www.flickr.com

Monday, June 19, 2006

HAY! Me, in my element.

Well, we did it.











We got a wagonload of hay into the haymow before the rain. It was supposed to go in on Saturday, except that we had a little problem with the hay elevator. I won't bother with the whole hay-elevator-function-thing, since some of you (and you know who you are!) already get it. Let's just say we ain't throwin the bales up there by hand.




By the time we got the links fixed and got it working, it was 9 pm and the sun was just about down. (I love summer evenings!) So we put up hay on Sunday. After church. Right up by the highway. Where all can see us workin on a Sunday. On Father's Day. I was workin on Father's day Sunday with my father and the father of my children, and the whole time thinking, what's in it for them? Well, Dad loves having critters to take care of, and my husband has the right idea about keeping his wife happy.

Hay is one of God's gifts. It's one of my favourite smells in the world. I always roll down the window when I drive past a field of fresh cut. But as with many of God's gifts, there's a big bad downside! The stalks are very sharp on the cut end, and the leaves, when dried, crumble into tiny bits that find their way into every crevice of your clothes and your sweaty body...which isn't nearly as sexy as it sounds, let me tell you. When you're haying, you have to wear denim or you'll end up with red welts all over your skin from being scratched. Also, hay season takes place in the summer heat. Say no more. It was mercifully breezy, although it blew the hay around something bad, but, it was also brutally humid.

There's a trick to flinging hay bales. We've never used a hay fork, not sure why, it just isn't the way my Grandfathers did it so we don't either. Each bale is held together with two parallel twines. I grab the twine furthest from me, pull the bale toward me, then grab them both and hoist it up onto my thighs. This way the weight is on my legs instead of pulling on my back. Then when you let it go, you kind of give it the old Pelvic Swing and let the bale go just at the right time.

How is my back? Not much worse than before. I was on the wagon, so I had the easiest job. Most of the time I could roll the bales towards me and let gravity work. The bottom row was really difficult though, because I had to pick them up. Dad was up in the mow, stacking them. Poor old Jethro was on the ground, taking them off the wagon and setting them on the elevator, getting all the chaff blown into his face. I was picking tiny flakes of hay out of his ears in the shower last night. (That actually was much sexier than it sounds!)

I took the kids up to the haymow for a look around. It's like a different world up there. The humidity that zapped us outside, was gone. The spaces between the barn boards let in only a cool gentle breeze, and diffused the harsh cloudless light into a hazy glow. It smelled sweet. Unseen birds hiding in the rafters chirped as if we weren't even there.

I remembered playing up there, always aware that in an old barn like this, you could fall through the floor at any time, and only now wondering how an old barn can hold up tons of hay but will snap under the weight of a 70lb child! Here's the floor under my feet....

Long before our time, these big wooden wheels were used to pull the entire hay wagon up to the mow level, where it would be unloaded. I still can't quite picture how that worked.

I treasure this barn. Never again will these be built; look at the axe marks, and wooden pegs holding the beams together.

My little part time farm kids.

My ol man.

Flakes of hay stuck to my chest.

The reason why we do all this.

I didn't get to ride, since my plan was to put hay in on Saturday, then spend Sunday visiting the Dads, then riding. Well, it was important to visit the Dads and we did. The horses got a pat and a cuddle and then I left them wanting more.

I feel like I can get through the week now. I feel like a very lucky little girl.

8 comments:

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Great barn! A childhood friend of mine had a great barn with trap doors and everything. They had all kinds of critters, including some goats we used to ride. (We were young and light, I promise.)

I'll finally be home tomorrow night and maybe I'll manage to post on Wednesday. It's been a long week!

Heidi the Hick said...

Barns are so great. I'm going to have my own some day!!!

You must be missing home real bad. Safe trip!

jo(e) said...

What a wonderful post. I loved the photos and the descriptions. I can just smell the hay.

Heidi the Hick said...

Thank you Jo(e). I really wanted to share it and I'm glad you enjoyed!

Heidi the Hick said...

It really itches between your cheeks! Not sexy!!!!

hhahahahhaha

Distant Timbers Echo said...

First off, you have cute armpits. Just thought I'd say that.

Okay then, onto the regularly scheduled comment. Those elevators can be a pain in the ass, huh? You know what? I don't think I'd rather be anywhere else than working with my wife out on something, a garden or working hay. That would be my favorite place to be come Father's Day. Better than spending it with the extended family and fighting the whole day (I assume everyone's extended family is like that!).

Your barn loft sounds sweet as hell. I love it in the loft of a good barn. It can be any place you've ever wanted it to be! Ask Mar! Haha! That's amazing you still have one of those hay wheels up there!

I remember my first haying, I was 5 years old and got to drive the truck along the bales and all the older boys and men swung the hay up on the trailor. I joined 'em in later years when my body started getting built. Still have some of those muscles to this day! haha!

Excellent post H. Love you. Jas...

Heidi the Hick said...

You know what Jas, I actually went back and looked to see if I really do have cute armpits. That's how pathetic I am.

The funniest thing is that my Dad says on Saturday night, "Y'know every time we get hay in I think, we were really lucky nothing broke this time. I've been saying that for years!" I guess we were due!

I love working beside my man. We've worked on cars together, on the farm, house renovations, all kinds of stuff. I hope my fragile body allows more of these projects in the future. We work pretty well together!

I kind of regret that my kids don't get the full farm treatment...we do one haywagon a year, not three cuttings with numerous wagonloads! At least they get a taste of it. This summer the girl's getting started on the driving thing!

Now I gotta go over to Mar's and see what she knows! Thanks for the love Redneck!

Heidi the Hick said...

I've got lots more pictures to drag out at a later date...