www.flickr.com

Friday, December 19, 2008

SNOWMAGEDDON!!

Yesterday, all I heard about was the impending doom of...STORMZILLA!  Since I generally avoid watching TV, especially this time of year, most of my information came from my two kids, who were just itching for a snow day.  At my daughter's high school, if the buses are cancelled, the whole school shuts down.  She figured it was National Skip Day anyways, since all the teachers said there wasn't going to be any work.  Just sort of slack off and party.  My son's class was planning a skate at the rink and a party.

Oh, but the SNOWPHOON could change all those plans!  I mean, you can't go to school in a SNURRICANE!    

This morning I got up at 6:30 and looked out at the grey dawn sky.  Nothing.  No wind, not a single flake of snow.  I dug the kids out of bed.

By 8 am there were ten snow flakes casually floating around, not looking all that businesslike.  

By 9 things were getting serious.

By 11 am it was full on.  Tiny hard snow pellets are falling, like they mean it.  I shuffled around the block with the pug.  The snow was up to his belly, making it that much easier to grab a mouthful on the way.  Jethro's session got cancelled today because the musician did not think an hour's drive in this weather was a good way to spend the day.

This is what it looks like outside.
















So, we are hunkered down.  Jethro's assistant, (known here as Bubba!) gave us a box set of the Arrested Development first season.  That should take up some time.  (Bubba's sweetie of a girlfriend also came up with SNURRICANE! so she's totally good with me.  She's awesome.)

I suggest wearing blankets today.


15 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Good luck - with the hunkering and all!

Party on Monday?

Heidi the Hick said...

party on monday!

CindyDianne said...

WUHOO!

Party on Monday, Parrrtay on Monday!

CindyDianne said...

Do I need to bring anything? Help cook?

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah but it's all imaginary food so it won't take too much work. I love partying in my head. so satisfying.

CindyDianne said...

ok, but...

Can you make some of those sausage ball thingies?

Heidi Willis said...

I am soooooo jealous! here it's rainrainrain!!! And it's 37 degrees. Cold, but not cold enough.

Grrrrrrr!

I'm so at that party! I'm bringing cookies. And tea, maybe. Or hot cocoa. Do you have a preference?

Heidi the Hick said...

Sausage ball thingies, yes.

Tea, hot chocolate, egg nog, rum, whatcha got?

Bring anything.

And tell everybody okay?

(The wind is howling through my bay window... and I just shovelled the knee-high snow off the back deck so my poor little pug can get through the snow to take a wiz!)

dilling said...

um, yeah, as wimpy as we westcoasters are(for a damn good reason we live here, it is supposed to be TROPICAL and rainforest-y))...so totally ready to let you have your own weather back..that light, wind-dry, icey-underneath shit...oh, did I just curse? So very sorry but I am cold and grouchy. It's one thing when we are used to wet, slush and ice but this cold, wet, slick, dry and thick snow with a bitterly cold wind that adds what? Wind Chill Factor? WTF? So not our west coasstyle. And, in fact, we are so ready for someone to take it off our hands. Come take you weather pattern home.

JKB said...

Yahoo, party on monday!

And that is some kind of snowalicious snurricane!

(Should I bring anything? Johnny Depp movies, perhaps? I have many on dvd)

Lynn Sinclair said...

I shoveled so much yesterday that I thought I might be going colour blind -- all I could see was white. Snow for Christmas -- bah, humbug.

Lynn Sinclair said...

Hey, I just noticed the link to Take Me Home. Thanks, Bud!!!!

Unknown said...

I am looooovvvvving the snow this year! Look out for more tomorrow!

Heidi the Hick said...

David, there is something so satisfying about having a kitchen full of food, a warm house, and a raging snow storm outside!

Especially when you can call it fun names, like STORMZILLA!

I complain about the cold and the work of moving all that snow but I know it makes summer all that more enjoyable!

Lynn- You're welcome! I hope some of those gorgeous critters find homes.

jkb, yes, I think that's a very good idea. (Does Edward Scissorhands count as a Christmas movie??)

Dilling... I'd take my cold snowy weather back, but we already have enough of it here! It's okay to be a weather wimp you know. Everybody in Manitoba has the rest of this continent beat anyways. No matter how bad it gets here, it's gonna be colder in Manitoba. I don't know if that makes you feel better...

by the way, "indie faith" up there grew up in the country somewhere around Winnipeg. That would explain maybe his enthusiasm for an Ontario winter!

Coffeypot said...

I woke up and saw snow on the television. There was a 13 car pile up on I-95 somewhere in the NE and drifts up to five feet. I put on my t-shirt and drove over to PetSmart to do my Santa thing. Love the South.