www.flickr.com

Monday, June 26, 2006

Short and Sweet

My girl and I had big plans to saddle up the two horses and go for a good hour long ride. However, we spent over an hour picking glass out of the corral after a window was mysteriously broken. I think I'm done with glass now. It'll be all plexiglass from now on.

We had about fifteen minutes to ride. No time for tack. Hop on.

My old half-arab has a reputation for being slightly ornery. He's arrogant, bossy, stubborn, intelligent and high strung. He's also sensitive, light mouthed, attentive, and magnificent, and I love him with a strength that defies logic and common sense. When I put a child on his back, he is the best old horse in the world.

Watching my daughter trot that horse around the corral bareback is such a buzz. This is the horse that bucked me off so bad when he was five and I was nineteen that I could barely walk for a week. This is the horse that won us a reserve championship in speed events at our saddle club a few years back. This horse is famous for trotting sideways to get away from evil mailboxes. And here he is, nose tucked, nicely collected, trotting along, carrying my precious child.

I know what you're thinking. If my kid's so precious how can I put her on this crazy beast? I know him. I know every side of him. And I know that if I took him out in the pasture field, he'd have his head up and his nostrils flared, ready to flag his tail out behind him and run like hell. I know that if I rode him down the gravel road, he'd be coiled up like a spring, ready to fight-or-flight at the smallest aberration in the landscape. He knows the difference between me and her.

Our mare needs hours and hours of riding. She's still fretting about the bit in her mouth, and as much as all this bareback riding is good for her, she needs to have a cinch around her chest and get used to it and stop fussing. She's a truly great horse, even with her lack of experience. In fact, her progress despite her patchy training is proof of her greatness. I've only worked with one other horse in thirty years with such a sweet disposition and sharp mind.

But she needs to be broken into a good sweat and taken on a few hours worth of trails. She's not working hard enough!

I had a few blissful minutes riding with my daughter. I always wanted that. I knew there was a chance that my kids wouldn't be into horses but I really lucked out.

It's not perfect: we had to leave, quick pack up , and jump in the car to go home. But I got my ride even if it was short. It was better than nothing.

As for the other love of my life, my husband, we reach our FIFTEENTH ANNIVERSARY in less than a week. I'll be writing a lot this week about our past, and our future, and all that's good and bad about being in love.

7 comments:

Dead man walking said...

15 Years! Now that is good news. Nice to know that sometimes love does conquer all!

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Happy anniversary honey. I would share a story about my horse and I bonding...

...BUT WE DIDN'T! I swear Satan owned him before I did. A-hole horse.

Heidi the Hick said...

Kari, I know for a fact that it will happen for you! She's all over those horses!

Shane- Sometimes Love struggles to conquer but ultimately triumphs!!!

nerdboy- Yeah, I'd say by the sounds of it that Satan did own that horse before you got him!

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Why did you have to stop riding? Hope you can ride longer next time you're at the farm!

15 years. Wow. Cranky and I have our 13th anniversary next month. Where has the time gone?!

Balloon Pirate said...

I wanna bring my kids up to your place and let them ride.

Yeharr

Heidi the Hick said...

Well, Yankee, we had to get back to the home establishment in enough time to feed the younguns and get them to bed. I could have stayed on my horse's back longer but I would have paid for it later, when everybody had a nasty tired meltdown!

Pirate- I'm thinking that once I'm certified and qualified and official, I might do free lessons for blogbuddies.

Heidi the Hick said...

OH Cindy, like I said, there was a chance that neither of them would be into it. But there's still hope. If he runs into a nice girl who loves horses, he'll probably be all, "My mom has horses. Sometimes I help in the barn..."

Y' never know...