www.flickr.com

Monday, September 03, 2007

Back To Work

An odd thing happens on Labour Day Monday, in the evening. Kids who convulsed with disgust at the very word school start talking about what they'll put in the locker and where they're going to clip the house key inside the knapsack. And who'll they see tomorrow. There's this barely audible buzz, faint and distant, just like any hint of a happy face.

They'll be okay.

So will I.

She's in Grade 8 now, Ruling The School, and he's in Grade 6 among his fellow Rocket Scienticianists of Tomorrow. And me? I've got a novel to query, agents to charm, horses to ride, and a very messy house to clean. And a dog to walk. D'ya think I'll be so busy that I won't even notice their absence?

Nah.

9 comments:

Doughnut said...

You will notice but other things will fill in the time. I'm sure the first few days you will be looking forward to them returning home after school. Enjoy these days as they pass by way too quickly.

Biddie said...

I am going to miss my little criminals, too.
These days really DO pass too quickly. Look at KC. Second year of college now...SIGH...
Funny, Kayla and Jessica are smiling and talking about school, too. Strange.

raine said...

I can't stand it, my baby is going into Grade One. Gone all day. Before we know it it will be summer again. And maybe you will be published by then!

Anita said...

You will notice, but you just have to concentrate on the things you will have time to do now that they are gone for a few hours... That's the only downside to homeschooling our son, no time to catch up on things...lol

Heidi the Hick said...

Amethyst, that's one of the big reasons why I never homeschooled my kids!

Rain, I know. Those days were hard for me.

I didn't even get a goodbye kiss from my kids!!!!

Biddie, your little criminals! haha!

Leroy, it's true. It just flies by. I"m trying not to think about high school.

Coffeypot said...

It seems that, with all the activities at school, you will not have time to do anything but do the parent thing. But we must enjoy what little time we have to ourselves to the most. I like TV. And the Waffle House. And reading. And looking around. And… Damn, I’m board.

captain corky said...

I work at a place where it's always back to work. It stinks.

I hope you get lots of work done on your various projects.

Notsocranky Yankee said...

My kids started school last Wednesday! I guess they are easing into it -- 3 days last week, 4 days this week...

I can't believe summer is over. I never stopped moving and it went by WAY too quickly! Good thing I like fall so much. Enjoy the quiet!

(Sorry I haven't been commenting much. I barely had time to read blogs this summer, much less write anything on mine)

LadyBronco said...

Heidi -
Mine are in 6th and 8th as well, and I miss them terribly when I'm at work. :0(