www.flickr.com

Monday, April 30, 2007

Introducing PHOENIX

On Saturday, I brought home my new friend. I really like him. I think I'm in love again!





A horse is not a pet, even if we sometimes treat them that way. A horse belongs in the livestock category but they're so much more than that. A horse, a good horse, is a partner. A really good horse becomes part of your identity.



If you haven't been reading long here, you might not know about Champ, the King. I got him in 1989 when he was four and I was 18. He died suddenly last summer at age 21 and I was heartbroken. You can read about it here if you feel like crying, and here if you want to laugh with your cry. I still miss him. Even though I knew he was getting old, he was fit and shiny and full of attitude. I was not ready to let him go.

But after a couple of months, I knew I had to start looking for a new horse. I found him last fall. I couldn't afford to pay for him right away and spent the winter paying for him.

And now I've got him.

He is not full of attitude....but he is handsome, stubborn, and completely clever. His nickname is "The Mechanic" because he's so curious and into things. We made sure his stall gate is not easy to unlatch with flappy horse lips.

He's not Champ, but I have quickly discovered that I really do gravitate towards a certain horsonality. Phoenix isn't haughty or arrogant, but he knows he's special. He's a pure Appaloosa and I don't think there's much Quarter Horse in his background. He doesn't have papers, so we'll never know for sure. He just looks like an ancient and wild breed of horse to me. He does have spots...when he's clean I'll take more pictures of him!



He knocks me out when he moves. He floats. I'm not kidding. The first time I rode him last fall I almost cried, he's got such a smooth jog. I'll have to figure out how to post a video because he's an unbelievably great mover.



I'm starting off on a new phase of my life, with a new horse. I think I've made a wise choice. Phoenix is younger than what I was looking for (he's only 6) and he's greener than I wanted (he hasn't yet had a bit in his mouth; I'm riding him in a sidepull bridle) but he's level headed, friendly, gentle, and healthy, sound, and well mannered. Everything else I can work on. The rest is all just handling and work.



He had a real satisfying roll in the dirt to make himself at home. I know he was feeling a little out of sorts, having just left his home of five years, but as he gets to know his new home, he settles in. I'm keeping him with the Young Lady and separated from the Ol Lady. She's kind of a grumpy old mare, and being pregnant makes her very defensive. It's better to not take any chances.


So far it seems that he and Little Lady will be a good match. They even look alike.

It was so hard to drive away from the farm knowing that I won't see him for another six days. And knowing that next weekend we have to say goodbye to the Ol Lady, who is going home to have her foal. But I watched Phoenix get to know his new girlfriend, the Little Lady, and I knew that it's going to be alllll right.

It's been 9 months without a horse of my own. That's the longest I've gone horseless since I was five years old. I feel like a crack in my soul has been mended. I feel like I can finally clean Champ's sweat off of his working bridle. I feel like I can breathe again.






The Little mare hasn't had a chance to stretch her legs and run since Champ died. The Ol Lady doesn't like to run.


Phoenix likes to run...

26 comments:

Biddie said...

All is right with your world again.

Heidi the Hick said...

You know it, my friend.

CindyDianne said...

Oh Heidi, I am so glad you were finally able to bring Phoenix home! I am so glad you have filled that hole in your soul! I am so glad that LIttle Lady has a new friend. More importantly, I am so happy YOU have a new partner!

katy said...

he sure looks a beauty, have lots of fun with him which i am sure you will have

Holly Kennedy said...

He's lovely, Heidi.
Absolutely beautiful.
Good for you.

Marni said...

I am so happy for you! He looks fabulous... and you look completely at ease. YAY for you!

Astaryth said...

Very super cool!! He looks like a really nice boy. Can't wait to hear/see more about him!

emily said...

i stop by often and i don't comment...but this is worth a comment!

CONGRATULATIONS! he's wonderful.

dilling said...

at last.....

Coffeypot said...

Two beautiful faces! And the rumps aren’t bad either.

~Pees With A Fist Sitting Down said...

Two beautiful faces...yes! This is awesome news H. Looking forward to reading about your progress/adventures together!

(How does a sidepull bridle work? What is it?)

Bunny said...

How wonderful!!
Can't wait to hear more about the "new guy"!!!
And ditto on the 2 beautiful faces!! The 2nd picture is so perfect - you look SO HAPPY!!

Balloon Pirate said...

ROCK ON!

The first thing I thought when I saw his picture was that he DOES look like the little lady.

Even a non-horsey guy like me can see that.

The second thing I thought was how perfect his name is for you.

I look forward to many more stories about you and this big fella. You do look happy together.

Yeharr

Nicole said...

I see a couple of happy souls behind those four eyes in that last picture of the two of you. He is a BEAUT, and what a lovely Appy blanket! My first horse ever was a white Appy mare named Sugar. You could only see her black spots when she was wet. I'll always have a special spot in my heart for Appys, and I would LOVE to see a video of his movement. How big is he? Ride 'em, cowgirl!

captain corky said...

I'm very happy for you Heidi. He's beautiful.

terry said...

horsonality... excellent word!

what a gorgeous horse. and you look so happy with him.

hooray!

Anissa said...

He's gorgeous, Heidi. Truly amazing. I'm so very happy for you!

Michael Colvin said...

Excellent news Heidi! You look so happy in the pictures and the one with Phoenix running is great. Thanks for sharing.

Elmo said...

Sweetness!

Therese Fowler said...

Aawwww...

I love "horsonality" too--wish I'd learned it in time to steal it and use it in my book!

I am just so pleased for you!!

Travis Erwin said...

Congrats on the new critter. Replacing an animal you loved is hard.

cadbury_vw said...

"I think I'm in love again!"

so your new love is hung like a horse?

(sorry - had to say it)

i AM very happy for you. i love horses as well. just haven't had much chance to ride in the last 17 or so years...

Angela said...

Yay! Have fun with him!

Crafty Missus said...

"hung like a horse"what a funny bunch round here...
missus, das wickit!! just when i thought you told us everything you drop a horse on us, sly boots.
pheonix is hot, i posted about having an affair with him already.
it sounds like life is treating you well these days, that makes me happy.

Anita said...

Ah, new love in the spring... What could be better? I'm so envious!!

Doughnut said...

Nice to see you with your new horse...both looking good in the warm spring weather!