www.flickr.com

Thursday, June 28, 2007

Last Day Of School

Heat pours out of the sky, into our skins
Off the pavement and the yellow bus.

Only a few more hours and they're free,
No bells dictating the day's divisions

Just me ordering them to brush their teeth.
There's no such thing as a hygiene holiday.

Knapsacks emptied, notebooks spilled
Taped back together for next year- inventories

Kept for another grade up, another age.
Report cards rule some families. Importance

Misplaced. I'd still love them if they failed.
They didn't. I note the improvement proudly.

New pencils bought, old markers gathered, all
In last year's knapsack, to hide in the closet.

Forgotten. All summer we can ignore them
Until the first weekend in September. Summer starts

Now. Othermothers groan. They roll their
Eyes and moan. Don't know what to do

With their kids. I know. Enjoy them.
Ride horses, ride bikes swim eat do nothing.

Books to read and movies to be made. We are
Free. Wipe my wet forehead and greet the bus.

For the last time this summer.

14 comments:

Biddie said...

I love having my kids home, too. Always have. Of course, it means less computer time, but I can live with that.
I have a 16 year old that actually LIKES her parents. Can you believe my luck?! (the 12 year old, not so much, but hey, I take what I can get!)
I never understood parents that rolled their eyes at summer. I say..
BRING IT ON!

Heidi the Hick said...

AGREEEEED!

Maybe, Biddie, it's easier for us to like having our kids around all summer because we have great kids. Maybe the Othermothers have rotten kids, hahahaha!

I dunno, I just like spending the summer with them!

Anonymous said...

Nice capture of the moment. Somehow it seemed to evoke the experience from both sides--mother and child.

Marni said...

Awesome, Heidi. Well said.

Biddie said...

I feel sorry for the moms that don't want their kids at home...

Coffeypot said...

Very good poem, Heidi. I can't do it. Like:
Roses are red; violets are blue;
I can't rime worth a dam; So I'll leave.

See? Not talent at all.

CindyDianne said...

Ahhh, summertime! I love it. I love it when he gets to sleep late and stay up late and it doesn't mean missed classes or sleep deprivation!

dilling said...

yay for you...and the kids and the horses and the pug...a happy summertime.

Michael Colvin said...

Hey, it's great that you have something to look forward to!

Balloon Pirate said...

'There's no such thing as a hygiene holiday.'

INSTANT CLASSIC.

I wish I could greet the summer with as much enthusiasm. But in my case all summer means, really, is that I have to find someplace for them to go for nine hours a day until September.

Isn't that terrible?

yeharr

katy said...

i used to love spending time with my boy in the holidays, days out, picnics late nights, yes it was fun. so they break up now till september, over here they dont finish till about 20th July!

Dan said...

Awesome! Sounds almost like an Alice Cooper song!

captain corky said...

Great post. Summer reminds me of being young. I'll always be young. ;)

terry said...

what a beautiful poem. you're amazing.