www.flickr.com

Wednesday, May 02, 2007

How to Put a 1,000lb Hooved Mammal into a Box on Wheels, A Hick Chic Guide, part 1

If Monday's announcement sounded a little stunned, it's for good reason. I was exhausted. Maybe it sounded fine to you but it was all just a cover, because I was so tired and aching from head to toe. Happy, yes..blissfully pleased that I had brought this beautiful animal into my life.

Getting him there, physically, however, was a large challenge.

Take a minute to understand what a horse is all about. If given a chance, he'll spend his day grazing- take a step, take a bite, repeat. Maybe he'll stretch his long legs and go for a run. At some point, he'll stop for a snooze, bending one hind leg, letting his eyes close and his lips flap. Then it's back to grazing, step, bite, repeat. At many points throughout his day, he'll stop, jerk his head up, swivel his ears to check for the sounds of horse eating monsters, sniff the air to detect the presence of his enemies, and when all is right, and safe, back to business. Step, graze, repeat.

The fact that horses allow humans onto their backs is really quite unbelievable if you think about it. We bipeds are set up for being predators. We have eyes in the front of our heads and we have sharp teeth in the corners of our mouths. They are built to make a quick getaway from critters like us. And yet, they can adjust themselves to our wishes and adapt to situations that we put them into. Horses have pulled wagons, carried riders, into places that should realistically scare them to death. Think of police horses. Think of horses in NYC who take tourists for rides while the noise of the city rushes past. Think of a pony with a kid on her back going down a dirt road when a dump truck barrels along past them.

The thing is, with humans and horses...we need to give them a chance.

I've done some horse trailering in my life. More than some people, less than others. I spent a couple of summers about 7 years ago taking at least one horse to a saddle club show every other weekend.

My ol King, Champ, would happily jump into whatever trailer I was borrowing or renting. In fact, if a trailer was brought into the yard for a repair, Champ would run up to the fence with his tail up and his eyes wide, all happy like a dog going for a car ride. Maybe he was just weird...or more likely, I was just lucky.

I learned a hard lesson from Champ. One summer we bought a trailer. It was blue. It was old. My luck ran out.
He took one look at it and said, NUH UH.

I'M NOT GOING IN THERE.

NOT GOING IN.

NOT GONNA DO IT.

NAH GAH DAHT

I am ashamed to say this, and I will be ashamed forever, and will not only be apologizing to Champ's memory always but will be eternally grateful to Champ for letting me learn this lesson without killing me....I beat that horse into that trailer.

I felt bad about it then and I still feel bad about it.

I didn't understand his problem. He'd always been so good. He went into stock trailers, two horse trailers, ramp, step up, everything, and now he was refusing. I was determined that he would do as I demanded and get into that $#$@ trailer. It took a few days but eventually he got in. He was dripping with sweat and mad as hell but he was in.

As the summer wore on, and we continued to fight about it, I started to figure out why he didn't like that blue trailer. I didn't like it much either. It didn't have very good suspension and probably was a rough ride for my horse. It wasn't very big but it was heavy. One day I was going down a hill on a dirt road with my dad's 1977 Chevy half ton. The trailer was pushing the truck. We didn't have electric brakes on the trailer and every time I stepped on the brake pedal, the truck fishtailed. I pulled it down into second gear to try to slow the rig down. I came home, got Champ out, and sat down and cried.

And we wonder why I ended up with a panic disorder.

I had an awful feeling that Champ hated that trailer for a reason. Horses are smarter than us, kids. They are. They know things we can't even comprehend. From what I know now, I don't think that trailer was ever really safe. Now think about this: He must have known, and yet that summer, after I abused him into it, he went in and let me truck him around. He was always sweating and shaking, and obviously disgruntled, but he went in because I wanted him to. Luckily for me, he was unhurt because I guarantee, if we'd gotten into any kind of a wreck, not only would his trailering days have been permanently over, he would have never forgiven me and his trust in me would have been completely ruined.

This is what I'm talking about when I declare that horses are amazing animals. They can put aside everything that instinct tells them, in order to please us. Whether we deserve it or not.

Now let me tell you about Saturday. I knew that young Phoenix wasn't a well travelled horse. I figured it could take a few hours to get him loaded in and ready to go.

It ended up taking five hours, five people, and a mild sedative.

But- NO ABUSE!

Looking back, I can see that it should never have taken that long. I can see the mistakes we made, most of which were just on account of us being too hesitant and not really sure what approach to take. He's a very clever boy, my Phoenix. I think he knew we were unsure of ourselves and figured that was a good enough reason to not get into the box on wheels.

The whole time I was praying that nobody would get hurt. He did have a scuff mark from the halter but that was it. No blood, no scrapes, no rope burns. Just a horse that wasn't going nowhere nohow nuh-uh. Couldn't blame him though- he came from a beautiful farm with wonderful owners. I would have wanted to stay too if I were him.

So while I'm not proud of the time spent pussyfootin around with this lovely stubborn horse, I don't regret it. Okay, my body still hurts from the jumping in and out of the trailer and the tapping of his buttocks to move him forward (for a couple of hours) but I feel good about his state of mind. We didn't beat him into that trailer.

Can you imagine? Oh, hey, I'm your new owner. Here, let me beat the snot of you for reasons you don't understand and then we can get on with all the bonding and all that. Would you trust somebody who did that to you on the first day of your new relationship?

This whole thing reinforced in my mind what I've been slowly deciding about the art of horse transportation. We live in a world now where it's sometimes necessary to put him on wheels instead of ride him to the destination. It's unnatural but it doesn't have to be cruel.

Most of all, I know that we cannot
coax
bribe
trick
lure
sweet talk
threaten
abuse
drag
push
love
a horse into a trailer.

