www.flickr.com

Wednesday, August 01, 2007

Gentle Lessons in Life and Death

Sometimes the smallest things are meaningful. It doesn't seem that way, at first. It might not even stick in the memory. But it adds to the layers are who you are and what you become.

Last week, out at the farm, my kids discovered a tiny helpless baby bird in the grass under the tree. This much is all very obvious; of course it was tiny and helpless, because that's what baby birds are, and naturally it was under the tree because that's where it fell from. It doesn't really have anything to do with being at the farm either, because there are plenty of birds in town.

It was only an event because my kids found it. Children can be bloodthirsty little beasts but they also have a well of compassion to balance it out. While the Boy looked on, the Girl wanted to know how we could save it. Find the nest and put it back? Wrap it up and keep it warm? What to feed it?

Me being a typically jaded adult, and a harsh former farm kid on top of it, figured that no matter what we'd do, the bird would die. I sadly told them that the best we could do was bring Spooky the barn cat over to finish the poor little thing off right quick. They sighed. They nodded. They agreed that a quick end would be best, and that nature can be really cruel.

But they didn't want to let go yet. They still had some try left in them. They are not yet worn down by the world.

And inside me stirred the kid who went out to the barn with her little sister, felt sorry for the runt piglets, and brought them into the house one at a time in a cardboard box with some straw in it. We'd tuck the little guys in behind the woodstove, get out the baby bottle and try to nurse them back to health. In the morning we'd creep downstairs and peek into the box and...find a cold dead little piglet. The next time there was a runt, we'd try it all over again.

We can't remember if we ever took a live healthy piglet back out to the barn.

That sense of optimism won me over when I looked at my kids. "Alright, you can try to save him. I just have to warn you though, that it might not work."

The baby bird wiggled in the grass and suddenly opened his giant yellow beak, opening a mouth that was bigger that his whole head. He sure looked like he wanted to live.




The Girl scooped him up and gently set him into the nest Grandma found a few weeks ago. We were off on a quest for bugs then. Bugs, worms, what do baby birds eat? I had no idea what kind of bird this was, or what to feed him, or anything. My 13 year old girl, who is developing that classic teenage girl kind of squeal of disgust for all things gross, went out into the long grass behind the garage with a plastic container and a stick. She caught bugs and immediately squished them so that she could feed them to her new friend. Sure enough she dropped the bug guts down the bird's gigantic funnel of a mouth and never once freaked out about any kind of yuckiness.

She named him Raoul.

That evening she fretted about keeping him safe overnight. "We have to keep him warm or he'll die."

"I don't think birds need to be kept warm."

"But he would have been in a nest with the other baby birds."

"Aren't birds cold blooded?"

She fed him more squishy dead bugs before she went to bed. By this time he was flapping his naked wings quite vigorously and even making squawking noises. She was hopeful and I just didn't have to heart to warn her that she shouldn't get her hopes up. I just couldn't do it. Her hopes will be crushed, in some way or another, and I didn't want to be the one to do it.

In the morning she came up to my room when the sun was shining. "Raoul died overnight."

It was very matter of fact. These things happen. She knows it. She tried.

This isn't the first time and it won't be the last. We almost lost our old cat last fall, and are well aware that he hasn't got many more years. He's perked up and even put on some weight but he's 17. We have to be realistic.

Last year, almost to the day, we all got a very hard lesson in losing an animal friend when my horse Champ died. It was sudden and brutally shocking. He was old too- even though he didn't look it or act it, he was 21 and I told my kids that we hoped to get a few more years out of him...then death slapped us all hard on that hot, grey, humid day.

We don't give up though. Just like my sister and I always gave another runt a chance, my Girl says she'd try to rescue a bird again. Both kids love up that old cat every chance they get, as much as they can, while they can. The old cat's companion is a young dog. I have a new horse. Someday when Nigel is gone, we'll go back to the pound and pick out a new cat who needs our love. It will continue.

My Girl decided to bury the baby bird. I sent her out to the shop for a spade, and she dug the hole herself. By the time I got out there, she'd found an old brick for a marker and picked a handful of wild flowers.





I hugged her shoulders. "You're a sweet kid," I told her. I didn't bust out a tear at the time but I almost could now.

21 comments:

DINK said...

I HAD A KITTEN FUNERAL THE OTHER DAY WITH BOTH MY BABIES CRYING...IT WAS HORRIBLE THOUGH, A TOM CAT GOT AHOLD OF ONE OF THE KITTENS AND RIPPED IT`S TAIL OFF AND LEFT IT OM THE FRONT PORCH AND BROKE THREE OF HER LEGS AND I DON`T CARE TO TALK ABOUT WHAT SHE LOOKED LIKE WHEN I FOUND HER BUT MADDY FOUND HER FIRST AND THAT SUCKS ..SHE WAS GOING OUT TO FEED THEM AND THERE WAS THE TAIL AND OVER THERE WAS HER BODY THEN IN SHE CAME JUST A CRYING! RIP LIL BIRD AND KITTY. MISS YA HEIDI!

