www.flickr.com

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Smartypants: My Grocery Store Aversion! Angel: What I Do For A Living!

A while back, I had a dream that Brad Pitt took me out to buy groceries. It was the best, most fun, happiest grocery store experience I’ve ever not had!

I hate shopping with a cold knuckled passion. My husband thinks I’m totally weird though. He loves buying food. Well. He just doesn’t understand...the grocery store trolls don’t bother him like they bother me.

Why wouldn’t I have a grocery store aversion? It starts before I even go. I have to make a list, partly because I’ll forget and partly because I am a compulsive list maker. But before I make the list, I have to face the kids and ask “What will you NOT turn your perfect little nose up at?”

Then I have to remember the list. If I get to the store and realize that the list is still on the kitchen counter, I will stand there frozen for a few long drawn out seconds, willing myself not to cry.

Then I have to find a decent cart. If it pulls to one side or has a wheel wobble, well, I might cry.

So I’m in the store.

There are other people in there. Other people tend to always be lingering at the one thing I want to pluck off the shelf. They wear boring clothes, they look miserable and they are always in slow motion. What kind of strange physics exist in the grocery store that leave me in real time but slow all other humans down to a crawl?

Then I have to face the multitudes of choices. How many kinds of ketchup do we need??? And is the cheapest one the same as the expensive one, only with a different label???

Oh and then there’s the muzak. It makes me feel surges of potential violence.

You know what the worst thing is about the store? It’s full of food. You know what that leads to? Cooking.

Cooking and decision making about the cooking. What to make that both kids will eat, that’s healthy, and won’t take all day to prepare, and won’t cost too much. I have to cart all this food home, then stand there in the kitchen and try to guess what won’t get complained about.

This leads to incredible guilt, because I live in a country of wealth, and here I am complaining about the abundance of food.

When I have survived the shopping, I’ll have to pay for it. This is where it gets ugly. I have had way too many bad days in my life when I couldn’t afford food. I’d get to the cashier, having added it all up on the side of the grocery list, and suddenly it doesn’t add up, and I’m twenty bucks short. Then with a red face and stinging eyes, take things out as the cashier totals it. I don’t buy expensive junk foods, so I’m deciding I don’t really need that block of cheese (damn cheese) and we don’t need sliced meat because we’ll just eat the cheap tuna instead. Running out of money for groceries has always been a fear.

And you know what burns me the most? I’m going to get that food home and somebody might waste it. I hate that.

But what I hate most of all is the trolls. I hate grocery store trolls. Just when you think you’re safe in the dairy aisle, one jumps out from behind the nacho chips display. Jethro thinks it’s really funny but he doesn’t know. He’s never been ambused like I have. He thinks I’m overreacting but I’m telling you, if he ever gets attacked by the trolls as he walks innocently past the cereal, he’ll change his tune pretty fast.

I have been outsmarting them though. I am learning to survive.



I make a longer list. I set it on the table for a few days and tell the kids to write something down, which I may or may not buy. I tell myself that if I can get through this, I don’t have to do it again until next week. I bring the Ipod shuffle. I get the boy to load it up with all my metal therapy.

And I usually buy myself a chocolate bar and a People magazine for the destressing afterwards!

Sadly, Brad Pitt is only available to accompany me on these shopping trips in my dreams.

I really feel the pressure to get it right! I have one major job to do with my life, and this is it. I am the parent who takes care of home and family. My one task, the thing that I can’t screw up, is bringing home the food. So I better get out there and do it.

Because it's what I do. But not for a living. I do nothing for a living.

I’m pretty sure I work. I do more than blog. I’ve written a couple of unreadable novels and a couple that need a lot of work. I’ve kept two kids alive for over a decade. Our clothes are clean and we don’t smell bad. Last year we had a nice collection of homegrown vegetables. I cook, whether I like it or not.

I just don’t get paid for any of it.

My most recent paying gig was teaching riding lessons.
I liked it enough to start thinking I should do it for real. I think kids and horses can go very well together.

I’ve never made a single penny from writing. Not a red cent. I’ve been telling stories for as long as I can remember, up until about a year ago when I decided to smarten up and get serious about this.

I write for many reasons.

I love it. I have an active imagination. There’s a whole other world going on up there. My three other personalities really enjoy my stories. I have to write. If I don’t get it out it fills my brain up pretty bad and then I start forgetting things!

Some of you might know that I started this Little Blog Project about a year after I had a Little Breakdown. I was kinda mental when I started this. Now I’m feeling much more like my own normal healthy kind of mental. Once I started wobbling along in blogworld, I felt a change. The words came out easier the more I wrote. I hadn’t been at it in a long time. I think being sucked into a bad depression, that I worked very hard for years to deny, stopped the words for a while. This freed me up. I loved it. I slowly felt more like myself. Some of you have remarked that I sound different than I did a year ago or a few months ago.

Before the breakdown, I was working for my husband. I spent two or three hours working on his paperwork, billing, and phone calls, leaving the rest of the day to take care of the house and kids and all that stuff. With him putting in 14-16 hour days, it was good to have me here running the place. After the breakdown, I wasn’t working for anybody. Seriously.

We’ve had a few long talks since then about working for a living. He’s the one with the career that we’ve both put a lot of suffering into. He didn’t want to take a chance on me breaking down again. I still feel fragile. I can get the panic under control now, but I have set up my life to suit me, instead of trying to fit myself into anybody else’s job demands. Life is generally pretty okay these days. It’s been a hell of a long road to get here but I no longer feel like I can’t survive.

I have a life!

He wants me to write. There are no guarantees that I will ever make any money from writing. He says he’s investing in the future, and letting me off the hook for earning an income protects his investment. He makes my eyes fill with tears.

