www.flickr.com

Monday, September 24, 2007

Beautiful September

Those are not two words I normally put together. In the past I've associated this month with summer's end, putting my kids back in school, forking out huge amounts of money to said schools, and feeling the chill as fall creeps in.

It was a productive weekend. We need to build a safe solid deck behind our house. We've put it off for a couple of years but it has to be done, whether we can afford it or not. It coud take until next spring to complete, but we have to get started. I coudn't face any more construction for so long...but it's time. I'm ready. Nature co-operated with us.

I feel a little different about September this year.

Maybe I'm changing, maybe becoming more appreciative. It could be relief after an incredibly hot and dry summer. The weather has been absolutely gorgeous for the last week and that could change my attitude. I think it has something to do with me though. I'm using my time better. I'm riding more often and everybody knows that horse time is good for your health. I'm also taking a book outside with me for a read. Even though I haven't been writing much new stuff I feel like what I'm working on has focus. Purpose!!

This time of year is perfect for being outside. It's warm but not so hot that it slows you down to a damp crawl. This feels so symbolic! I could hardly get anything done all summer. This could be my time.

I still worry about my scattered state of mind. Three distinct times this weekend my husband, who speaks fluent Heidi, had to stop me mid-sentence to clarify what and who the heck I was talking about. I forget very important things. I'm still moody and easily agitated to the point of incoherence. On Saturday I had a severe hate on for him for about three hours and realized full on that I had no idea why I was so darn mad at him.

All's well. The weekend ended with our usual "I'm crazy about you" "Oh good, I'm crazy" kind of conversation.

Big ol Jethro spent Saturday putting the beginnings of our new back porch together. Mr Post Hole augered nine big holes for the sonotubes. Jethro spent the rest of the day taking FORTY THREE bags of concrete mix out of the back of the truck and over to the wheelbarrow, where he mixed it all up and poured it into the tubes.

Our back yard looks like a war zone or a different planet and Jethro is kind of sore.

He's a big guy. He's as strong as an ox. He's from good British blood that can work all day, carrying heavy things and stopping only for a beer and a hunk of bread with a slice of cheese on it. The problem is, he's got a body built for work and a brain, ears and heart meant for music. He hasn't got enough muscle tone on that massive trunk of his. Well...he does now.

Work, the normal kind with recording studios and deadlines and computers, has been stressing him badly lately. I'm not saying that it was a good idea for him to be heaving forty three bags of concrete the other day, but it was something different. A man needs to get outside and build something.

That night I braced the heels of my hands against his skin and leaned on him with all my might. I tried to work the kinks and aches out of him. It was a half hour after his shower and he was still sweating. All day, he wiped his sweating forehead on the sleeve of his T shirt. His hair was in a ponytail but still got tangled. As he worked, yellow leaves floated from the trees around our yard, settling around the posts that'll hold up our deck some day, and he said over and over that this was the perfect time of year for this kind of work.

The sky was the most unbelievable blue.

21 comments:

dilling said...

that was pretty...

Biddie said...

I am loving September, too, although I am still not leaving the house very often.
I'm glad that you're finally getting the back porch put back together. You'll be able to sit back there with a book and the Pug.
From the way you described it, I could see Jethro back there, working away.

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh the poor guy. All by himself too.


I hope the new version of our yard turns out pretty!

I keep looking out the back windows now and trying to picture it. We used to live outside when we had the old deck. Every meal. The last two years I haven't even wanted to be outside because it's ugly and the gravel is sharp and it's just all wrong.

I think it'll be worth the work. I love being outside and I want to enjoy it again!

CindyDianne said...

I am glad you are feeling more positive about September.

I am an October girl. I LOVE it!

Anita said...

I love reading your blog...Beautifully written...

I'm an Autumn person, not specific to month... But I hate HATE the cold... I have to force myself to look at the (few and far between!) good things of winter...

Michael Colvin said...

[A man needs to get outside and build something.]

I've been out and working on building my tan, does that count? ;)

dilling said...

our September is rotten...cold and grey... not the best summer. I think that camping is officially over as Michael is signing the weekends away to hockey now. We've thrown in our beach towels til next year.
I have the pellet stove on right now.

raine said...

We rebuilt our deck a couple of years ago. It was hard to be excited about a reno that replaces something that was already there, but better than falling through the rotting wood...love your description.

A Paperback Writer said...

