www.flickr.com

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Disconnect

Mac Black is dying.

My awesome little computer, my antique, the First Computer I Ever Loved, isn't working right now. We suspect it's the power supply, the nifty little YoYo that connected Mac Black to the wall and charged up the battery. Last night Jethro got out the biggest f****ing screwdriver I've ever seen and mercilessly pried apart the YoYo, sending bits of plastic with the little Apple logo all over my desk. I shivered.

He thinks he can save it. It'll take massive modification but he figures he'll fix it so it can still be plugged into the wall. I won't be able to unplug it and cart it all over the house anymore. This makes me quite sad because I loved being completely mobile. I could work or blog or fix up pictures anywhere. My creativity wasn't tied to my desk. I don't care though- I just want my Mac Black back!

It's not the perfect computer. It's kinda heavy, and being the 1999 or 2000 model, ridiculously old in the world of computers. The screen has been getting darker and more dull as time goes on. And it's pretty darn slooooooow. But I love it! It has a cool two tone texture and amber keys. The case slopes down to a soft curve at the front so that I rest my delicate wrists on a smooth comfortable surface. I know where everything is. It's mine.

Jethro bought it for me from one of his colleagues in October of 2005. I resisted. I hated computers. "It's not a computer," he rebuffed, "it's a MAC." He'd been using Macs for years in the studio and finally got one for home. It was nice. Pretty. Slick. I didn't give a crap though because I'd just freshly fired myself as his secretary and vowed to never use a computer again. But my smart husband didn't like what was going on with my mental state. "You need to write. If you don't have a good computer you're not going to write." So he brought the little Mac home and plugged it in and lured me to it. And now here we are.

We are a totally Mac freak family. There are three in our house right now. There's one at my mother's house, one at my mother-in-law's house, and like, four or five or twenty at the studio. I don't know. That's the studio's business. Put it this way- when Jethro went to buy his new MacBook they gave him a discount. They damn well better. Don't kid yourself, the recording studio biz is all Mac. They want to actually get stuff done instead of fart around fixing computers up. I admit that we often feel like a minority, in a world where a different language is spoken, with odd words like "virus" and "spyware" and "bios update" and "driver patches" and the word that I find most disturbing in the universe- "microsoft". How can that word ever denote something good???? Sometimes it's hard being Mac but I don't care. I am never going back.

Today I'm typing this on his brand spankin new MacBook. People, meet Mac White. Mac White and I aren't totally in love yet. Jethro's a bit of a brat with stuff like this- he always gets his way. He slid this one past me with a two part attack: first, he justified the purchase because he can edit music with it. He's got ProTools on it and two little heavy expensive looking speakers, and now he doesn't have to drive to the studio to work. "All part of the plan, baby," he croons. "I'm looking ahead. For when we cut outta town and live in the country." You just know I'm not gonna argue with that. His second attack was the bribe. "This is just my entry level MacBook," he assures me. "When I can afford the MacBookPro (that would be the one in the brushed steel finish which costs...a lot of f****ing cash) then you can have this one when yours cacks."

Mac White is beeyootiful. Gorgeous. Shiny, white, elegant, like a minimalist pacifist angel who could slickly and cleanly end the world, it is that powerful, but benevolent, and in fact quite friendly and possibly even fun. Mac White here is the mate you always imagined you could have...if only you were cleaner and smarter and more deserving.

Mac White was built for somebody else. The screen is smaller and I swear everything on it is smaller. I feel like I have to squint. There's no YoYo to plug it in. Instead there's a little square with slick rounded corners and these two odd little legs that pop out, which have no purpose I can see but of course, Mac White is too smart for me and I may simply just not understand.

Mac White is hurting me. The front edge is perfectly flat and perfectly square. It rubs my wrists. I hate it. Jethro is big. When he types on Mac White, the heels of his big hard hands rest on the square edge. He does not feel my pain. I resent Mac White.

I want to love you, Mac White, I really do. You just don't know how much I long to love you. I could ease the pain of losing Mac Black some day if I knew you would be there for me and we could have a brilliant working relationship. You're gorgeous and everything...but I just don't know if you're right for me.

It looks like someday we'll have to come to a few agreements and spend the time getting to know each other, but I just don't know if we're ever going to bond. You might always be my heartbroken rebound computer.

I want my portly, tubby, slow little old Mac Black back.










...it's frustration day all around. My email is all screwed up because the Faceless Giant Corp that does the email serving thing has decided to let MSN take care of it...and I f****ing HATE MSN. Got that? Got that search robots? I HATE MSN. We called around for a new power supply but apparently "vintage" is only desirable in cars and the guy at Apple told us to look on eBay. Gah!!!! And I hate MSN. Also, I can't find my glasses and I'm squinting at the screen.

I want my Mac Black. I cannot believe that ME of all people is so distraught over this. Me, who figured in 1987 that there was no point in taking any data classes in high school cuz this whole computer thing was gonna blow over and I'd just type my stories up on a typewriter after writing with a pen, and then go bug off and take my horse for a ride. Yeah. Computers are temporary, man, but horses are forever. Don't you forget it.

22 comments:

Coffeypot said...

