www.flickr.com

Monday, January 08, 2007

Resolving, Ruminating, Reflecting.

I still feel the spin of the new year starting, and haven’t quite righted myself yet.

It’s hard for me to let 2006 go completely because it was a year of change. Also, I don’t really remember much of 2005... I blame the drugs. I still don’t get how an anti-depressant can make you more depressed, but the end result is that it was a blur and I spent the last 12 months recovering.

I looked the two headed demon of depression and anxiety in the eyes and told it to go to hell. It swore back at me. It got ugly sometimes and I’m not totally free. But it doesn’t own me.

I got off the drugs. It was horrible. I never want to go back on meds again, just to avoid the hellish withdrawal.

I joined the writer’s group in my town.

I learned to settle into my house. I trained a puppy. I invested in some heavy metal CDs (hey, therapy, it works for me) and watched a lot of comedy videos. I gave my pshrink a three page letter detailing how his belittling attitude angers me. I dug around in the dirt and loved my garden.

I decided that my children’s homework is the teacher’s responsibility and that mine is to love them and feed them, get all excited about music practice, encourage them to face the consequences of their actions or inactions, and insist on them getting enough sleep.

I auditioned for a role in the community theatre play.

I figured out how to get through the grocery store without having a full blown panic attack, and without Brad Pitt cradling my hand in his as he pushes the cart with the other.

I said a very painful permanent goodbye to my beautiful red horse, a magnificent creature who’d been my friend for 17 years.

Despite that, I went on to complete an Equine Business Management correspondence course and earned my Canadian Equestrian Federation Level 1 Rider badge.

I finally got my kids’ young mare to lope under saddle. No bucking, no silliness.

I sent off the query letter for my middle grade novel to twelve literary agents.

I got rejected by eight. The other four are either on a very long vacation or are extremely slow readers.

I sent a few poems and short stories off to some contests. One poem got accepted, but I withdrew it because I decided to have high standards.

On December 31 2006, at about 2:00 pm, I finished writing my fourth novel.


I did not pick up the guitar again, and I didn’t take singing lessons, and I didn’t get an actual job with a paycheck. I didn’t get my novel published.

But you know...doing up this list is a real eye opener. I done good. I reckon. I did NOT simply decide one day that I'd just pull myself outta this slump and snap out of it. It was a project. It was work. It's not done yet either. I wouldn't want anyone who's struggling to think that I'm some kind of example to live up to. I think everybody should look at their accomplishments instead of their failures.

I don’t do New Year’s Resolutions, because I used to end up with a four page list in my journal of all the crap that I felt I needed to improve. Heck, it’s easy to come up with goals and improvements.

Like, this coming year, I want to do all kinds of ridiculous things like, you know, buy a farm, make a small income teaching people how to ride horses, and do phone interviews about my revolutionary novel about a 9 year old girl with weird parents; I’m going to practice ways to keep basically-harmless-but-still-frightening people from coming into my kitchen in the dead of night; I’m going to get something published somewhere; I’m going to bring a new horse home.

But that’s all stuff that I can work towards gradually and steadily.

You know what I’m going to do for myself, which started off 2007 other than that incident with the weird guy and the two cruisers in the laneway at my parent’s farm?

I’M GOING TO BED.

That’s right. So in about twenty minutes it will be 11:00pm, I’ll be bathed and toothbrushed and tucked in.

As for the rest of this week, just so you know, I might not write again until Friday, since I have a lot of work to catch up on, not to mention an upcoming Take Your Wife To Work Day at Jethro’s Musical Emporium and Tractor Repair Shop. I’ll be checking in though, and I’d love to hear what you think about my year ending and beginning thoughts. You all know what to do- turn the lights off when you leave a room, wipe up your drink if you spill it, don’t let the cat out, and lock the door. Yep. Lock the door.

If I haven’t said it already...I hope you’re having a happy new year.

22 comments:

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Wow, I'm the first to comment. Yeah!

Well, I think you've had a great year. I can see the difference just in the time I've been reading your blog. You have the right attitude toward your depression and anxiety and have handled some major events without meds, all the while telling us about it and even putting a positive spin on it. That's terrific!
I hope this year is even better for you. Can't wait to see your next horse!
Have a good week. (If you are really going to work with Jethro, that would make a great post.)

captain corky said...

Please don't lock the door me and Melvin will be trying to get in so we can fight over that chair. I hope I don't have to kill him for it!

I've found writing to be very theraputic this year too. I've dealt with a lot of demons that I've been avoiding for most of my life. It's been really good for me. I enjoy reading your blog Heidi!

Doughnut said...

I think what you have done for yourself in 2006 has been amazingly healthy for you Heidi. And no drugs in the world can do for you what you did for yourself and I might add, others! I can only see steady progress in what you have done and where you are going. Looks like 2007 could eclipse 2006 for you. Wouldn't it be nice to say in a year from now that this year was better than the last? Even if it isn't, I am sure there will be more than just a few bright moments in 2007 for you. Just keep Melvin in the states and try not to let horses take a bite out of your arm. (I still cringe when I see that horse bite!) Have a good week Heidi.

