www.flickr.com

Friday, June 23, 2006

Sing For Your Supper

I'm thinkin about my doorbell
When ya gonna ring it, when ya gonna ring it?
I'm thinkin about my doorbell
When ya gonna ring it, when ya gonna ring it? OH
I'm thinkin about my doorbell
When ya gonna ring it, when ya gonna ring it?
I'm thinkin about my doorbell
Oh well

You don't seem to come around
Point the finger and make a sound
You don't seem to come around
Knock knock til ya knock em down

Make a sound and I'll make ya feel right
Right at home yeah
Right at home


The kids had their music recital last night. And their mommy sang that little ditty with them. Because it's just an innocent little song about wishing somebody would come and visit. That's what it is. I sang and played the tambourine, my Boy played the drums, and my Girl played the piano part. We pulled if off. My enthusiastic son had a hard time keeping to one tempo but we kept pulling it together. It was pretty funny.

The good news is, I did't ruin it, and therefore I can from here on, in case of emergencies, remind them that we did this fun little musical project together, and I don't know many mothers who would do that. Much less, mothers with a panic disorder. Of course, this is all part of my plan to do legitimately scary things in order to feel real fear as opposed to stupid irrational disorderly fear. Yep. That, and they had the best performance of the night, because instead of Mom bitching at them to practice, Mom played it with them.

However, if I'd wrecked it on them, they'd never forgive me.
Whew.

My daughter also did her piano solo, "Nocturne". She did make a little mistake but she totally parked it and kept going, ensuring that nobody would notice. She did a lovely job.

My son was supposed to do a drum solo -and we all love the drum solo don't we- but it didn't make its way into the program. So, since the music school's director has an almost sick love of the "Open Jam" the boy played "Cochise" by Audioslave for the jam. And he hammered it. He kicked the snot out of it. He played it like Brad Wilk himself was watching and needed to be impressed. He's not even ten yet and he drove it. We had to laugh. He was so serious! It was so cute!!!

Somehow I got suckered into a field trip today. What was I thinking? I swore off field trips over a year ago when the panic thing blew up in my face. Responsible for six kids, in the heat. While my puppy hangs around in the downstairs bathroom, holding it. I have to remind myself that other house dogs hold it while the family's at school or at work; he's kinda spoiled lucky.

I sang in front of strangers! I can handle a field trip! RRRRAAAAAWWWWRRRRRRR!

8 comments:

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Don't worry about your field trip, Heidigirl! Just remember two things. If you get lost, use the sun or the stars for direction. And always remember that bear meat is a bit greasy, so cook it well in the event you run out of pork n-beans.

That is, if you can catch a bear.

Elmo said...

Good job! Bravo!!!

Timmy said...

Congratulations Heidi!! You have a very rockin family! Hope the field trip went well!

Heidi the Hick said...

Jas- it was to the zoo. The bears are just so easy to catch there. They don't even try!

Elmo- YAAAAYYYYY!

Tim- Yeh, we rock, totally. Less than Ozzy & Sharon, but much much more than the Joe Simpsons.

I'm back from the field trip and my feet are some bad sore and other than losing track of my own son just ten steps away from the bus at home time, it went great. I did find the boy and all's well.

No more field trips for awhile....

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Great job! I could never do anything musical in front of anybody, much less a crowd!

How was the zoo? I find it embarrassing when the animals decide to mate and your with your kids. Uh...yah...they're just playing...

Heidi the Hick said...

I come from a family of musically talented people but I didn't get the full dose of talent. I have to really listen to what I'm going to sing, and then work very hard to get it. I can't read sheet music. Living with a recording engineer for half my life means I don't get away with anything. He damn near ruined singing in the car for me!!

It felt good to have a healthy fear that would scare anybody.

Yankee, you're good at so many things I"ll let you off the hook if you're not musical!

And yeah, the zoo. The Komodo Dragons were crawling over each other. These kids are old enough to point and snigger and roll their eyes. I...said...nothing!

CindyDianne said...

Heidi - I missed some good stuff! Congrats the performance with your kids and with healthy fear! Yay for you!!!

Dead man walking said...

Hah! Frisky zoo animals...
Glad you made it through the recital!