www.flickr.com

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Holly asks about My Earliest Memory

We lived in an apartment that used to be the woodshed on the back of the farmhouse. Wooden steps, painted a minty green, descended from the sunporch on the second floor down the outside of the house to the patio below.

The patio was paved with large rectangles of flat concrete stones. Between each stone little weeds fought to push their way up and under the steps my mom’s mint patch flourished.

It was the sun. I remember the feeling of the sun soaking into my skin, and being aware that I was there under that bright sun and it was warm and I loved it. I looked down at my striped T shirt. It was sleeveless. It was the first time that I was aware very strongly that I had a place in the world. I must have been about three.

Across the strip of gravel, my dad was working in his shop. I have more memories of playing with bondo shavings on the gravel outside the shop, making bondo shaving pizzas with an old grinding wheel for a crust. I remember using an old truck frame as a monkey bars and scraping my knee very badly. I remember my mom vacuuming the wood floor in our apartment and the blue and yellow tiled floor in Grandma’s big house farmhouse kitchen on the other side of the entrance way. I remember my baby sister’s huge dark brown eyes and the little yellow stuffed puppy that we played with.

I remember Star’s red body and her black legs, and that one white fetlock. I remember my Daddy boosting me onto Star’s back where I hung onto her black mane for dear life and loved every second of it.

But before all of that, I remember that hot day in the summer, in my striped T shirt, with the sun beating down on me and juicy tough weeds poking out between the slabs of concrete. I was being watched. My father was in the shop, my mother most likely hanging laundry on the washline up in the sun porch. They knew exactly where I was and what I was doing, but I didn’t know that at the time. I thought I was totally free. I was busy soaking up the sun.

10 comments:

Timmy said...

sounds lovely!

Biddie said...

Wow. My 1st memory is when I'm about 2, and I am in my Dad's arms, watching the boats on Lake St. Claire. My Dad used to tell me that I could not possibly remember that, but I do. Barely.
Your memories are so vivid. You remember everyone in your family...I can only remember my Dad...interesting...

Nicole said...

Heidi, I think you just described Heaven. :-)

Michael Colvin said...

WoW! Two great post in a row! That was an amazing read. Thank you.

Coffeypot said...

Good memory. I can remember back when I was around two. I have several memories of that time but I'm not sure of the chronological order, but the one that I REALY remember is, I was still in diapers but I was potty training. One day I took the potty out into the back yard (yes, it started that early) and pooped in the pot. As I was going to call mama to come and wipe me I looked up and saw an airplane way up high with a contrail running behind it. For some reason it scared me, and I stared to cry. My momma came running out and gave me a spanking for taking the potty out in the yard. It didn’t get much better, either. I’m glad you have good memories of the sun and horses.

Heidi the Hick said...

Tim, I'm so happy that my first memories are lovely ones!

Biddie, as you know, I don't have a good memory at all. I just have vivid short scenes surrounded by huge amounts of blur and static. And I totally understand that you'd remember your dad only!!! He was memorable, that's for sure!!

Nicole, thank you! I cherish my happy memories.

Tod, you're welcome. Anytime.

Coffeypot, you have an incredible memory! And I think it's perfectly fine to drag that thing outside and do your business. In fact, you should go camping in remote areas and catch up for all the time you lost. Just make sure you bury it afterwards! And avoid airplane routes.

Holly Kennedy said...

What a wonderful post, Heidi. Thank you for answering my question.

Your response was beautifully put and spot-on moving. Made me feel like I was there with you.

Doughnut said...

A warm memory Heidi for a first one. Mine is looking up in the sky seeing the clouds and the powerlines while in a car. I don't know if I was being held or just laying in the back seat of the car but it felt like I was floating. Maybe it was a dream...I will never know.

CindyDianne said...

I wanna be sitting in that sunshine!

Balloon Pirate said...

A lovely memory. Truly. It sparkles.

yeharr