Heidi the Hick said...

Wow! Look at us, all positive! What a buzz!

Yankee gets the up and at it award today. (What country are you in today???) It means a lot to me that you've seen a difference since you've been reading. It's been a real trip and it's been good having you along for it!

And yeah...I think there will be some good tales from Take Your Wife To Work Day...

Captain Corky! I think my mom might be replacing that chair....

Isn't writing good for us? Thank you for coming over and I promise this week I'll get over and read what you've been up to.

Leroy- Thanks! I promise to keep my limbs away from horse teeth this year. I figure one bite every 20 years ought to do it. Hey, want me to post another picture? It's turning yellow and black now. Yeeeeeshhhh!!!!

Coffeypot said...

You had a great year. I did, too. I set in my chair and surfed the TV channels 43,754,457 times. My right thumb can flip a truck tire like a quarter. But yours was much more interesting and productive. I hope this year is even better.

Heidi the Hick said...

Hey Coffeypot, don't knock it. Think how you'll clean up at Trivial Pursuit with all that information soaked into your head!

Angela said...

Hey Heidi, you're a wonderfully creative author, you're both funny and informative. I feel sure that you'll have something published soon.

Balloon Pirate said...

I like the going to bed thing. I need to do that too.

Like at a decent time, not when my eyes are so droopy I can barely see.

Four novels? I admire you.

yeharr

Doughnut said...

Sure Heidi...let's see how the arm is healing. It probably looks worse than it feels. We know one thing...it is not hickie!

CindyDianne said...

Heidi - It sounds like you got a LOT done last year. Maybe if I made a list I'd feel better about my accomplishments. I think you got WAY more accomplished than me! I just know that this is your year to be published!

Heidi the Hick said...

Angel, thank you thank you thank you!

Pirate, thank you for the admiration but three of them are total crap!!! That's what rewrites are for...

If I see you on the computer after 11 pm I'll give you heck and can you please do the same for me?

Leroy, I'll post another disgusting bruise photo on Friday. Just for fun.

Cindy, honey, you painted your living room before Christmas. Wow! I think you should do up a list of what you accomplished this year because you might be surprized!!

katy said...

yep you sure done good last year well done you, and well done for coming off the meds, i know that can be very difficult:-)

Balloon Pirate said...

Sounds like a plan!

yeharr

Biddie said...

I tried all afternoon yesterday to get over here and leave comments. Bloggger was being an ass hat. Now, I can't remember what I wanted to say.
Go, Heidi?
You've come a long way, baby.
Whoo - hoo!!!
Must've been something like that. Anyway, I'm proud of you! :)

dilling said...

Welcome home
Welcome to the New Year
It's only going to get better from here...up, up and away...
have fun at work with Jethro

Heidi the Hick said...

Hi everybody- I just got home from the studio, where I spent a totally forgettable two hours cleaning, believe it or not, and still have enough material for a big juicy blog posting.

And I have news. Guess what I found in my mailbox when I got home?

ANOTHER REJECTION LETTER!

This one's from a publisher in Toronto. The box checked is "The material does not fit the Annick Press publsihing programme."

...back to the drawring board....

terry said...

wow, you did a LOT in 2006, lady. a lot.

and withdrawing from a drug ain't easy. it's pretty hellish, actually.

happy new year!

Smartypants said...

Well, of course you done good!

Heidi, why are you seeing a doctor who belittles you? = (

ORION said...

Thanks for the visit! Of course you can link me. I'd be honored!

Doughnut said...

Hiedi...take courage. Most, if not all, authors, have boxes of rejection letters. It would be great if they provided additional feedback on what you could do to make the material publishable for them. I wouldn't find it very helpful to just get a two sentence rejection letter. Have you ever called a publisher(s) to find out what you might be able to do to make it more publishable? You have quite a readership here :)

Heidi the Hick said...

Terry- thanks! yeah, withdrawal is hellish. I'm really sensitive to stuff like that. I'm a cheap drunk too! but I can't imagine how hard it must be to go off a hard drug as opposed to a prescription drug!

Smartypants...I'm not seeing him anymore. Actually he won't see me. He won't answer my calls. Y'know...I feel another blog posting coming on...

Orion- great! Another writer!

Leroy- I've been told that getting a hand written note at the bottom of the rejection is a good sign. I've got one of those...and I've gotten up the guts to call one agent and find out what she would accept. Most publishers and agencies, if they have a web site, tell you what their guidelines are and what they're looking for.

Holly Kennedy said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. Of course you can link to me. I'd be honored, like ORION is.

P.S. Don't give up writing. It'll happen. And those rejections? I have dozens; be proud of every one. They prove you're willing to take the risks necessary to succeed in this business.

I'm published in multiple countries and I still face rejections every day -- now, though, it's not agents or publishers. It's reviewer or readers. You can never make everyone happy....