www.flickr.com

Tuesday, June 20, 2006

How Jethro Got His Name

I can't decide what to write about today, so I'll do both.

PART 1 HOW JETHRO GOT HIS NAME
My husband had to go downtown one winter evening. Downtown here means Toronto. If you live anywhere in the GTA (Greater Toronto Area) as in, you can get to Yonge & Front in less than 45 minutes by car in the middle of the night, a drive which takes 3 hours during the day, you refer to the city as "downtown." I refer to it as the "City that Ate Ontario." But that's just me and I digress.

So my Big Man is in the city to see a band or something, and being from "Out of Town", found himself faced with a newfangled parking meter. Now, my man is a real smart feller. (Also a real fart smeller. Ha ha!!) He's not a guy who's going to back down in defeat when faced with a newfangled parking meter. I would. I'd just get back in my car, downcast, and fight back the tears all the way home, once again foiled by the evil and mysterious ways of the city. But my Brilliant Husband has taken three Toyotas and made a go cart out of them before hitting his teens; he's changed the windshield posts on a Chevette; he's hot rodded his guitar more than I can count; he's rewired about three recording studios. So he stood there and squinted at the offensive parking meter, deciding whether to figure out how to use it, or just modify it.

Picture him standing there, a large guy in a big black parka with pockets all over it, long straight hair sticking out from under his knit toque, hiking boots, and baggy jeans. Staring down the parking meter.

Who should happen to be walking down the street at that moment but a hometown, former small town dwelling current straight male hairstylist- Yep, you read that correctly- acquaintance/buddy/older brother of childhood friends, otherwise known behind his back as The Mayor of Crazyville. He's got a name like Adam Adams or Robert Roberts. For the sake of simplicity and anonymity we'll call him John Johns.

So there he is, John Johns, the Mayor of Crazyville, walking down the street, being his ultra-cool, hip, urban self, and I'm not making that up, he really is hip in the way that his 80's punk rocker past proves. He sees this hulking hick over by there beside his car and the Mayor thinks to himself, "Huh. JETHRO THERE IS HAVING SOME TROUBLE WITH THE PARKING METER."

At eye level they both looked up and realize that they knew each other. John Johns invited the hapless hick for a drink and fessed up that he was sniggering at him.
And that is a true story.

13 comments:

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I forgot that TMOC gave Jethro his name. I had heard this story before but forgotten. What a card that TMOC.

Heidi the Hick said...

He is a prize, isn't he! Good for the comedy. I love that story.

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Number "3)Have you considered counselling? Because as much as you are a truly wonderful person in every way, I don't think you realize how your rare bursts of anger frighten people." moved me because that is the way I used to be. It made me think of how much I've changed and become more compassionate and human. That was a good one!

Excellent story telling too, Heidi!!

Heidi the Hick said...

Wow, Jas, that was you??? Good for you. Change is hard, believe me I know. I really feel like taking the ten things list down though. The catharsis felt good but a little too nekkid in a bad way.

Kari- it really happened that way!

Biddie said...

I love any story with TMOC in it!

Smartypants said...

"I'd just get back in my car, downcast, and fight back the tears all the way home, once again foiled by the evil and mysterious ways of the city."

Aw. Heidi. I wish I could show you around some of the big cities I've called home. = )

Heidi the Hick said...

You know what, Smarty, I would probably like the Smartypants Big City Tour because you would show me the fun stuff. It would be more interesting.

On my own? Nooooo! (looking up at buildings open mouthed and wide eyed...)

Heidi the Hick said...

Life- you should write some TMOC stories. Yours would be the best and besides, that's really my only good one. I do know there are a lot more!!!!

Heidi the Hick said...

Hey biddie, I commented on your last one but they didn't show up. But I was there! Really I was!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

You know i know the city of T.O. I used to visit TMOC there. But that was before he playing "grown up". I would take you on a tour. There's some freaky places that I've seen courtesy of TMOC. There would be no crying or hiding in vehicles. Trust me.

Heidi the Hick said...

Hey we did ok last time we were in the city, didn't we?

Timmy said...

I wont tell you my nickname, or how i got it.

Jethro, is a great name! Great story too!

Heidi the Hick said...

Tim, you're so funny. Other people have blog nicknames and won't tell us their real names.

And by the way, yes, Heidi is my real name!