www.flickr.com

Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Don't Tell Me What the Poets are Doing

I'm convinced that Blogger is going to eat any priceless gems of verbal brilliance today, so instead of chancing it, I'm going to give you some other snippets of brilliance from some of my favourite songwriters. (I think only Canadian rock fans will get today's title though.) Here we go:

There's two feet of topsoil
A lttle bit of bedrock, limestone in between
A fossilized dinoaur
A little patch of crude oil
A thousand feet of granite underneath
Then there's me.
Brad Paisley, Two feet of Topsoil

I wanna leave but I just get stuck
A broken record runnin low on luck
There's heavy metal coming from your truck
I'm a (broken record runnin low on luck)
Red Hot Chili Peppers, Desecration Smile

But I've never seen a bale of hay move so fast
She was a bona fide forking genius
The Darkness, English Country Garden

Light, like the flutter of wings, feel your hollow voice rushing into me as you're longing to sing
AFI, Silver and Cold

Sanitation. Expiration date. Question Everything.
Or shut and and be the victim of authority
Green Day, Warning

The sun slips down bedding heavy behind
The front of your dress all shadowy lined
And the droning engine throbs in time
With your beating heart
Duran Duran, The Chauffer

Let's be honest you know you shouldn't bother
'cause with me it's impossible to win
Alexisonfire, Side Walk When She Walks

Have mercy on me baby Please give this heart a break
Have mercy on me baby I'll do just what it takes
You know you won't regret it
So hey there now I said it
Have mercy on me baby, have mercy
Loretta Lynn, Have Mercy

I've been defeated and brought down
Dropped to my knees when hope ran out
The time has come to change my ways
On this day I see Clearly
Everything has come to life
A bitter place and a broken dream
And we'll leave it all
Leave it all behind.
Alter Bridge, Metalingus

7 comments:

Timmy said...

is that freedom rock? well, turn it up!

Heidi the Hick said...

I turn it ALL up!

Heidi the Hick said...

Kari are you throwin the horns too?

Heidi the Hick said...

By the way, all of these lyrics are about me in some way. The writers did not realize this at the time of course.

CindyDianne said...

Nice job Heidi! I enjoyed it! Interesting and eclectic mix!

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Love ya girl.

Heidi the Hick said...

rebecca, it means that great minds think alike!