Heidi,
Autumn is usually nice in Utah because it's not so bloody hot. And the mountain scenery is at its best because there's no heat haze in the air.
Tod,
Aren't you English? Uh, "tan" and "UK" are not things that went well together in my experience -- unless you've been down to Spain for a holiday.
("Get a tan from standing in the English rain.... I am the eggman, we are the eggmen, I am the walrus. Goo goo ka-choo.")

Heidi the Hick said...

English tan just requires more work. Tod's a hard working guy!

Jethro burns in about five minutes but he's never heard of sunscreen. Or hats. Too busy!!!!!

Doughnut said...

Jethro and I are on the same wave length. I don't like to wear any sun screen or hats when I am working outside. I like to feel the breeze on my head.

I hope your emotions find stability with the weather this past week and that you are able to maintain it. Autumn is the best time of the year as far as I am concerned.

As I am typing this at 3:30 a.m., the rain is just pouring down outside. What a great time to sleep! BTW: Hope you are sleeping well too as it does wonders for the mind & body. I will blow the rain your way if it will help :)

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Building things is good huh? Our porch is coming right along but I don't want to post more pix until it's done. We have the same weather here - don't know how long it will last. Yesterday I stacked logs until my fingers ached. (I guess I shouldn't grab a log in each hand by the ends. My fingers are out of shape!)

As for the mood swings, at least you REALIZE it. Happy September!

Jethro said...

OK, so I can move now... Maybe not the best idea to go from computer world to hauling and mixing more concrete in one day than the poor springs on the pickup truck can handle...

Now that the crap work is done, it's just measuring and cutting from here... I wouldn't dream of having my 70 year-old Dad come over and help with the concrete.

The fun part is next. I getting a guy in with a Bobcat to move dirt around, and make holes!

If I win the lottery, I'm going to buy myself a life-sized Tonka set. A front-end loader, a huge excavator, and a bobcat. DAMN THAT'S A LOT OF FUN!

xoxo

katy said...

nothing as sexy as watching a man build up a sweat working hard, no is it just me then?!

Coffeypot said...

Yeah, but wasn't the rubdown that followed worth it, Jethro?

Michael Colvin said...

Paperback Writer, You are right, my tan got started in Vegas and now I have dragged it kicking and screaming through a wet English summer!

Heidi,
Just remember how fab the deck will be when it is finished!

FOUR DINNERS said...

I've been forgetting very important things for years. Long as I can remember to use the toilet I'll live with it....

"Jethro spent the rest of the day taking FORTY THREE bags of concrete mix out of the back of the truck and over to the wheelbarrow, where he mixed it all up and poured it into the tubes".

I will never argue with Jethro. He is frightening. He is henceforth my friend.

Heidi the Hick said...

Four D- So it's possible to get through life without a memory?

What?

As for Jethro, he's a pretty gentle guy. Just don't trust him with a bag of concrete...!

Tod- deck will be fab, deck will be fab, deck will be fab. Repeat. I might be repeating this for a few months, depending on how many people pay us in the next few weeks!

Coffeypot, I leaned on him pretty hard. He didn't seem to mind.

Indoors- nope it's not just you! I think so too!

Jethro screw the lottery, we'll do it the old fashioned way- by being paid for our brilliance and ingenuity. Y'think??? I think you need to do more work like that. And since I'm no good at it, I'll supervise. I'll watch you work, and work up a sweat, and bring you a nice glass of water. And yes, honey, some day we will get you a bobcat. After we get me my tractor. But I will find a bobcat for you to dig things with. Promise. That's how much I love you.

Yankee that in between stage is pretty ugly isn't it? It always amazes me how a project has to get so nasty before it turns into something beautiful and useful!

LeRoy...still waiting for that rain...

LadyBronco said...

I lovelovelove September in Colorado.

The weather is consistently between 65 and 75 degrees for most of the month, and we always have the possibility of snow lurking around the corner.

And the aspens changing colors are truly a magnificent sight to behold.

Fantastic post, Heidi ~ thank you!

captain corky said...

I got a nice taste of Fall when I was in NJ, and then came back to Summer in Kentucky. It's supposed to be a lot cooler today. I'm looking forward to it.

We're both getting older Heidi. Maybe we appreciate things a little more than we used to. After all, somebody's got to be optimistic. Might as well be us, right? ;)

Heidi the Hick said...

The old age/wisdom thing? Not older but smarter?

I hope?