www.flickr.com

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Two Mares


The Arrogance Level in the pasture field has dropped to Non-existent. There is no more Great Studly Presence out there, just two little mares, two ladies who only want to eat grass and swish flies away and mind their own business. They don’t lift their heads and perk up their ears when they hear a noise. They just look up, check it, and get back at it. They don’t flip up their tails and scamper away when a human approaches. They just...look up, continue chewing, and reluctantly lower their heads into the halter and placidly walk beside the human.

Along with the absence of Arrogance, we’re also experiencing a severe drop in Hassle Factor.

My Old Man loves it. You might already know that he and Champ didn’t really agree on anything. It was always a contest of “I’m the boss, no I’m the boss, no I’m the boss” whereas my way of handling my equine rock star was more along the lines of, “You are the most magnificent horse in the world, yes look at you, I am looking at you, and we’re gonna do this my way because my way is the only way and aren’t you special and wonderful, you amazing horse, and I’m the one who decides how things are going to be done around here because I’m actually running things and you are a really gorgeous noble creature, yes you are.” So Champ and I got along pretty okay, while Dad and him, not so much. He hasn’t come right out and said it but Dad’s relieved. My mom has suggested gently that maybe I should consider the possibility of buying a nice gentle mare to take Champ’s place, and not get another tricky sneaky crafty gelding.

Well...I haven’t gotten my head around this yet. Let’s just leave it at this: As much as I’m enjoying the peaceful energy of the two mares, I miss having A Star. Not all male horses are stars. Some female horses are stars. But I like a small amount of arrogance in a horse. I like a little excitement in my life.

In the meantime, I continue to marvel at how smoothly things are going. The Broodmare is happily munching grass, ignoring the Little Lady. The Little Lady is realizing every few minutes that the Broodmare has wandered too far away and trots off the join her. The Broodmare decides that the Little Lady is too close and nips at her. And they’re both happy. All is right in the world.

It’s not the same as a month ago. When it was the King and his Little Lady, they grazed side by side. He loved telling her where to go; she loved being told. I’ve been around horses all my life and watched how they relate to each other. I never saw a pair of horses bond like those two.

I can’t say that she misses him. She still pauses at the spot in the corral where he died but I can’t tell you why. Maybe she smells something, maybe it’s a memorial thing, I don’t know and she ain’t telling me in English. It doesn’t really matter though, because she is her usual cute self and is just content to have someone else to follow around.

And follow she does. The other day we noticed that the mares both took a pee at the same time- guess which one first.

And yesterday I discovered that I can longe two horses at once. Just put the rope on the old mare. Convenient!


I’m pleased that the Little Lady isn’t alone. That one day of being alone, hopefully, will be her only. And it really has helped to ease my aching heart, to go out in the long grass and be greeted by two soft muzzles, like we’re all three saying to each other, quietly, gently, “Hey Girl.”

11 comments:

Biddie said...

They are both so beautiful and gentle. I love the Broodmare..she is so gentle and content..Maybe your friend will decide to leave her with you.

Heidi the Hick said...

Well...I've got my prayers out.

dilling said...

mine, too

Reid Farmer said...

Look at that corn!!

What's the old saying - "Corn as high as an elephant's eye"

Reid Farmer said...

Always have to remember they really are herd animals. That's their weakness and their strength. In this case the strength to support each other after loss.

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I think you need another Star out at the farm but I also think that the Broodmare should stay too. Maybe your friend will forget that the Broodmare is there?

Heidi the Hick said...

First of all I'm praying for my friend's health. She's not in great shape and has a lot of things to deal with. I want her to be healthy again. Then I'm praying that she might consider selling one of her horses. That's a selfish prayer, I know. But there it is.

Yes Reid, it's that big corn time of year. And herd mentality is very interesting. I've learned so much, watching these little herds in the back pasture.

Balloon Pirate said...

Three comments in one box:

1) I'm learning so much about horses from you. And the way you describe them is incredible. I can see Champ's personality much better when I look at the pictures after reading your descriptions, than I would have ever seen without your words. Same thing for the Little Lady. Thanks.

So...what's a broodmare? I think I've sorta got it figured out from your usage, and I know I could just google or wiki the phrase and get an answer, but I'd rather hear it from you.

2 I'm looking forward to school, myself. The difference, I guess, is that I can't stay home with them all summer. So I'm constantly trying to figure out events and activities to keep them from just sitting in their mom's smoky apartment, watching bad TV. I think I did a pretty good job of it this summer, if I do say so myself. But I'll be glad when school starts.

3. Not only is Colin one of MY favorites, he's also right up there with my kids as well. Can they be honourary Canadians, too? They're young--I can teach them to throw the letter 'u' into wourds that nourmally doun't have them.

Yeharr

Heidi the Hick said...

Pirate- always glad to help, my friend, always glad!

1) A broodmare is a lady horse whose only job in life is to give birth to foals. Usually broodmares aren't taken out of that job and put back into riding work or harness work. I guess the owners figure, once she's had a couple of younguns she ain't good for much else. I don't really agree but I'm not in the breeding business. Most breeders keep their mares foaling every year- gestation is 11 months.

This particular mare has a whole story...still not sure how much of it I'll tell since she isn't mine, but I'll tell a bit more later.

2) It does sound like you've given them a good summer and had some fun with them. I know that I'm fortunate that I can spend the summer with mine. I admit that it'll be good to have some time to myself, especially since I have things I need to do.

But I'll complain anyways. That's just me.

3) ha ha! Just wait a few years to get them onto the Canadian beer.

CindyDianne said...

Looks like they go together like peas and carrots!

I hear you about missing the arrogance. I would too.

But, it really does look like things are idyllic on the Farm right now!

Heidi the Hick said...

You know what Cindy, idyllic is the word! It is nice. We all needed some peace.

Although I am still looking for Mr Thinks He's Right.