www.flickr.com

Wednesday, July 04, 2007

...yet I still find time to read...

I've got SIX kids in my house today. And it's raining outside. I'll be okay. Really I will.

I just started reading To Kill A Mockingbird yesterday. I finished the first chapter last night, and you know what went through my head when I turned off the light?

WHY HAS IT TAKEN ME OVER TWENTY YEARS TO FINALLY GET AROUND TO READING THIS BOOK?????

Honestly. What is wrong with me? It's not like it's some obscure book that I'd only vaguely heard of, and couldn't find in the store or in the library. Why didn't I read it until now? The first chapter, people. That's as far as I got and I'm hooked. It really is that good. That's all I got to say about that. For now.

In the meantime, head over next door to my evil twin blog and check out a couple of books I read about a month ago by fellow blogger and hard working writer Holly Kennedy. I'm finally getting around to telling you about them, since we're on the topic of books that are meant to be read! Seriously. I must stop procrastinating.

These girls have been writing down every word they've been saying since last night.

The boys are glued to the computer. I think I'll let them stay there. If they're down there, they're not bugging the girls. I'll be okay. Uh oh. Just heard the office door open...

12 comments:

Doughnut said...

Don't know if you ever saw the movie but if you get the chance, rent it and watch it. Great movie with Greggory Peck. I'm like you though. Takes me awhile to sit down and read a book regardless of how good it is. I like to digest them.

Biddie said...

I have about 10 books in my bookcase waiting to be read. Can't focus...Decided to start with short stories..
Raining here too. Porky won't pee. Ruby doesn't care. The kids won't get up. I'm still sleepy. :)

Heidi the Hick said...

LeRoy I've never seen the whole movie. I'll have to check it out start to finish when the book's been given its chance to sink into my brain.

Biddie, short stories are a good thing to read when you have a short attention span. That's why I write them!

katy said...

have seen the film but never read the book, not sure about that one.
SIX kids and you not got a headache, Well done you!!!

dilling said...

This is one of my four favourite books...and one of only two my mother ever MADE me read. I was only eleven or so and she sat me down with this book...she was serious about me reading it. Lessons worth learning.

Travis Erwin said...

To Kill a Mockingbird is one of my top five all time favorite reads.

Michael Colvin said...

I agree. It is a very thought provoking book.

I have always wanted to read, "The Catcher in the Rye" but somehow never got round to it...in fact, thanks for this post Heidi, I am going to order it online right now. :)

Heidi the Hick said...

That's another one I have to read, Tod.

I have to catch up on some Hemingway and refresh my memory for some of it.

My To Be Read Pile keeps getting higher and higher!!

Coffeypot said...

You know the old saying, “So many books; so little time.” There are so many books that I would like to read, but can’t. What I would like to read, though, is your book. Post some of it on your evil twin blog site, or better yet, send me a copy. I bet it is very good. Probably better than you think it is.

Heidi the Hick said...

Coffey, are you sure you want to read about a bunch of obnoxious teenagers????

(I hope you do actually. Patience. It's getting closer.)

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah I heard about about your teenager!! She turned out awesome!

There is hope...

CindyDianne said...

6? Oh FUN!

Catch ya when I am back from my HONEYMOON!