www.flickr.com

Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Grinding Crunch of Metal (and for once I'm not talking about rock stars)

HEY! PICTURES! IT JUST AIN'T THE SAME WITHOUT PICTURES!!!

Growing up with my Dad painting cars in the backyard so that he could afford to farm for a living, I have a great respect for the automobile. I don't let people lean on my truck. I don't care if it's 16 years old; I'll flutter and splutter, eyeballs popping, face reddening, as I struggle to find a polite way to say, "Get your ****ing *** off my truck before you ****ing scratch the **** out of the paint!! Don't even breathe on it!!!" You don't even want to know what happens if somebody looks the wrong way at the Jetta.

And yet, every fall, I am drawn irresistibly to this event, this massive destruction-fest, this huge waste of time, talent, natural resources, and welding rods. I cannot tear myself away.


DEMOLITION DERBY!!!!

Oh the pain! All of those precious, endangered full frame rear wheel drive cars with their V8 motors and their massive chrome bumpers. They are a dying breed and should be protected, but here we are cheering as they get crunched into scrap metal and all for our ravenous appetite for entertainment. At least this year there were a couple of front wheel drive 6-cylinder cars in there. Smash them up. Go for it.

Try clicking on the photos to enlarge them - if it works, you'll see the details, right down to the piles of parts left in the mud.

Here's the Best Dressed Car contest.Check out the Spiderman car! The guy was even shooting silly string out of it! Such effort...

Here's the very polite starting line up.

And they're off. And they're smashed to crap!Woo hoo!

And of course, every year, every year I sit on the edge of my seat seething with envy because dammit, I want in! I wanna be down there, in one of those cars, smashing the crap out of somebody else's car!

I know. Panic disorder. But wait, it all makes sense. Every day, I drive around, not hitting anything. Yes there are many drivers who don't get this basic rule of driving; you must not drive into things. At the end of the day, you should't have dents and scratches. I don't drive into things. I damn well could; you've seen what I drive. Wouldn't hurt me much, but no, I don't use my truck as a weapon. I avoid all the Othermothers who don't even look where they're going and how can you not see a GMC truck???? and I get through the day. Some of these women will mow you down in order to get their kids to school so that they can get to the gym for their workouts. They take their corners short and merely Pause at the Stop signs. But I can't drive into them.

Do you have any idea the amount of stress and anxiety this creates???

It would feel SO SO SO SO GOOD to just back up and SMASH SOMEBODY!!!!

While the packed capacity crowd ROARS WITH DELIGHT!!!!

Sure, I'd have a killer chest pain. But afterwards...sweet relief.

Of course, everything else would ache even more than it does now. My back hurts just from standing at the sink doing dishes. I'm not cut out for a career in demolition driving.

Think about it though. I'd paint my car hot pink. I'd paint red flames on it. My theme would be, "Mommy's had enough." I'd get the local grocery stores to sponsor my car. And maybe the workout gym. Oh, and the Massage Therapy and Chiropractor's clinics.

It would be awesome.

But not likely to happen.

Why do we love this? Why, every year, do we fill the grandstand? Why does my very sweet, proper, elegant sister scream and cheer for this? Why did my mom, my sweet, proper, elegant mother, heave herself up the steps of the grandstand with her blown out knee, leaning on a cane because there was no way she was missing the demolition derby?

I think you know why. Same reason I'd like to smash something, just once, and be approved for it.

BECAUSE...it is so hard to behave all of the time.

There are rules here, you know. All glass must be removed. All upholstery except for the front seat must be out. The battery has to be wrapped up. The doors have to be permanently sealed shut. The driver's side must be padded and reinforced, and the driver wearing a helmet, and there is absolutely NO hitting on the driver's side.

Clearly, safer than driving through a friggin subdivision on a rainy day when school lets out ...

14 comments:

Biddie said...

I miss the fall fair. There's nothing like it.
Did I ever tell you that Hubby used do the derbys? Yup. Ask him about it sometime.
The photos were great, can't wait to see more..

Timmy said...

I love the derby! I wont touch your truck, I promise.

dilling said...

I think the picture loader is on vacation or something...or went part-time.... Um, can't say I love the derby but I do love bumper cars!

Distant Timbers Echo said...

DEMO DERBY ROCKS!!!!!

Next time, tell me! I wanna go! Haha!

Beer and Demo Derbies just go hand in hand... nothing like alcohol and smashing up cars that just somehow go together, don't they?

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I have apparently been to the fall fair but I don't remember but I think there is something very exciting about smashing stuff. okay I'm done. That was big run on sentence.

katy said...

got a small prob cant see the photos boo hoo, i'd love a go at it to. i try not to be out an about in the car when its time for kids to finish school and all the mums are driving, we call it maniac mum time in our house!

Heidi the Hick said...

indoors- I'm a mother, and I think the other mothers are crazy!

I'll work on the photos and hopefully they'll be visible tomorrow. They're pretty funny.

Steve Bodio said...

Very big in rural New England when I was a kid... nostalgia for crunching cars and illicit beer.

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

Our State Fair just left town, but we had a demo derby as well! Theres just something about seeing a bunch of cars crashing that makes the world all ok....

Balloon Pirate said...

Mommy's had enough!

Freakin' awesome.

I'm still laughing!

Hell, go national. Get Zoloft to sponsor you.

Yeharr

Smartypants said...

I remember the demo derby from my younger days in the Midwest. As a kid, I couldn't believe they actually encouraged people to smash up other people's cars.

CindyDianne said...

I've never been to a demolition derby...but it sure looks like it might be as much fun as a tractor pull!

Heidi the Hick said...

ahhhh...tractor pull. Now THAT is fun, Cindy!

Smarty- isn't it bizarre! And the crowd goes wild!

Pirate- best idea yet! I'd have to win the Best Dressed Car at least, and maybe they'd invent a new award for me!

JJ- I had a very cute movie-quality mental image there!

Beck- It's true, it's oddly reassuring, isn't it?

Steve, I'm so happy that you used "illicit beer" in your comment. Also oddly reassuring!

Yankee- From what I've heard, all of Atlanta is full on demo derby every day! It wasn't so bad when we went through, at 1am on Christmas holidays!

Heidi the Hick said...

Well kids, Blogger is still hiding out in Mom's basement, recovering from a particularly bad party weekend, and Blogger isn't functioning well.

I'd like to tell Blogger to smarten up and stop the irresponsible partying. Blogger should know that we are getting impatient.

Blogger is so frustrating sometimes...