www.flickr.com

Thursday, June 07, 2007

Much as I despise this term, I'm taking it to the Next Level

From the Ontario Equestrian Federation website:

RIDER II

Candidates will be taught how to:

The proper riding position with the use of one hand and two handed positions
How to post on the correct diagonal and change diagonals
Maintain a proper riding position of the:
a) Body b) Legs c) Hands
Variations of speed at the lope
Execute transitions of the gaits
Name and demonstrate the effects of the indirect rein and the neck rein
Be able to identify the correct lead (within 5-6 strides)
Execute correctly all practical work referred to in Rider I

I can do this.

And also I really love horses. Always have.


(1989, with my pony, goofing off)

I've been riding on my own since age 5, on a little ol lady Shetland pony. Before that I sat on a quarter horse and got led around the yard by my daddy. In those 31 years since, I've watched, observed and imitated the way other, better riders do what they do but didn't necessarily know how to do it. I can stay on a horse, for the most part, but now in the last year I've been studying some serious technique.

I've never considered myself naturally talented at riding. I'm not flexible, my balance isn't great, and I'm rather uncoordinated. However, I love it. It's so cool to be able to direct a 1,000lb animal and make him think it's his idea. It's awesome to know that he is stronger than me, but he's doing as I ask. It's amazing that he instinctively is all about fight-or-flight, yet he's my partner and we're a team, him the prey, me the biped predator on his back. It really is hard to believe that it can work, but it can.

I'm learning more all the time. I have no idea what kind of teacher I'll be in the future but right now, I am enjoying the ride.

16 comments:

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

GOod Luck.

Balloon Pirate said...

Yeah! Go on with your bad self!

I know the feeling of wonder. I used to feel it every time I thought about all the things that have to go right when chasing down a fly ball in the outfield.

But that's just me and a projectile. Another creature? Wow.

I'm pulling for ya!

yeharr

CindyDianne said...

ah, isn't it is most amazing feeling when you work with them on something over and over and over and you finally ask them in the right way and they do it? I love that!

Michael Colvin said...

I have never ridden a horse...never. It is something I have been curious about and always wanted to try.

Another thing that always puzzles me is over here I never see men on horseback, only women. Hmmm.

Biddie said...

Glad you labeled that photo. I thought that you looked a little different....

Heidi the Hick said...

KC- I passed!! The riding part anyways. I still have to write the test tomorrow... thanks for the luck!

Pirate- yeah!! If it's any consolation, I'm much better with creatures than projectiles. Maybe everything's relative?

Cindy- YES. I love that too!!

Tod, you should try it. Just once. It's pretty cool. And I am just as puzzled but I have a few theories as to why horse barns and shows are full of women.

-girls who love horses love them all. Boys who love horses will pick ONE and that's his horse and he won't work with anyone else.

-a lot of men try to strong arm a horse into behaving and they don't take well to that, but women go for a more instinctive approach which seems to go better. In my case, I'm simply not big and strong enough to physically boss a horse around! I have to out think him!!

I should blog about this. Thanks Tod!

Biddie, yeah, that was a while back. I didn't suddenly shrink a horse and lose all kinds of weight since you saw me last!!

Angela said...

SWEET! Way to be a go-getter! Have fun, you'll do great I'm sure!

captain corky said...

Seems like a great way to spend a lifetime. And congrats on passing the riding part!

dilling said...

have i mentioned how much i love your flickr badge?

Coffeypot said...

Hey, Heidi, did you like my poetry on your last entry? I have been out of town for a couple of days and just trying to get caught up.

Doughnut said...

Just attended a workshop about equine yesterday and thought about you Heidi. I think you could help people get in touch with themselves via a horse...cuz horse's love unconditionally and reflect a person's moods so well. It could be far more than learning how to ride a horse...of course learning anything from you would be a lesson in life to be sure!

Heidi the Hick said...

LeRoy (thanks!) Yes you're absolutely right. There is more to it than just riding. it's a real communication thing, and horses are all about body language and senstivity. I will write more about this later!

Coffeypot, you are a hell of an entertainer!!

Dilling, thanks for loving my flickr badge, you expert flickr you!

Corky, and Angel, thanks for the encouragement!

~Pees With A Fist Sitting Down said...

Flickr show is COOL!

Have a fantastic weekend, H! :D

KSHIPPYCHIC said...

I would love love love to be able to ride a horse again. I think you would make a great teacher!

Nicole said...

This is cool, Heidi. You can so totally do this. Can't wait to hear the details of your test.

:-)

Nicole said...

I've always thought that it's the smart boys who get into horses, because the horse world (barns, shows, etc) is chock full of girls, with little in the way of male competition. :-)