www.flickr.com

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

AUGUST

I have a hard time with this time of year. I can see the end of summer and it saddens me. I don’t want it to end. I don’t want the nice weather to turn into coats and mittens weather, not yet. I don’t want the night to creep up so soon. I don’t want my kids to go back to school.

I never wanted to go back to school.

The knapsacks are ready. They have clothes to wear- not new ones, because they have clothes that still fit and I hate giving in to the big machine that tells me that I must go buy all new crap in order to keep my kids from being pecked to death by the rest of the flock for being too different. They’ll be wearing their tried and true favourites. All I have to do is get my butt outta bed and help them with their lunches next Tuesday morning and that’s it. We can be out at the beach on Monday and still get the First Day of School going efficiently.

However, I’m not ready. I actually like my kids and I enjoy spending the summer with them. I'll miss them.

They’re going to two different schools this year. I don’t know how I’m going to get them there at the same time. I’m afraid to talk about it. I’m having panics about it.

But it’s gonna happen, whether I like it or not!

I know we’ll survive and it won’t be the big deal I set it up to be. I know that. But I don’t like it.

I don’t have to like it. I went to school when I had to. I didn’t have to like it.

10 comments:

Mackey said...

OMG!!! Finally, someone who feels the same as I do!!!!
I hate school. I hate the fact it takes my children for 7 hours a day/5 days a week!!!
That is just messed!!!
I do not want to send my kids back to school on Tuesday.
Wahhh!!!!!
We cab cry on each others shoulders:)

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I have my college orientation today and I don't even want to go to that...
I'm not ready to go back, I haven't done enough summer stuff, and I just don't want to go at all...shoulda taken that year off.

Timmy said...

I miss school!

CindyDianne said...

Heidi - now I see why you bought school supplies at the end of school! Such a smart woman!

AFBML has been back in school since the 14th. *Sigh*

Biddie said...

I'm not ready, either. I barely see KK as it is, she's always at the Boys house, and J is going into grade 7 ( as is another wicked cool kid that I know and love ). KC going to college just freaks me out. I'm 37 for crying out loud! Too young for this.
SIGH
I can't wait for Christmas holidays....

Biddie said...

Oh, wait!!! I hate winter !! Curses!! I want the Christmas break, but I hate winter...Now what?

Heidi the Hick said...

Mackey, sniffle, sniffle, sob sob!

KC- I know you're not ready. I do think though that if you'd taken a year off you'd still not be ready. I hope you don't regret this. I don't think you will. It's way better than high school. HOnest!

Tim- I bet you don't miss school so much as you miss the social aspect of school!

Cindy- smart? Really? I thought just desperate to not think about it all summer! But hey, I'll take the compliment! Thanks!

Biddie- haha! Gramps thinks we should all go to Florider for the winter and that will solve everything!
You are too youngfor this. So am I. They grow up so darn fast.

dilling said...

I don't have kids to send off, but I do not like to see the end of summer. I left home at 17 and moved to sunnier and sunnier locales, most of the time. Moving back to this coast with it months of grey skies and rain took me a while to readjust, and still, long about February I start longing for life on the Gulf of Mexico again.

Notsocranky Yankee said...

My kids ride the bus so we don't have to drive them to their schools. They think it's a good time and it's much easier for Cranky and me. Bob watches them walk down the driveway from the window. He also thinks it's a good time.

Hang in there! It will be okay. I promise. :)

Heidi the Hick said...

Dilling- like I said, Gramps recommends Florider! Gulf Coast, baby.

Yankee- I rode the bus to school too. All my life until I had an excuse to drive myself...I get the bus concept: get on it at home, get off it at school, make sure all the cars are stopped, then cross the road and walk down the lane to your house. No grey areas!

This congregating at a bus stop, close to stop signs that people drive through, I just don't get it. I usually walk them to school but until we get the bus thing sorted out I think I'll have to drive them. I'm not real happy about it.

But you're right. It will be okay!!!!