www.flickr.com

Friday, May 18, 2007

A pictureless Friday...sad little me...

Well kids, there won't be pictures today, and I'm really sorry about that because I enjoy them as much as you do. Maybe more. Today we'll have to use our imaginations. You do have an imagination, right?

Finally the world is coloured, bright tulips against a backdrop of vivid green, but the gloom I fight with every spring lingers. It will pass, it always does. I’m doing my best to accept it and get on with it but man, there are times when I just have to get a little shot of Cheer Up.

(This is where I would have put a photo of Johnny Depp with a white horse...if Blogger was co-operating today.)
Works every time. Doesn’t last long enough but then I just have to go back for another hit.

Excellent temporary relief!

(Here I planned to post a photo of Johnny wearing a blue plaid shirt in an extremely opulent room with heavy curtains and old furniture...which in my mind is actually the library of my large palatial victorian farmhouse. Eh?)

Look at this: the street that T-bones ours is undergoing a massive reconstruction. Right now I couldn’t care less about how much this work is needed- all I know is, my damn house is vibrating! I’m the second house in from the corner. I’m not happy. Two years ago the same crap was going on in my own yard. I still haven’t recovered entirely from the Construction Project That I’m Not Yet Ready to Talk About.

My ten year old Boy, however, is thrilled because there’s an industrial John Deere parked in view of our front window. I gotta say, I can’t help but look at that thing and think what a nice machine it would be for moving the manure pile every spring. Ohhhh yeah. (This is where I would have posted the picture I took last night of the heavy equipment lurking on the street corner, right beside the Porta-Pot.) Also, my Boy thinks it’s completely awesome that there’s a Porta-Pot on the street corner. The other night he went out for a bike ride with his Walkie-Talkie and beeped me that he had to go real bad and wanted to just duck into the Porta-Pot before biking home. I told him to just get home.

On Monday there was a white car parked in front of our house. At quittin time, a young fella got out of the passenger side of a construction company pickup truck. He walked over and popped open the trunk of his little white Pontiac. He was tall, slender, and had skin the colour of dark chocolate. He set his lunch box into the trunk, then got out a towel and vigorously wiped his hands. He rubbed the towel over his arms and neck before bringing out a pair of running shoes and setting them on the gravel behind the car.

I decided to see where this all went. He bent over to untie his work boots, pulled them off, socks too, and set his bare feet on top of his shoes. The boots, socks stuffed into them, went into the trunk.

Then he unbuttoned his pants. (Ha ha, I don't have pictures of this!!!! Sorry!!!! Although his car is in front of my house again...but of course Blogger is not co-operating...) Sure enough, the young fella stripped off his dirty jeans, and again carefully stood on top of his shoes. He was standing there in his boxers as he reached into the trunk for his nice clean denim shorts. When they were on his body, he stepped into his shoes.

Next he pulled his dusty T shirt over his head and replaced it with a clean red T shirt. He appeared to do a bit of rearranging in the trunk and then closed it up, unlocked the doors, and got into his perfectly clean white car.

Fascinating. That boy’s mama sure raised him right. He’s not even getting into his nice new car with his dirty clothes on. He changed his clothes on the side of the street instead.

Had to think of myself and how much I’ve fallen! Growing up on a farm meant never wearing your barn clothes anywhere other than the barn. Now that I live in town and have discovered a barn whose owner needs a helping hand, I get into my truck in dirty clothes at least twice a week! I even often park my barn boots- gasp- inside the front door of my house!

If the barn was in my backyard I’d never bring my barn boots into the house. But here, I admit, it’s kind of like a little poke at townie life. Ha. I have barn boots and I’m not afraid to use them.

So I’m not happy about this construction project ruining my life this summer. It’s going to go on until September. gahhhhh. I am going to get out of town. (I wanted to put up a photo of the little "steam roller" on the street. The Boy wants it. Real Bad. It does not operate on steam, so I don't know why we still want to call them steam rollers, but I guess "diesel roller" just doesn't sound as cool. In any case you don't get to see it so picture it with Wile E. Coyote on it if you must.)

A weekend in my natural habitat should cheer me up a little. Hopefully a lot. I want to ride our horses and visit our mothers and maybe even move a manure pile with a John Deere!!

But before I go, I’ll share with you some things I cheer myself up with when I’m not hanging around at my friend’s barn:

Tulips from my garden: (Trust me, they're lovely. They look really colourful against the grey dining room wall.)

Pictures of my horse: (Again, trust me...you will see him. Lots and lots more of him.)

My funny dog: (yeah there will be more pictures of him too!)

My extensive file of Johnny Depp pictures: (Because some of you are here mostly for the Johnny content, I know.)

I fully intend to be back in form next week. I’m planning on it. This week I’ve accepted that I’m feeling kind of low, but I know it won’t last. (Putting up new photos on Monday will cheer me up a little bit I'm sure.)

I want to write about the process of editing a novel, and about Mystery Ailment, and about the incredible fact that I am about to become the mother of a teenager. There’s even a possibility that I’ll bring you along on a riding lesson.

Have a great weekend and to my Canadian Friends-

HAPPY MAY 2-4!!!!

18 comments:

Notsocranky Yankee said...

I have an imagination! I could see those pictures no problem...

Have a great weekend with mom and the new horsey!

Heidi the Hick said...

Thank you!!!!! (for the wishes and for your imagination!)

Kim said...

Nice to finally find another hick.....

Doughnut said...

Yeah...I could see what you were writing....very descriptive Heidi, right down to the boxers! lol

Have a great weekend and I hope you are all cheered up when you come back Sunday night or Monday. Look forward to your pics and posts!

Heidi the Hick said...

Karen, come on back, I got lots more...

LeRoy- the boxers! Can you believe it? I wasn't watching when he left work today though, so I don't know if he regularly changes after work, or if he maybe just had a hot date that evening!

Biddie said...

amazing. you rock, heidi. LOVED the post.

dilling said...

close my eyes...what do i see???
Johnny depp in a blue flannel shirt, holding a bouquet of tulips in a barn full of spotted horses, wearing wellies caked in horse poo while talking to a little flat-faced dog and smiling for a camera....
love it! thanks.....

Doughnut said...

Heidi..hot dates usually make guys do things they normally wouldn't - like change their clothes in public. I don't think guys have as many inhibitions as women when it comes to stripping LOL...I can't believe I wrote that!

Green Wellies said...

Me? I sat here picturing Johnny Depp stripping down to his boxers right in front of your house. See what happens when you don't post photos!
Thanks for the mental image...
Green Wellies Barb

Doughnut said...

Imagination beats reality - hands down! :))

katy said...

i got the guy in the cool boxers phew just wiping the sweat off my brow now! sucks when we are down eh? i love to go on a long dog walk to cheer me up, with friends and lots of dogs. hope the weekend cheers you up x

Heidi the Hick said...

OK, I have to say it...you guys are all awesome and I love your beautiful pictorial imaginations!!!!

Thanks for the smiles!

terry said...

you did a lovely job painting word pictures. who needs photos?

Biddie said...

Ummm, phone me. Big news. Must talk to you SOON.

captain corky said...

I hope you had a great weekend Heidi. Blogger can be a real pain in the ass sometimes, but don't tell them I said that or they might start charging me to use it. ;)

Anonymous said...

shes, you should see what the inside of my car looks like. its a horrible mess. and I don't even care if it is or not.

CindyDianne said...

It's been a Heidi-less Monday for me. Poor me.

Anissa said...

My car looks like the kids and I live in it. And sometimes it even feels like we do!

Hope you had a great weekend!