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh no, that's terrible! that is a brutally harsh lesson in death. I had to face some of those too when I was a kid. I know how how it feels. Cats can be so horrible to each other. Poor Maddy. big hugs to her and please tell her cats can be really sweet too! Don't hate Tom cats forever!

Biddie said...

Well, 2 years ago, I did my best to save a baby blue jay. The lil jerk thrived, and now he runs my house, and terrorizes everyone....
That's kind of a lesson in itself.

Heidi the Hick said...

You know Biddie I was kind of thinking of that bird when she wanted to save that little fella.

I thought...I know sombody who rescued a bird!

Then I thought, he was a little older though...

and then I thought, geez. He's gorgeous but he's slightly irritating...

Anissa said...

That's such a sweet story. Children are capable of tremendous compassion. We tried to save a baby duck once. He didn't make it either. It is a sad lesson in the laws of nature.

Extra snuggles to your kitty.

Michael Colvin said...

It's always worth trying though.

dilling said...

you may not be crying but I am...

Coffeypot said...

I love the marker. It’s very important in her mind to distinguish between born in the day and died in the night of the same day. Bug, J-Man, Sweet Tea and I were in a restaurant waiting on our food. The kiddies had a paper with games on it; and one of the games was the word DIONASURS. We had to make as many words as we could with the letters. She saw “ASS” but just giggled. She wouldn’t write it down because it was a bad word. I told her it was okay because it was another word for burro or donkey. So she wrote the word and in parenthesis she wrote “donkey.” It was important to let who ever read the paper know it wasn’t a bad word – even though we would throw away the paper when we left. Kids have to make themselves understood the best way they can. Bravo for her trying to make a difference, too.

Nicole said...

Oh, gulp. Very sweet story, Heidi. I'm not sure how much more bad bird news my ticker can take, though. :-/

jo(e) said...

You tell this story beautifully.

(And part of me is saying,"What? The runt piglets usually died? But I thought they always ended up happy, like in Charlotte's web!" That's what happens when you only READ about farmlife ....)

dilling said...

Okay, one quick story... sometimes it works. Our friends saved a crow baby and raised it. It spent a year with them, they taught it to fly, even. Eventually, it flew off into a tree on their property one day, and the next day, flew away entirely. A few months later, a crow came to their house and "bowed" to them and greeted them, as it would greet another crow, with wings outspread. My friends returned the greeting. The crow then flew to a tree with another crow waiting, and then they flew away together. Sometimes, you can save them. And sometimes, they thank you for it.

dilling said...

I would still attempt to save them all...after all, life is precious and we just don't know what the rewards are until we try.

CindyDianne said...

Compassion is a wonderful trait in most children. Somehow though, many grown ups seems to lose it through their life. It is sad really.

I, however, have a different problem. Is it possible to have too much compassion? I saw an older gentleman tonight. He was standing on the side of a road, wearing a tie and holding a sign that said "I need a job! Please!" I cried. It makes me want to cry now.

It's great that your girl wanted to try and save that baby!

Doughnut said...

Very sweet...the lessons of life are tough yet touching too! You all did good...

Doughnut said...

Kind of puts one's priorities in order and live each day to the fullest cuz there are no guarentees on tomorrow.

Heidi the Hick said...

You know guys, I totally had my doubts...

but I really was rootin' for that baby bird.

LadyBronco said...

Kudos to you and your kiddos, Heidi.

We adults can learn so much from the youngins if we would just stop and listen.

Brava, ma'am, on letting them do what they felt was right and not taking them to task for it.
You are a good mommy. :0)

katy said...

that was heart warming, sorry the bird din't live, but well done to the girl for trying

captain corky said...

My father brought home a cat once that had a broken leg and was only a couple hours old. We took it to the vet and they patched him up and sent us home with him. He died a couple of days later. It was heart breaking.

Heidi the Hick said...

Well isn't heart break a part of life, too, eh?

I have a feeling our baby bird saving days aren't over. Even if it looks futile. I think Dilling's crow story is hopeful. And Biddie's blue jay, even though I know that little feathered monster and what a pain he is!! He's very pretty...

I don't always feel like a great mother. I do feel that my kid learned a valuable lesson and I'm glad I stood back and let her teach it to herself. But, I have to admit...I'm also really lazy. It's so easy to just say, go get a spade and bury the dead bird yerself kid, mommy's sittin down right now.

Honestly I wanted her to do it herself. She's the one who took care of the bird and I wanted her to feel like she finished the process.

I also have to comment on what Coffeypot said about how kids make themselves understood. It's true.

annyong said...

i still think its mean how sooommebody didnt let me wrap him in cotton and blanket scraps. >:(