www.flickr.com

Tuesday, July 24, 2007

sometimes he needs a good ribful of spurs

(and after typing that, wonder what kind of awful traffic will stop here...)

I consider myself to be gentle and forgiving with my critters. I am well aware that my horses outweigh me by about a thousand pounds. I know that I cannot physically force them to do as I ask, and that instead I have to out-think them, gain their trust and respect, and always be firm with them so that they do not get away with undesirable behaviour. I don't abuse them. They have decent manners (if not always perfect) and they generally don't act like wild maniacs.

So you can understand that I'd be really, furiously, hotly, intensely ANGRY when I get hurt.

I'm not one to hurt back.

However.

Nobody gets away with it.

I finally broke a sweat on that big horse of mine. I peeled the saddle blanket off of a wet horse. After the incident, our ride became an extremely focussed lesson- trotting on a snug rein, no matter if he wanted to speed up, or stop, or spin around and head back to the corral. Every step was a firm boot to the hide. Every muscle in my body screamed for mercy but I ignored it because there was a lesson to be learned and the pain wasn't going to stop me from teaching it. I had been calling his mother nasty names in a menacingly low voice. I'd been whispering to him in no uncertain terms that we will get along and that he absolutely will figure out that we are doing this my way and that if he wanted to know how far he could push me...He's just found out.

Far enough.

And he will not push me that hard again.

Because now he knows.

He cannot, ever, EVER, think that he can get away with bad behaviour. He's had his last unruly outburst.

He's clever, my Phoenix, and he's hardcore stubborn. He's also gentle on the ground, a fast learner, and a hell of a smooth ride.

I fully believe he's going to be an excellent partner for me. He had some good training before he came to me. He's a good horse. But, he isn't very experienced. He hasn't had as many hours under saddle as his little friend who was trained by me only, and on weekends. All this time I berated myself for her spotty training, and her lack of whatever it is that makes her what I consider to be a well broke horse. As it turns out, when I think about it, she's further ahead. She's had the wet saddle blankets pulled off her back. She's done the work. This big boy hasn't had to work very hard in his life and I figure he's not real pleased with the new job. I mean, who wouldn't want to just graze and swish flies and be gorgeous???

Yeah well...he can do that when he's not working. For crying out loud. I'm only here on weekends, dude. Learn to deal.

I didn't really feel the pain until the next day. Luckily. I needed to ride his ass hard after his little hissy fit. I think he learned. He's been a real remorseful suck up since then. This is why they tell you to always get back on. Let this be your lesson. This is life. You have got to get back in the saddle.

Always

get

back

on.

15 comments:

dilling said...

ouch

Heidi the Hick said...

yyyyeah.

I promise you I am feeling it more than he is!

Astaryth said...

Yep! That's the way it works! One of the 'sayings' that I live by was told to me by one of the first people who put me on a horse:

Be as gentle as you can be and as tough as you have to be!

Words I have lived by while handling horses, dogs, children and other assorted critters!

Heidi the Hick said...

Exactly Astaryth.

I am never rough with them. I wouldn't want to be treated that way either. But I have to be firm.

raine said...

Sometime I'll tell you my story of "Trigger" (really - Trigger) a big, fat old horse who rode me into the trees four times. I got back on that day - four times, but never again. I learned that horses are smarter than me. Ok- that was the story.

Heidi the Hick said...

Well said Rain!

CindyDianne said...

The adrenaline usually carries me through the get back on for the "you can never, EVER do this to me again lesson" and then I go home and cry.

I am sorry.

It sounds like you made the best of an unruly and petulant Phoenix! Good on ya!

Coffeypot said...

Is this a make up story to conceal what is really going on with you and Jethro? Hasn’t he learned anything in all theses years?

Heidi the Hick said...

erBelieve it or not Cindy, I didn't cry this time. But I usually do. I've been too busy slowly working the aches out of my muscles...but yes yay for adrenaline. That's for sure!

Coffey, how did I know you'd be the guy to come up with that?!

Jethro's a good boy. Not quite as fast a learner...I think Phoenix would know after 6 years to put his socks in the hamper instead of hanging them on the floor! hahahahaha

cadbury_vw said...

well said

well written

Biddie said...

Is he still feeling remoresful?
If that works, then I think that you should work on Shawn for me....

LadyBronco said...

"Always get back on."

Amen, sister!

Doughnut said...

coffee took my comment. I wasn't sure you were talking about a horse so much as a spouse. Many a woman would say a good husband is "well-trained"! And of course, you being the trainer you are, the comparisons seem obvious :)

Heidi the Hick said...

Cadbury-thanks

Biddie- aren't you already working on Shawn? (He's coming along nicely!!)

Lady b- yes and this advice works well in the novel writing world too! Every rejection letter is another chance to Get Back On!

LeRoy- I admit that we joke a lot about the whole hose/ husband training thing. Well actually I think he jokes more than I do!

Nicole said...

Ah, yes. Stubborn, headstrong, smart and persistent: Appy to the core.

(And the gelding's an Appy, too, isn' he?)

;-)