www.flickr.com

Monday, September 18, 2006

A Sense of Belonging

On Sunday morning as we walked out after the sermon, a man who's known me since I was born stopped me for a chat. We'll call him Ken, since that's his real name.

"I saw your picture on display at the fair," he told me.

"My picture?" I was puzzled. I hadn't entered anything in the fair for about eight years. Living so far away from the home town makes these hometown kinds of things difficult.

"There was a school portrait on display from about 1924. Your grandma was in that class and I looked at the picture, and I said, look at that, there's Heidi."

Ken tells me regularly, at least as regularly as I drag us to church, that my daughter looks exactly like I did. He can't stop mentioning it because he claims every time he sees her, he thinks it's me, then gets a shock when he realizes that I am not a little kid anymore!

He knows what he's talking about; he carbon copied himself three times. His oldest son is a year younger than me, with his own kids, and guess what? I can see Ken in his grandson.

Not only has he known me for my whole life, he knew my grandparents. In fact, during the church service, another man celebrated his 80th birthday. My Dad presented him with a gift and noted that this old man and his wife were one of the first marriages that my Grandpa performed, almost 60 years ago.

Some people feel oppressed by the small town connections. They feel it as a contriction, or a weight. I feel it like a very heavy comforter, knotted and sewn by little old ladies in flower print dresses and white coverings on their heads. I like it.

7 comments:

Biddie said...

I miss my little home town church. There's nothing better than a sense of belonging, feeling like you are a part of something.
I love reconnecting with people that have known me since I was 10,people that have watched me grow and raise my own family.
A beautiful post, Heidi, as always.

Heidi the Hick said...

I think it's nice, Biddie, because you and I know which churches we each went to!

Timmy said...

My best friend and I went back home to the little suburb town we grew up in last week for the annual fall festival. It was nice remembering, for a minute. :-)

Mackey said...

I love the comparison you used there.
Don't ya just love those things that make us all feel warm & fuzzy?:)

Heidi the Hick said...

Tim, sometimes a minute to remember is all you need!

Mackey, speaking of warm and fuzzy, another thing that happened in church that morning was an 18th birthday. All the 18 year olds get a new quilt to take with them when they go their own way. When the young lady stood there wrapped in her blanket and smiling I damn near wept and she isn't even my kid!!!

Heidi the Hick said...

yankee, it's totally true. There's an accountability in a small population! Sooner or later you have to answer to somebody who knows you!

I think parents appreciate that more than kids do though!

Oddly enough at the fair last weekend I only recognized people from my church. Or, maybe everybody I knew from 20 years ago looks different now. Hmm...

CindyDianne said...

I crave, crave, crave that hometown experience again. I do have it to a certain extent. I can't go to the Friday night football game without someone saying "Here comes trouble" and when I drag myself to my own church, they know me - they really know me. But, I can't wait to live in a smaller place and carve out my own little niche!