www.flickr.com

Monday, July 03, 2006

My Husband is a Real Nice Fella

...because he took me away from it all and we spent the weekend at this beautiful place, with a view, and amazing food, and a bed so big I didn't even know he was in it with me. I slept like a rock. Nobody to bug me, no dog, no horses to let out into the field, no phone ringing.

If you are ever in the Huron County area of Ontario and you need a wonderful getaway, go to the Benmiller Inn. It's made up of several buildings and takes up basically the whole town. It's not an economical getaway. Nope! (We didn't do the spa treatment. We just ate instead.) It was pricey. But we sure appreciated it!

I really wish I could upload some photos for you because I'd love to share this place, but my computer is not complying. I'll have to try again later...

Every time we do something like this, like going to the Juno awards, or just that rare visit to a nice restaurant, I always find myself thinking that I don't belong there...Jethro said the nicest thing. He said he hopes I always feel that way. Apparently it's part of my charm.

We went for a swim later in the day in Goderich, an amazingly pretty town, then drove down the coast to Bayfield, which is so insanely pretty it just isn't right. I'm not sure how it happened, whether it was always a tourist town and therefore stayed beautiful and charming and kept all the old buildings, or, if it became a tourist trap and then it was decided to keep all the old buildings. Whatevs, it's gorgeous. There was money here a century ago, and it shows. In fact, a drive west on Highway 8 from Stratford to Goderich will take you past some sprawling farms (with massive grain elevators) and through some of the best looking towns. This is the Huron Road, the most important highway around here about 150 years ago. I love this part of the province.

I'll show you the beach at Bayfield when I get some cooperation from this system.

It was so strange to have nothing to do. No deadlines, no phone, no appointments. Hours and hours to kill. Just hanging around with my favourite guy.

We don't get to do this often...maybe once every few years. It was worth it.

7 comments:

Distant Timbers Echo said...

That's soooo nice! I'm very happy you guys got to get away and relax for a while. I can't wait to see photos of it all!

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Sounds wonderful! I don't feel like I belong in the fancy places either. We went to the mountains and next time we want to go with a tent instead of staying at a hotel.

Can't wait to see the pix!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Goderich and area is nice. I haven't been there in years. It's weird being in fancy places where you don't belong but at least for a little while you can pretend you do. Or maybe that's just something I do. HaHa!

Heidi the Hick said...

And now...back to reality! He's about to start a serious stretch of work so I won't be seeing much of him. Good thing we got away.

and it is kind of fun to pretend to belong in the fancy places! It's even better to feel good about where you really belong.

CindyDianne said...

I have a serious fascination with hotels, inns, resorts and the like. It started back when I was traveling on business quite a lot and the company was picking up the tab for the fantastic places. Now, I have to pay for them myself - it isn't as much fun this way! ;-)

Sounds like you and Jethro had a fabulous time and got a much needed respite from the daily grind! Good for you! Congratulations again on 15 years!

Heidi the Hick said...

yankee- I can't do comments on your blog for some reason...but I've been reading it and loving it!!!

Cindy- If it wasn't for my husband I'd never have gone anywhere, but he's a real traveller. I do like to go places. Now that I'm getting old and cranky I prefer places that are clean and have comfy beds...

John Q. Public esq. said...

good for you two!