www.flickr.com

Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Peony



On Thursday morning they were coming into bloom, new and fresh...and by Monday morning they drooped, and some of the edges were turning brown.



It goes so fast. Some things have to be enjoyed intensely because there's such a short time for the experience.

I could fall right in. See the hint of yellow and the flash of pink in the centre. Stunning.

I cut some to bring into the house. Now I smell them as soon as I walk in the front door. I love it.

A few years ago I couldn't have cared less. I noticed that they were blooming, realized that I wasn't excited about it, and kind of vaguely missed that feeling. But didn't care. It feels good to care. I'm even relishing the feeling of loss that they'll soon be gone.

14 comments:

captain corky said...

That's pretty. It's so hot here in Kentucky. Everything that was green is now a nasty shade of deadish yellow.

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah, that's August for us. Right now it's still very green here. I've only been through Kentucky in the dead of winter...still thought it was pretty nice!

Biddie said...

I wish that my Morning Glorys would've come up this year. They just make the house a home, don't they?

Heidi the Hick said...

True. Is it too late to plant more seeds? Looked so good last year!

My marigolds haven't sprouted and I'm getting kind of worried. I might have to sprinkle more seeds. MORE SEEDS!!!

Anissa said...

They're gorgeous, Heidi! Absolutely gorgeous.

Lisa said...

The peonies are gorgeous. Enjoying them while there is time is a wonderful thought. The older I get, the more I think that way about everything -- the flowers, the seasons and especially other people. You remind me of how fleeting everything really is.

dilling said...

fabulous....when we live in a house with a bigger lot, we'll have some...funny that all I plan on posting today is pretty flowers from my house too...hmmmm.

Metal Mark said...

Good pictures. It's so hot here I am having to water twice a day just so the flowers don't completely fall over.

katy said...

beautiful i can almost smell them from here

DINK said...

BEAUTIFUL HEIDI ....JUST BEAUTIFUL. I MISS YA WOMAN!

Timmy said...

I smelled em!

Doughnut said...

I love peonies. I just wish they lasted all summer. Someday I am going to plant some here where I live now. I don't know how long they take before they start blooming. Could sure use some of that stuff you shovel though Heidi!

Heidi the Hick said...

You really do need some of that good shovelin' stuff! (Like I said, smell-o-vision!)

The peonies I have took a season to get going. I transplanted them two years ago and look at 'em now!

~Pees With A Fist Sitting Down said...

I think that the Peony has become my most favorite flower...they're so full, so delicate, so beautiful! Just love them!