www.flickr.com

Thursday, December 01, 2005

I love The Darkness and I refuse to apologize!

I got up the strength to drive to the record store today, shamefully two days after this one came out! Is it great? It's the Darkness baby. Nudge nudge, wink wink. I love what you've done with your hair! Oh yeah!

I love these guys because they just don't give a crap. If a guitar solo is cool, do three! Heck, do a mandolin solo! How about a pedal steel? Why the hell not! Let's do a cello there, and maybe even a honky tonk piano. This is gonna be great! Can we put pan flutes and bagpipes on the same record? Well, we're GONNA! Sing in falsetto? Of course, but this time let's stack up five falsetto background tracks! Make it ten, just to be sure. Naughty lyrics? Must. Silly lyrics. Darling, why even ask? And underneath it all the rock solid rhythm section holding it down. YES. Oh wait, we just acquired a triangle. Well play it bro, play it lovingly!

This one sounds strangely more mature than the previous one. It's less punny. Of course, this is their Queen phase now. Last time out was their AC/DC phase.

Did I mention how much I love English men? I truly do. I love the use of multi-syllabic words in a short space of notes. I love the flirty pretensiousness that doesn't take itself seriously. I love the straight faced humour.

And just one more reason to love them: here's a line from "English Country Garden"

BUT I'VE NEVER SEEN A BALE OF HAY MOVE SO FAST
SHE WAS A BONA FIDE FORKING GENIUS

And wasn't I just writing about hay recently? Eh? Nudge nudge?

Well these stringy haired big lipped rocking crazies have cheered me up. I can get through the day now!

No comments: