www.flickr.com

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

THE FIRE SWAMP

The bus route takes my kids down this stretch of gravel road, where you could think you're hours away from anything man-made other than the road itself.


There's an interesting valley along there which Annyong has named The Fire Swamp.  (There are no Rodents Of Unusual Size though... I don't think they exist...)


Today after school we HAD TO take a little trip over there to take pictures.  She didn't even have her good camera with her but the light was so incredible she'd settle for iGadget pix. 


 Meanwhile, Bucky made fake wildlife calls and/or singing "the Trollolol Song" (fantastic echo in that forested swampy valley!) and I kept going on and on and on about the happy loud springtime noise made by millions of invisible critters.







A couple of things must be said about this little field trip, and the weather, and us:





This is bizarrely warm for the month of March in Ontario.  We were all wearing shorts and T shirts. I've been sleeping with my bedroom window open for almost a week.  I've had laundry hanging to dry on the wash line for a few days in a row. 





It won't last... we always get one last wet snowfall in April.  Always.  But we've been enjoying a rare early spring heatwave, the warmest I can remember in over twenty years.  






And, I LOVE WHERE I LIVE.  




We were out there for a good twenty minutes, and only one car came through.  And this is rush hour.  I love it, I love it, I love it. 



And while I'm at it, this declaring of truths and observations... my kids are awesome.  


















One last thing: Yes, she took every one of these pictures with an iPhone.  Like, allow me to be convinced that she is a magician.  Yeah, the iGadget camera is pretty impressive but it's the eye behind it that counts.  

4 comments:

Paul Tee said...

Hey, love those photos. I must get an iGadget. I can't believe the clarity and depth of view. What exactly is your model?

Excellent job by the photographer. One of my favorite themes (looking into woods pierced by light and reflections) I used to paint that when I painted, but then I opted for writing.

I love it when the next generation come through. My oldest son, let me have a look at the novel he has been working. For years I have waited for it. WOW! And I thought I was a writer; he definitely is a novelist. I always called myself a simple storyteller.

Btw, I love the well-groomed road (disturbed by just one track), here we are still full of pothole and washboard. If I hit it at speed I would rattle and skip right into the ditch.

Paul Tee said...

Btw, this season I'm voting for Phillip Phillips. I'm just saying...

mugwump said...

I want to ride through there. In a cape.

Bolingbrook Gutter Cleaning said...

Grreat reading this