www.flickr.com

Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Truth about Nickelback

I should like them.

They are a bunch of hick small town boys.

I'm a hick farm kid.

They've been known to wear cowboy hats.

I have been known to wear a cowboy hat.

They like beer.

I like beer.

So I should like them but I don't. I risk angering a few of my precious readers with this one...but I just can't hold it back anymore!

If I'm being totally honest I'll admit that I thought "How You Remind Me" was a solid arrangement. By that, I mean the way the song is put together. Start off with acoustic guitar and vocal. Full band for verse. Then a bridge. Typical verse bridge chorus, really, but then alter the vocal melody in the final chorus to make it seem that much more meaningful and you know, angst ridden. Big anthemic chorus. Finally an acoustic guitar coda. Not especially innovative, but solid. Plus that song is quite singable for those of us with questionable talent.


It occurred to me one fall day, as I was driving and singing away at the top of my tiny lungs, that lyrically, it didn't make any friggin sense at all. What the hell does it mean if you never made it as a blind man? Tried walking around with squinted shut eyes and a white cane but did not successfully negotiate a curb and tripped, sprawling across the path of an oncoming bus?

Look, I am not totally against the Deep And Meaningless school of songwriting, okay? My favourite band of all time is Led Zeppelin. Clearly, I am in good with Deep And Meaningless lyrics. I have attempted some myself. But this? Are we having fun yet? If you have to ask....!

By the time we went to England in the spring of 2002 to visit Jethro's cousins, the creeping ubiquitous fog of Silver Side Up had reached Europe. And I was sick of it.

It didn't take much longer to notice that this band has basically two song templates which they make a few adjustments to before shoving them back into the Scientific Failproof Hitmaking Machine. (It's a similar model to the one Mutt Lange uses to manufacture huge global hits out of Shania Leppard Adams. Do not get me started on Mutt.)

It bugs me that the vocals are always processed. Always. Doubled, processed, stacked. Not a lead and backup vocal. It's a vocal, a growl track, a breath track, a whisper track, a grunt track, an octave below track. Like thirty times. And then autotuned to death. It's harsh and it hurts the delicate ears of recording engineers. And it's the same all the way through. I'd have to say this really hit the wall for me when we saw them perform live, just a few hundred feet away from us, at the Juno Awards telecast this past April. Imagine my surprise when the second guitarist went up to his mic...and sang in Chad Kroeger's voice!!!! I looked at Jethro and declared, in my best attempt at sarcasm, "Holy s**t they're good. That guy can sing in the other guy's voice! How much practise did that take?"

I know. Lots of bands run tracks in live performances. My favourite band when I was 14 was Duran Duran. I've seen lots of performances with two guitar tracks but mysteriously, only one guitar player. But geez. We can only suspend our disbelief so far.

I'll give Nickelback credit though, because man, they had some awesome pyro. I'm still enough of a rock geek that I loves me some good pyro.

This is Truth Month here at Hickchic, right? I have found myself accidentally liking them. Maybe it's the hick thing. But then two things slap me in the face.

One. I get tired of lazy lyrics quickly. Hey, I enjoyed high school too, but now that we're in our thirties, must we still have songs about fooling around in the car?
Two. They take themselves way too friggin seriously.

Come on, Chad! Lighten up! somewhere under that furrowed brow, I think you might have nice eyes, but I can't tell because of that menacing scowl. If you're going to be that menacing, you better not be in Nickelback. You better be shredding guitar in friggin Lamb of God or Cannibal Corpse or something. Any guy who spends that much time on his hair cannot be that menacing! You're a decent solid musician, I'm sure of it. Just...quit trying so hard, okay?

I don't make it a habit to make fun of people, at least not without their permission, but I have to do this. I have to.

Because I can read Chad's mind in this picture: "I stand way out in front of the other guys because I'm the most important part of this band. I'm the only one whose name you know. And because you want to check out my belt buckle. Look at my belt buckle. Look at it. Ha. I saw you checkin me out."

I can read all their minds in this picture. From left to right:
"Chad makes me stand behind him because I'm the little brother and I only play bass. I never said anything but I think mom liked me better."

" Look...at my belt buckle. It's huge, look at it. Ha. I saw you checkin me out."

"I'm the new guy. But it's okay because nobody remembers the old guy. If I stay here behind Chad nobody will catch on."

"Hmm. Y'know. If Chad were ever to suddenly be rendered, you know, comatose...that would make me the guy. Not that I'd wish for that. Hey, um...what do you think of this belt buckle?"


I feel so mean spirited and non-Christian for making fun of these guys. I'm sorry.

Okay I'm not really totally sorry.

Now I'm going to tell you the real reason why I've got it in for this band. Last year I was reading Canadian Musician Magazine. What? I'm allowed to read it! I'm one of those things! The cover story on Nickelback- which featured of cover photo of only Chad Kroeger- described Mr. Kroeger's studio. I gradually turned green with envy. He bought a little chunk of land in British Columbia. A nice little acreage. With a house. And a barn. A big old barn. And then he hired an army of contractors. He paid them to work around the clock, in shifts. And in 30 days--what the hell can I pay somebody to do for me for 30 days?-- he had...I get dizzy just thinking about it...a recording studio in his barn.

Did you get that? Not only does he have a barn. He has a studio. In the barn.

Jethro assures me that he does not want a studio in a barn. He'd rather drive home from the studio and get away from it at the end of the day. Okay fine. I'm over it. But for years I thought, geez, if I had a studio in my barn, I could keep my man on my property! He could walk across the yard and sleep in his own bed! A studio in the barn would be the perfect combination of what Jethro and I want, and we'd never have to leave the property!

But you see, Nickelback has sold more records than me and Jethro put together. And as a result, Chad can afford to pay people to build him a studio in 30 days, in a barn, and I spent five months in living in construction hell and I still don't even have my own barn.

So really, the truth is that I'm jealous. Because Chad Kroeger has a studio in his barn.

And I don't.

26 comments:

dilling said...

I can't stand them...living here or in the states...nothing makes me change a radio station quicker(and they are on every friggin" station)... every song is the same song, and they(HE?)doesn't really believe a word of it...can't sell it, not to me, anyway, and I will buy just about anything, if you look at my cd collection.

Biddie said...

TMOC threw the mother of all hissy fits because KK was watching a Nickleback video.
So she kept it on to torment him a little.

Heidi the Hick said...

Dilling! It really is truth month, isn't it?!!!!!

Biddie! That. Is so funny. Just one more reason why I love KK!

Mackey said...

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalala...........................I can't hear youuuuuuuu!!!!!!!!!!

Chad is my future ex husband!
Nickelback is my favorite band bar none.

Heidi the Hick said...

mackey! Future ex husband! That is so funny! It's okay, they can be your favourite band and I still like you! I did say that I ofte find myself singing along...their hit machine is well oiled!

Nifty- Good to see you again! And I know what you mean about the love/hate. I'm either singing along or groaning and changng the station.

Matt Mullenix said...

Alright: This may be my all-time favorite Hick Chic post (and that's saying something). It's thoughtful, funny, well constructed, carries its theme and you can dance to it. I give it 10.

It should be truth month all year long. Make it happen.

Heidi the Hick said...

Matt Mullenix rocks.

I am a HUGE Matt Mullenix fan.

(Really, you dance? Always surprising me, Matt!)

CindyDianne said...

In the spirit of Truth Month, I like them. Well, ok. I thought I liked them and bought a CD. I like 2 songs on the CD and detest the others. So, does that mean I like them?

Honestly, I know people who are music connoisseur. I am not. If I hear a song and I like the lyrics or the music or the total effect then I like the song. It truthfully doesn't matter to me who the artist is. Wait, there is an exception to that rule - Faith Hill. Can't stand her!!

Timmy said...

NO LIKE!

Nölff said...

You are a good girl.

Dead man walking said...

Yes! I finally ahve someone else to confirm what I have known all along! Nickleback is a one-trick pony! You are my friend.

Coffeypot said...

Of your two passions?? I would prefer to watch the horses than Johnny Depp any day. They are prettier and have more personality. As for a name for you riding academy, how about “Ride From The Depp Of My Heart”?

Coffeypot said...

Now that I think about it, that title sounds like a country and western song.

Anonymous said...

I can live without them, too.

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Okay, it's one thing to use a vocals track if you are a SOLO artist. But a band? They can't make their music sound good without help when they play live? I think that says it all.

Thanks for explaining all the technical stuff for me. I don't know much about the music business.

Heidi the Hick said...

Cindy- My very elegant sister asked me for their last CD for Christmas...then she heard to song about the pants around the knees...

Tim- I'm good to you other days. Gotta suffer just a little.

NOLFF CALLED ME A GOOD GIRL. I think that's good. I'm not sure. I'm going to take it as good.

Shane, I love your plaid shirt/bandanna combo. Love it!

Coffey- I should blog good country song titles!

Aw c'mon Bug, they add to your life. Give us stuff to talk about!

Yankee- you'd be shocked if you knew how many bands are running tracks behind them...and that's why I'm not going to tell you any more. I don't want to ruin it for you!

Heidi the Hick said...

okay everybody...

MACKEYDOODLE GETS THE COMMENT OF THE DAY AWARD!

"Chad is my future ex husband!"

I love that.

Smartypants said...

Bah. Don't like'em.

Nölff said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nölff said...

Ok your a bad girl then.

You know a lot about recording. I'm in a band that has it's own recording studio that's how I know.

That Chad dude ripps off Jesus, that band called Puddle of Mudd (They suck as well).. and many more but I can't think good now because I drank too much last night and I didn't get enough sleep.

He came to Greenville once with Clutch at a concert I worked at. Nickleback came on late because was busy humping some Nicklewhore and everyone was getting pissed. That's back before they were famous. Now they are famous and they come here like every 8 months. People love them. I wish this whole post grunge thing would die out.

Oh BTW. You might get hateful comments from angry teenagers.

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah, I have to be prepared for that.

I don't intend to slag this band totally. I can see why they're popular, actually.

Maybe it's just overexposure. Or, you know, the whole thing about the recording studio in a barn. OOOhhhh the seething jealousy!

You do know that ALL songwriters rip off what came before right? Right? Ever heard of Muddy Waters???

If I ever learn how to play an instrument in a way that is listenable I am going to rip off The White Stripes and Jet. Then I've got it all covered!

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

I have had exactly one date with my husband all year... an I made him take me to the Nickelback concert. It was awesome, an would have been better had I not passed out at the sight of The Chad standing in front of me with that damn belt buckle! I would pay to see them again, and I will love them forever! :) heeheee!

Heidi the Hick said...

Ha! You looked at the belt buckle! You checked out the belt buckle!!!

The lesson here is: Never underestimate the power of the belt buckle. You have to look.

Heidi the Hick said...

Ha! You looked at the belt buckle! You checked out the belt buckle!!!

The lesson here is: Never underestimate the power of the belt buckle. You have to look.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Pants around the knees song is my favourite because it is so cheesy and funny. But you know that I have a love/hate relationship with them. Nickelcrap they are.

Heidi the Hick said...

It's that love/hate thing again! Pants around the knees could be so offensive, but I find myself alternating between sounds of disgust and giggles.