www.flickr.com

Friday, July 14, 2006

Photo Blast Part 2: Ride, Drive, Run!

A week at the farm with my Mom on holidays from work is not reality. She's got half the dishes washed before I even get the table cleared. She spoils me rotten. I come in from the barn and all I have to do is change and wash, and there's my supper.

The kids are spoiled too. Here's the Girl on the Ol Man's new machine:

It's not new. New ones are like Hummers. I like this one better. Here's a view of the new "race track" complete with old truck box/ cap combo which is likely to stay put and pretend to be an announcer's booth, or something.The goal is to ride a turn around the burn spot there, which is marked off by old rims. You can never have enough old rims lying around. So useful, and decorative too!
The straightaway (You can tell this was taken before we wore the track down!):We rode the horses down here too. Turns out, parked vehicles don't actually eat horses at all!

I got a chance to get on the old 430 and push some wrecks around. Oh joy. I love this thing. I love the sound of the 2 cylinder engine (them are a couple of giant pistons) and the way the gear shift chatters when you put it in gear but it always goes in. I love the shift pattern- something crazy like R 1 5 - 3 4 2. I love how it looks like it should not run, but it does! Every day.

My Girl is big enough to drive it now. I shared the seat with her so she could try it out. She had a hard time with the concept of getting the clutch in first so that the drive gear isn't pushing the the tractor forward and fighting the brakes. But she'll get it.

I've decided that the 4-wheeler is really good for ADD. She has to concentrate, but it's fun, not torturous, like sitting in class. There's an instant reward, a cause & effect. It's good for hand-eye-body co-ordination. And it's damn fun. They're not allowed to take it out of first gear. Despite that, they've figured out how to make massive ruts in the gravel !

We really need to get them a full face helmet. Because then they'll be safer and be really bitchin cool lookin. The Boy is convinced that he is a Perfeshnul Stunt Rider and in his mind, there are bleachers full of screaming fans.

Look at my dog. He cracks me up.
He went for over a week without being walked on the leash or seeing another dog. He didn't suffer. We took him down to the junkyard for a crazy run a few times each day. He loved it. Imagine the long grass waving and no dog in sight. Funny. The corn went from knee high to over my head in a week. It grows like weeds.

Our horses got some things to do too. We didn't ride for any great lengths. In fact we never even got out of a trot. My back hurt terribly all week and I wanted to be gentle with myself. I kind of think it's better to ride for 45 minutes every day than for two hours once a month, like I have. Although last year I hardly rode at all, with the drugs makin me all dizzy and stuff.

Saddling a horse takes so long. Saddling two is prohibitively time consuming. We can ride a trot bareback. A bit more practise and we'll be loping bareback. That's how I rode 25 years ago!

We're learning how to sidepass:
She was lame as a yearling. We took a chance on her and I'm so grateful that we did. I don't recommend taking on a lame horse, but it worked out for us.

He's not ribsy anymore but already getting a grass gut. Just can't get it right. But just look at the shine on this horse! He glows. I never get tired of looking at him.

Speaking of Never Get Tired of Looking at Him...

14 comments:

Biddie said...

Looks like a blast.I think that the time away did you all some good. Wouldn't it be great if everyone had a wonderful getaway place like yours?

Elmo said...

ewwwww you ride bare back, sexy!

Anonymous said...

Man, that looks like a great place to live and to ride.

Heidi the Hick said...

Biddie, I agree and you know I would like to live in a place like that instead of getaway to it!!!!

Elmo, you know it. Bareback is better. Not everybody gets the chance, but it's good.

Butt- it is a good place. Clearly I married for love since it meant leaving all that behind!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I think I need a turn on the four wheeler.
Remember the time Champ took off with me on his back? That scared the crap outta me and kinda still does, but I forgive him because he's pretty. (Pretty ppl, things etc. cannot be held accountable for their actions or the actions of others - I learned this from an excerpt of Paris Hilton's book(s)).
I love the farm and for some reason I always have.

Heidi the Hick said...

The 4 wheeler won't decide to take off on you. You know, you were the same age that my daughter is now when he took you for a little trot. At least he's grown up enough that his manners are catching up to his looks!

dilling said...

I am so jealous of the horse riding...someday, I will have my own little painted pony...my friends that I visited in June raise pugs...I think in my archives from June(entry called Tuesday) is a picture of one of their puppies. They have four adults and currently four puppies. One is L'atsu. Michael and I are pretty soft on him. The puppies are cute, but I am dead set on another beagle. I just need to get Michael on board.

CindyDianne said...

Looks like y'all had a great time at the farm. I am sorely needin an espace to the ranch.

Your mare looks to have lovely conformation and the Prince is stunning!

We have a 4 wheeler on the ranch. We ride it around like mad! Love, love, love it!

Anita said...

Warn a gilr, would ya?? I am scanning down, enjoying all these great pictures, when all of a sudden I get hit with the Johnny pic and almost have a heart attack!!
It should be illegal for a man to be so beautiful....

Heidi the Hick said...

Dilling- the pugs are really my favourite small dogs. I was always a big dog person but I'm slowly being converted! I like Pugs because they think they're huge and I like that in a small critter!

Cindydi- a girl needs an escape, that's the truth. There's only so much nice-nice town stuff you can handle! Thanks for the compliments on my horses. I love them. We'd like to have a foal out of our mare someday. She's worth it!

Amethyst- yeeheehee, here's your warning: A few months ago I got into the habit of wrangling a Johnny photo into every Friday post! In fact, I have promised myself that I'll never go for more than a page without a horse picture or a Johnny picture. I will find a way to include my favourite subjects!

Heidi the Hick said...

You know what, I got really used to riding saddled and I think my riding suffered for it. But, I'm not flexible, and I'm short, and I can't jump on from the ground.

Of course, I'm so stiff and sore now I can barely get my foot into the stirrup without standing on a box anyways...

And yes, sometimes all they need is a chance. You're right. She's been proving herself to me all her life!

Notsocranky Yankee said...

I grew up with a pug and they are very funny dogs. I bought one after college and ended up giving him to my mother so I could go fly airplanes. He was really spoiled after that and died at age 15. I heard them described once in a dog show as, "a lot of dog in a small package". I guess that sums it up.

Love the 4-wheeler! I wish we had room in the garage for one.

I'm glad you could spend some time with your horses. I'm sure that made them happy too!

Reid Farmer said...

Is that your pink John Deere hat you're wearing on the tractor?

Heidi the Hick said...

Yankee- it's because those motorcycles keep breeding that you have no room for a 4 wheeler!

Reid- No it's actually my ill-fitting Tack Shop hat. But I was wearing my pink bandanna underneath it. Not only does the bandana help stop the sweat-in-the-eyebrows thing but it also reinforces my status as The Stylin Hick Chick!