MAC users are loyal to the Apple. I have never use a MAC, so I do not understand this fascination, but I do love my pc. Yes, laptops are expensive, but with all considered (your sanity, mobility, faster processing, more storage, etc) it might be a wise investment. You could fall in love all over again.

dilling said...

my first computer was a mac(it got stolen) and I still miss that thing...maybe our next one...especially if I can get Michael to work from home and move out here to the mountains...

Biddie said...

Were you just speaking greek? I can barely work this pc and you're talking about a Mac?
SIGH.
I need to get out more....

Heidi the Hick said...

Biddie I don't speak pc anymore...what??? Imagine how I resisted when he wanted to force me to get used to a whole new system!!! It's bad enough to get used to a new computer but that was scary. I'm okay now, but you know...we fear change...

Dilling yes you should move out to the mountains. That's the only way you should leave your beautiful little house. And working from home does have its benefits!

Coffeypot- yeah we Mac people are kinda weird. The big weirdness is the price. They are sooooo expensive!!!

Michael Colvin said...

Good luck on getting your yoyo sorted. If I leave my job I will have to give back my two laptops and buy one of my own. That sucks. I haven't had to buy my own one in eight years.

raine said...

I had to laugh - Jamie has an IMAC - I have a boring old Dell laptop. I just got it awhile ago, traded my big PC for it. I looove having a laptop - "my precious". But in our house it is still all about the MAC. I swear you MAC people have a secret handshake! :0) Every know and then I say something like "MACs suck", just for the sheer entertainment value of watching Jame sputter.
I hope you can bond with your new friend soon.

Heidi the Hick said...

Tod, they gave you TWO laptops? Cool! Too bad you're gonna leave their sorry butts, hee hee!

As of tonight, Mac Black is recuperating from emergency surgery and currently plugged into the hall receptacle, charging. The YoYo is GONE!! Sob! It's got an ugly ol black rectangular power supply now, which is all spliced together onto the cord with yellow electical tape. Once the battery's charged, Dr Jethro will do a real nice job of doing whatever he'll do to get the power supply attached and...

what? Me, talking computer fixing????

Gah!!!

horse horse horse barn saddle bridle lope hoof mane tail dandy brush curb bit halter forelock.

whew.

Heidi the Hick said...

Rain- haha, precious!!!! I know, I'm all possessive of MY laptop!

My son has to deal with Mac prejudice at school. He's always defending Mac. He has to come home to get his secret handshake! It's true it's like a secret society but not so secret. I too, get kind of red in the face and incoherent when people say Mac sucks!!!

it must be funny to watch...

Astaryth said...

One of the reasons I have not gotten a Mac is that there were always some programs/games that I wouldn't be able to run on the Mac. Usually something I needed for work... Now that you can run Windows stuff on a Mac I am taking a REALLY good look at them. I'm hoping my next laptop will be one!

Anita said...

I used macs in 1984 in computer programming class...lol
Haven't used one since...
I do understand losing something you are very comfortable with... I hate that... Hope you find something you love just as much (or more)

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah, Jethro was overjoyed when he realized he could use his pc accounting program on his Mac. He had to swtich back and forth before.

He got quickbooks right before I fired myself. I never learned it. I figure I do other stuff good so I'll leave the accounting to people who are good at it. He's not real good at accounting either but he gets it ready for our expert.

Looks like I'll be able to get a bit more time out of Mac Black!!!! Yay!!!!!

But I still can't find my darn glasses. grrrrr.

Marni said...

Will these make it all better?

http://www.laineygossip.com/Johnny_Depp_in_Venice_to_honour_Tim_Burton.aspx

You must look at the pictures.

Hugs!

Coffeypot said...

I can commiserate with you. Our microwave oven gave up the ghost yesterday. Stop by and read about it.

Doughnut said...

Heidi..try ebay. I bet you can get one just like it for next to nothing :)

Anissa said...

Yay for Dr. Jethro! I'm right there with you, salvaging what time I can from the old laptop. Mine, while not a Mac, is nice and little and suits me. Unfortunately its battery is long gone, so I must be plugged in at all times.

Hang tough, Mac Black!

Balloon Pirate said...

Start posting on mac support groups and Craigslist that you want a new old Mac Black. I'm sure there's a bunch of folks out there that have one that's sitting in their bottom drawer, and can be had for almost no Mac jack. Then Jethro can swap out its hard drive for yours, and you'll have your old Mac Black back in a new old Mac body.

I edit on a mac, and when I get myself on solid ground, I'll be getting the Macbook Pro myself!

yeharr

Heidi the Hick said...

I am surrounded by genius!

Doughnut said...

BTW: did you say you hate MSN? lol

fatrobot said...

macs rule
the new imacs are h4wt!

Heidi the Hick said...

Yes, I hate MSN!!!!!!!

And Mac rules! AT least in this world they do.

Pluvialis said...

Mac power supplies are rubbish! The plastic insulation wears away and then they start shorting, and then -- your poor old mac gets fried. People go crazy about this -- they fail so often, and are so expensive to replace, people describe them as an extra tax on having a mac laptop. I went out and bought a generic, non-apple power supply for my powerbook almost straight away...it is ugly, but it's reliable. And it has a nifty blue LED on the transformer that makes a weird, creepy, Burtonesque glow when the light is off....!

Heidi the Hick said...

Burtonesque glow! I'm sold!