www.flickr.com

Monday, August 17, 2009

Ol' Bo is going home at the end of August.

Oh, I am going to miss the old goat so much! I know he's got his faults but he's a good horse. He's a pretty good teacher, and he got me through the last half of my rider levels. And I think he's pretty handsome.

He was a fun challenge for me too, because I was determined to melt his crusty old heart, and I'd like to think I succeeded. I just like geldings. They tend to be goofy and sneaky, but I find it endearing. I'm a sucker for a good-looking dude, every time, eh?

I think he's looking good, considering his 19 years. He's been getting good feed and lots of exercise, not to mention a few good solid groomings every week. His coppery sorrel coat glows in the sun. Imagine how he must have looked ten years ago. Gorgeous.
But just in case you get to thinking he's mellowed in his old age, or become content in his temporary home at the Little Valley...

...you'd be mistaken!

I'm gonna miss his grumpy ol' face!

7 comments:

Heidi Willis said...

So sad! has all that time already gone by?

My guess is you'd melt anyone's crusty heart!

Heidi the Hick said...

Awww... I always give it my best!

Yes, it's been just about a year and a half since he came to the Little Valley. Hard to believe, eh?

Meanwhile, a search is on for his replacement. Basically the next horse has to be as good at all of his best skills, but with a much, much friendlier personality.

Some beginner riders are a little intimidated by his grouchy faces. I just tell him he's full of it. We get along fine. I think his owner will be happy to have him back again. I would be.

JKB said...

AW, at least you had fun with him, and he had a good home during that time his owner was away!!

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah, I think Susan gave him a really good home. It was so much better for him to be working and exercising (body and brain) rather than hanging around in a field getting old.

Brit said...

Aw - that is sad. But I'm glad you had him for a little while. And I'm sure you both benefited from that relationship.

Kerri said...

He looks like he has lots of personality and spunk. Kinda like you, huh?

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah, he's stubborn like me too!

Brit, I know for sure I benefited from our time with him.