love watching a man work. And I think my Jethro looks mighty fine swinging a shovel.)

Oh, and also, my fence had to be taken down to get the truck in the yard. Now my darn dog keeps trying to run away.

Did I mention that the pickup truck was in the yard? We discovered last year with the piano that the truck fits between the house and the shed. The mirrors have to be folded in. But it goes with about an inch on each side to spare. Kid you not.

I told Jethro that I thought it was really studly and manly, the way he squeezed that great big pickup truck through that tight space. The man has got skills.

This morning the kids and I loaded up a truck load of branches and took it to the regional waste disposal. I got the truck out of the yard. Don't be surprised. I've been driving that thing for almost three years and haven't scratched it (not counting my escape from the hospital after visiting my pshrink) so I got some skills of my own.

I should have left the dang truck shoehorned in there so that nobody can look at my horrendous back yard. You know it's bad if even I am embarrassed by it.

Oh, and did I mention that Jethro also framed in a new front step too? My old step was sacrificed to the Hellish Renovation Which I Still Can't Talk About. I'm tripping over concete cribbing at the front door.

To top it all off, and I am not making this up, Jethro also decided it was time to change the locks on the house but so far has forgotten this detail on his way out the door every morning. So, at about 1 or 2am, he's out there knocking on the door of his own house, waiting for me to wiggle out from under my snoring cat so that I can open the door....

Eventually the Nice People of Affluencia will gather on our front yard in an angry mob, ready to run us outta here. It's only a matter of time, kids. Only a matter of time.

21 comments:

Timmy said...

sounds like that one movie "Money Pit"!

Lovely!

Heidi the Hick said...

Dude, it's totally the "Money Pit" only not nearly as uh, stately. For what we've gone into debt it should be a friggin estate...aauuggh! I can't talk about it!!!!

dilling said...

We finally dumped our pile of branches, roots and yard waste that was two years in the making...we have a teeny tiny city lot...my yard space DOUBLED!!!! We thought we had so much room we planted two zukes and two squash back there... now, we have no room again, and twelve loaves of zucchini bread in the freezer...with more on the way...and wait til those sugar pumpkins are ripe... then our next plan is to dig out part of the yard for a brick patio...we have had the bricks out there for over a year, in a pile. When we dig out the yard, where do we put it? I could cry.

Biddie said...

What a nightmare. I didn't even recognize your yard. This,too shall pass, just like thehellish reno of '05.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I love your yard! I don't care how messy it is, and I've met your neighbors - I doubt that they will run you out of town. Eventually, this will be finished and the dog won't try and run away, but if he does he could always run here.

Balloon Pirate said...

Remember the Golden Rule of Growth:
Halfway through, everything looks like shit.

Can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Yeharr

Jake Allsop said...

You have the consolation that at least you don't have to live next door to people like you!
Love your writing, Heidi. Neglect everything else and just go on writing.
Jake

Heidi the Hick said...

Thank you KC. I'm not so much worried about my neighbours- who, as you know, I love- it's more the Evil Scottish Lady who owns the house next door. Mean like a snake. She was so pissed off at us for digging out our foundation while she was trying to sell her house.

I'll tell my dog to find you if he gets lost. It'll be a long trot for him but at least you'll take care of him.

Pirate- THAT IS SO TRUE! I'll have to get some After shots. I hope there is an After.

Jake- ding ding ding! Quote of the day prize! I'd hate to live next door to me. Actually I'd hate to live right next door to anybody, haha!

You might like to know that I haven't finished washing dishes in a week. I wash enough to eat off of and leave the rest. Why? Because I'm either goofing off with the younguns or writing! I'm writing!!!!

CindyDianne said...

I'd laugh all the way to the sticks if I got ran outa town. I feel like I teeter on the edge of getting run out anyway because of my dog. Coondawgs were just not made for city life! A little, well...vocal! ;-)

Heidi the Hick said...

HOWWWWER OOOOOO!

Yeah I'll be laughing all the way to the sticks. Townie dog or not.

Heidi the Hick said...

Actually I dont care what kind of dog you've got--put him on the edge of a 40 acre hay field and see what happens.

My dog could get used to it, I'll tell you that!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I think that this is a plan to get yourself run outta town. My mom and I both know you want to be in the country...so wouldn't this be the perfect attempt to be run outta town?

Heidi the Hick said...

Sure, especially since Town Folk have gotten out of the habit recently of running folks out of town with pitchforks and torches. Now they run folks outta town with BMWs!

Seriously, is nobody going to comment on the fact that both Jethro and I have shown off our lovely backsides in these photos? Somebody tell me what a great butt my man has. G'head.

Biddie said...

Glad you brought that up. I DID notice your backside(s), but thought it highly inappropiate for me to comment.

Heidi the Hick said...

Well now that I think of it, Biddie, coming from you it wouldnt' be inappropriate at all!

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

Haaaa! Love the yard! And the bones of the poor thing burried in the dirt - too funny!
The key thing - we have lived here a year and have one house key - so we have had knocking at all hours to get into our own house...

fatrobot said...

i have 3 troops of baboons, 10 midget fmailies and 13 beehives in my backyard

Heidi the Hick said...

Beck- as long as the bones they dig up are plastic I'm totally cool with it.

Fatrobot- YOU WIN THE COOLEST BACK YARD AWARD!!!!

CindyDianne said...

I noticed both of your backsides. I wasn't going to comment on Jethro's rear end. But, being that you commented on KB's (and he was pretty excited about the compliment btw), I believe I am safe.

Jethro has a nice backside! Your's ain't so bad either Chica! What a hot couple y'all are!

Distant Timbers Echo said...

I just... um... live...

...yeah I just live in an apartment.

Heidi the Hick said...

I know Red, I best not bitch about my yard, because at least I have a yard.