www.flickr.com

Thursday, February 26, 2009

I still like having a story read to me.

Last night I took a little drive up to the Sprawlville Public Library for an author reading.  I made a promise to myself about two years ago that whenever there's an author reading nearby, within driving distance, I'd make a point of showing up with my ears turned on.  I'd bring some cash just in case books are being sold.  

It's not just for the pure entertainment value, or for the education I might get out of it.  It's this whole big karmic cosmic golden rule kind of payback optimism.  That person speaking into the microphone (or just talking loud enough to hear in a small room) is doing something that I want to do.  That's a published author.  I want to be that.  I'll go to these events, and in turn I hope that people will show up to my events in the future.

I'm going to buy a book if I can for the same reason.

Despite all kinds of phobias (I can't answer the phone or make a call easily) and anxieties (don't get me started) I am okay with being the person behind the mic facing a crowd.  Sure I get the butterflies; anybody would.  But I can do it.  I think a lifetime of having a turn doing a scripture reading or sharing a personal story at church has a lot to do with it.  Living with a recording studio helps.  I just don't have microphone fear.

On top of that, I read out loud, every night, for 14 years.  I can do it.

I've done it.  Last November I read a short story at my writers group book launch.  

So, I sat at the back row of the library community room, straining my neck to see Jane Urquhart  as she deadpanned a few humourous anecdotes, joked about her stories, and threatened that she'd already picked out the first person in the room to ask her a question.

I haven't read any of her books yet, but I've read many interviews in the book section of the newspaper.  She's a multiple award winning author.  She's become ubiquitous in this country. 


Her voice was as warm and rich as I imagined it would be.  She's an excellent reader.  I could let my eyes go out of focus and imagine the little girl living in the big house, sneaking through the shadows to get a look at the mysterious teenage orphan girl hired to clean the kitchen.  The images formed in my brain and became very real to me.  



Time to put one of her novels on my To Be Read shelf.

6 comments:

mugwump said...

What a lovely, wondrful idea. I'm going to do it too, OK?

Unknown said...

I do that too, the whole kharma thing. I try to buy as many books as I can- especially from first time authors! (I promise to buy yours if you buy mine. ;D )

Coffeypot said...

I love reading but, you can tell by my blogging, I can't write. I even have trouble coloring within the lines.

Also, did you notice that Jane Urquhert looks like Jill Claubaugh? Probably not, I seem to be the only person who sees famous people’s faces in others. I also see animals in some people’s faces.

I can’t wait till you are published and I can read your stuff.

Kerri said...

I've never heard an author read. That's a great idea. Btw, Sprawlville? For real? I may have to use that ;o)

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah, Sprawlville is just north of Affluencia.

Which is all north of Suburbia, which is north of The City That Ate Southern Ontario!

Kerri, go to an author reading, it's great!

Coffeypot, you write fine enough to make me chuckle, and that's really what matters.

Sue- Deal! I planned on buying yours no matter what.

Mugwump- You should do it, for sure.

It's all good

marsh to the fore said...

You get in there and do what you want to do. That is so great. I loved your description of going to a author's reading. I've only been to one. This will encourage me to go to more!