We both know that I need to have horses in my life. I know I can make a small living from teaching but probably only enough to keep the horses fed. I’d love to be able to do that myself and not depend on his income to take care of the horses.

Here's where I work. This is the corral at the farm. The footing isn't ideal but we're not doing any seriously athletic moves. Some day I'd like to have a decent sand ring.

Here's where I work. My desk. My messy little corner of the family room.

Where the magic happens, people. Ha ha. Yes, that's a Pirates of the Caribbean calendar. And a big empty space on the shelf. Guess what that's for.

So, right now, I don’t make an income. But, you know, I’m living.

(Love Month starts tomorrow...)

17 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Taking care of your family is the most important job in the world and I'm guessing you are doing a darn good job of it these days. Jethro is no dummy - he is investing in his futute. You will hit it big with one of those novels. I can't wait. I am going to say "I knew her before she was on Oprah's Book Club". It'll be exciting. But, when you are rich and famous, will you come to Texas? I want an autographed book!

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Some days,I love grocery shopping...but thats only because I really like food.

Heidi the Hick said...

KC, I really like food that somebody else made!!!

CindyDianne, I'm doing a better job than I was, that's for sure. There's no guarantee that I'll hit it big and I'd settle for hitting it medium! And heck yes I'll come to Texas, if I have anything to say about it!!!

captain corky said...

"How many kinds of ketchup do we need"???

Only one Heidi. Heinz.

I can't go to the grocery store on an empty stomach or I wind up spending at least 50 dollars more then when I go right after I eat.

Keep writing and keep living!

Timmy said...

I am with you on the grocery store thing!

I think your little corner office is SWEET! Love the calendar!!

Distant Timbers Echo said...

I simply love those endless green pastures behind you guys in that one picture...

terry said...

i'm so with you on the people in slow-motion at the grocery store.

they also have no concept of space, and how not to take up all of it!

you are a gifted writer, heidi... and i'm certain we'll be seeing your name in bookstores one day.

katy said...

'i don't buy expensive junk food' ha ha, hey can you not go on line for grocery shopping, my friends do that as they also hate food shopping.
we will see your name in print, keep up the good work, paid or not you doing a great job

Angela said...

Heidi, Have you got the book "Starting and Running your Own Horse Business"? It's amazing.

It's pretty cool that you get to run the house. I always thought that's the way it oughta be.

Captn Corky is right. Heinz is the only kind of ketchup the world will ever need.

Heidi the Hick said...

There are days when running the house is cool and days when I wanna run far away!

We kind of have this bizarre 50's kind of life, where daddy makes the money and mommy spends it. Heck , it works for us.

Doughnut said...

And what works for your family Heidi is the most important thing. You know the cliche: If mama ain't happy, ain't no one happy!

You are worth your weight in gold by just staying home, keeping the home fires burning (maybe some food too once in awhile), and staying balanced....for that is when you are happy and then the family is as well. Glad you found your way out of the depression and back to the living Heidi.

dilling said...

You know, I was there, once(well, technically still am)...shopping at smaller and smaller stores, not going down any aisle that had another person in it... It would take me three hours to make all the decisions needed to pick what brand of coffee, which loaf of bread...waiting for someone to leave the aisle before I went in...it is still rough, but I can cope...if I go monday morning before 10 am, I can even go to the store I want... nothing brings on an anxiety attack like the grocery store, too many choices, too many rude people, too too too many florescent lights that hum, and bad music...it makes me queasy thinking of it now, but on Monday mornings, after a weekend of cuddliness and ego boosting, I can do it and do it well...but I did eat crappy food for a long, long time before I got that much together. You are not alone.

Heidi the Hick said...

Well dilling, we're not alone... yeah the lights. I hate the lights.

I have a whole bunch of strategies to get through the store. As well as the ones I wrote about, I also only go on Monday. I think the little Ipod has made the biggest difference. It's a little unnerving to be walking around kind of cut off from the sense of hearing what's going on around me but it's worth it to drown out what I don't want to hear.

Savvy?

Coffeypot said...

Nice office. I like it, and it looks functional and well used. I also noticed the calendar of Mr. Depp, surprise, surprise.

I think, given the choice between grocery shopping with Brad Pitt and shoveling horse shit, well, I’m afraid the shovel would win out. All the horseshit is right there in front of you and not embedded in an ego.

And all of us have our days when running or helping out with the family sucks a big green one. But most of the time it is worth it and very rewarding when you see a smile or hear a nice comment. At least that’s what I hear. People usually run into another room when I enter.

Heidi the Hick said...

hahaha!

If given a perfect situation it would be this:

Brad Pitt gets my groceries. He brings em in and puts em away too. Meanwhile I'm flinging it out in the barn, but Brad stands there lookin pretty so I can get an eyeful when I take the wheel barrow out.

I kinda like my alternative brain world...

Notsocranky Yankee said...

I wish I could help you out with the grocery shopping. I go every few days when I'm home, mostly so the food doesn't go to waste. I used to try to figure out the whole week, but then the fresh food starts to push it's shelf-life and food gets wasted. The worst part for me is trying to pick a few meals that will get the least complaints. Nobody wants to make those decisions! And when I am about to leave on a trip, I need to make sure everything is all stocked up AND it's food that Cranky will actually prepare.

Love your office. I sit on one end of the couch, with piles of papers, notes and lists all around me. It's not pretty!

Smartypants said...

I'm finally back home with more access to the internet.

Thank you, sweetie, for writing about your grocery store aversion. I'm glad you've found ways to deal with it.

For me, I just can't seem to fathom the idea of popping into a grocery store every few days as many people do. It just seems like such an ordeal.

Ack.