We have to TRAIN him into a trailer


...and it's going to take more than one day.

I do kind of feel that by sedating Phoenix and putting him in the trailer one hoof at a time- literally, with one person handling his feet while the others shoved- that we tricked him into it. Out of all our options, that was the only acceptable one, and we got him moved. He was unhurt, if slightly stoned, which didn't hurt him any! It just taught me what I have to do next.

Our little lady is inexperienced as well. My goal this summer will be to train them in preparation for this. I'm starting with groundwork, leading them by the halter until they respond to my slightest body language cues. I stop walking, they stop. I take a step, they take a step. They are both good with leading so this won't be too hard. The next part is to construct a platform out of wood, and get them stepping up onto it, one hoof at a time, like the floor of a horse trailer.

My goal is to be able to load each horse alone, without the help of any ropes or buggy whips or any words beyond "walk" and "whoa" and "step up" or "step down." I know I can do this.

Thanks to Champ I know I can do it.

The Hick Chic Guide to Horse Trailering will continue later, this coming summer, with Part 2: The Implementation of the Plan.

16 comments:

Heidi the Hick said...

I'm sorry- I just realized that a more fitting title today would be:

How NOT to put a 1,000lb mammal into a box on wheels.

Astaryth said...

You want to know the easiest way to train for a trailer?? It only works if you have -lots- of time and a trailer at your disposal.... but, if you park a trailer in the lot with them, open the door and put the feed at the door and let them eat, then the next day you move it a little farther in, then the next day a little farther. You see where this is heading. (Obviously this is done with either a stock trailer or a 2-horse with the center bar removed!)

I have a friend who has an old 2-horse that she leaves parked in the 'baby' pasture and ALL her horses load happily into anything because it's something they've always been around and they expect treats inside ;p

I was lucky. I've had Boo since the day he was born and so when it came time to put him in a trailer I just walked up to it, stepped in, said "Load Up" and in he came.

Astaryth said...

Ooops! forgot to mention that obviously you can't just park a horse trailer in a pasture and leave it! It has to be stabilized in some way so it doesn't move around, fall down or do anything else that could possibly hurt the horses!!!

Michael Colvin said...

Wow that sounds like real hard work but I can tell you want to do the best by your horses. Thanks for sharing. When I have to take my cats to the vet I pick them up with my back to the basket and turn around quick and shove them in. But I guess that's not much use...

CindyDianne said...

I feel your pain! Really. I've been there. Fortunately, mine all load now like a dog. Though, when coming home from the ranch last time, JJ didn't want to load. He didn't want to leave Rooster and Maggie!

I have some ideas - but don't wanna type it all out. Lazy.

Biddie said...

No advice here, either. I just pick Ruby up when it's time to go somewhere....

Heidi the Hick said...

Biddie, and Cindy, and Tod...do you know how many times I wished Phoenix was a dog that day?!? (As for my cat, we have a rule that when we put him in the pet carrier, it's the last thing to get packed in the car and it has to be swift and painfree!)

Astaryth, YES, that does work, I've seen it work. Sadly, I was dumb enough that I tried it AFTER that Bad Blue Trailer Experience.

And as for the safety tips on stabilizing the trailer and making sure there are no obstructions in the doorway, I agree. We are talking about getting a stock trailer and when we do I'll probably park it and stick some hay in it.

They just have to get used to it and learn that it's okay, it's not going to kill them. That's their first reaction. We just have to give them a chance!

Nicole said...

Okay, A) VERY big and brave of you to admit getting too heavy-handed with Champ. Lord knows, I've done that with my dear old gelding more times in the past than I care to even think about - some of my biggest regrets.

B) Have you considered feeding Phoenix in the trailer (at first just putting hay/yummy treats on the floor where he can reach it without getting in, then gradually moving the feed farther inside)? I've done this before, and it worked well. They start to associate the trailer with munchies.

Oh, and was the mild sedative for you or the horse? lol

Nicole said...

Obviously, I should've read astaryth's comment before suggesting the trailer feeding thing. duh. :-P

katy said...

good luck then for the next time!

captain corky said...

I enjoyed that post. I'm learing all sorts of cool stuff about horses now. Thanks Heidi.

Heidi the Hick said...

I tell ya one thing- I think the horse and I both felt like we got dragged behind a truck...

Angela said...

Oh wow! 5 hours is a long time! We learned the Pat Parelli way of loading, where you play the driving game and circle game at the door of the trailer. Pat has a video showing this technique.

With the tail of your rope twirling you show him to the door. Let him look and back out. Let him step in halfway and back out. Never push a horse who is trying. Since horses are motivated by comfort, make it more uncomfortable outside the trailer than inside. He will find the path of least resistance.

I wish you could be in school with me, you would love it so much!

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah Angel i think I'd love your school!

that's sort of what i was doing with Phoenix. I had him take one step forward and if he balked I'd send him in a circle or back about ten steps. I've done some reading and watching of the John Lyons way of doing things.

I'm a firm believer that the horse should be able to stop at any point in the trailering. And back out calmly...and step back in again.

I have my work cut out for me!!!

Crafty Missus said...

missus, i havent commented in ages, but i'm reading, i got an old pc and dial up, sometimes it takes forever to sign into blogger...
i bet everyone has had the unfornate experience where they treated an animal harder than they would under normal stress free circumstances.
when i was 10 i dropped a baby bunny and killed it. i've never told anyone til this very moment... really there aren't much more cruel things than killing bunnies...
now that that's off my chest, i'll get into a trailer anytime for you if you get me stoned first!!!!!

Heidi the Hick said...

Cara, you know, that could be arranged...! hahahaha!