www.flickr.com

Friday, December 29, 2006

Gifts, Treasures, and Valuables

I'mm baaaaaack!

It's been good. Lots of food, relaxing, dirty horses, loved ones, and very few panic attacks. Life is getting better!

Jethro took the boy shopping with him on the 24th to get my presents. I would have asked him not to buy anything for me, except that he got my name in the gift exchange. What I really want is my new horse. That's what I want the money spent on. A new horse will not fit under the tree and is way out of the gift exchange budget... so I begged him not to go nuts and spend a lot. (I also need a new or newish small block Chevy engine but that's another story...)

I told him I need horse dewormer.

He went to the lingerie store.

Now, just pause for a second. A large, long haired dude in a black canvas coat with a shaggy haired ten year old little dude in a hoodie walk into a lingerie store. They both look perplexed and dazed, but for different reasons. They are looking for pug pajamas!

I didn't get my pug pajamas though. Apparently that particular store doesn't stock flannel pug pajamas. Oh well.

Here's what I did get, and I was THRILLED, honestly!


Two tubes of dewormer for Christmas, and a nice new bit for my birthday!

They obviously left the lingerie store and headed for the one place sure to have what a girl like me really wants. They shopped for my gifts and the TSC store!

Darn nice bit too. Swivel shank, jointed curb, copper mouthpiece! I think this bit is part of the next phase of the Little Lady's training!

Speaking of...

Here are the two little mares on Christmas Eve day. Needless to say, we didn't bother riding. They were so dirty, and the ground was so wet. We just gave them pats and hugs instead. They seemed to like that.

Look at this sky!


On Christmas day we all did some hardcore relaxing. The cat knows how to do it.


The dog learned well from him.

Eventually we got up off the couch, (Dead Man's Chest is a loooong movie) and we took the obnoxious townie dog of ours for a walk down the dirt road. We have to walk along the ditch below the highway to get there.

Here's me, outstanding in my field.

It's not actually my field, but it is a field and I'm out standing in it. I'm 36 years old. I'm finally getting a clue as to who I am, who I am now as opposed to who I was, and what exactly I'm all about.

Here's my hip little daughter.

Down the road. I love it. I'd rather brave the wind than walk past another manicured lawn. That's just me.

Boxing day was our first annual party with my Bestest's family. We all found ourselves without other family related plans and decided this was our day. Her hubby is an awesome cook- seriously- I have to elaborate on this. My mother does a nice turnip but this...this was... this was goooood. And the turkey. Niiiiiice! And a great big tasty ham (which we've gnawed at every day since) and the mashed potatoes! Like, Large Man is a keeper regardless and I knew the man could cook, but like.... even if we'd had a crappy time I'd go back next year for the food! Did I mention the four different pies????

We gave each other gifts and we played Trivial Pursuit 80s, we talked, laughed, watched movies, took dogs for a walk to look at Christmas lights, and generally had a wonderful day. These people are the treasures. We have to dedicate this day for us next year too. New traditions are valuable too.

Our dog is in love with their young dog. And why not- look how pretty she is!! You can tell it's love because he spent most of the day with his face in her butt. Dogs, eh?

The little old football shaped Grandma dog was very disapproving of the whole thing. She made her disapproval very well known with her snarls and yelping barks! The pug was unfazed though, what with all the girlin' he was busy with. He pretty much slept all day the next day. Plum tuckered out.

We have been worryingly broke lately. It's okay though- we'll be okay. We'll get through this. It's always frightening to not know how much money you'll have to live on. But we've got lots of love in our lives. We've got a faith that means a lot to us- enough to go to church twice on Christmas Eve day! I wanted some peace in my life and I got it. I learned once again that no matter how much I worry about not having enough food, when we get together with loved ones and put it a meal together, there is always more than enough.

I'm lucky to live in a land where there is food to go around. I have a shelter, and I have comfort, and I have lots of love.

I've been having a very good Christmas.

15 comments:

CindyDianne said...

Heidi - I am so glad you are back! I missed you and Biddie a lot. I had the misfortune, or fortune, of working this week and I was bored, bored, bored without my blog buddies!

I have a bit just like that, I bought it at TSC too! It's my favorite store. We have to go there later today and buy food for the dogs!

I need to worm JJ in the worst way. BUT, he's a Pain with a capital P. I can't do it. Everytime I get close with the tube he throws his head. Something traumatic must have happened to him before I got him. I've actually had to ace him so that I could give him bute before! Isn't that crazy? It's the only thing truly frustrating about him. They all have to have something...

Heidi the Hick said...

You know, my ol king was like that too. He'd have his head way up and all over the place and no matter how hard I'd twitch his upper lip he'd still jerk his head around. He was only 14.3 but I couldn't reach his mouth!

I'd end up with dewormer paste all over my clothes and hair.

When I did the two mares, it was so easy I thought I must have done something wrong. Yeah, all horses have something frustrating about them. I miss him so much!

I'll be writing something else tomorrow so hang in there. Love your Christmas tree!

Vicki said...

Welcome back.

Your idea of good Christmas and mine are the same! I'm begging for a new horse also but I am told I have to sell one of the several we have before I can bring another one home. He's such a party pooper!

We use Medicine Bag with our horses. Have you ever heard of it? We had a horse, my daughter's barrel horse, that would loose weight EVERY SUMMER. he looked awful but was healthy.. as.. well.. a horse. We started giving this to him and it worked amazing! They say that if you feed this you don't have to worm your horses. It's expensive but if you have a horse that your having health troubles with it's worth the price.

Michael Colvin said...

Welcome back to blogland. I enjoyed reading about your Christmas!

Heidi the Hick said...

Hi Vicki!

Good thing we all have our priorities straight, eh? I don't actually have a horse right now. One is my kids' horse, the other is borrowed. First time in 30 years I've been without a horse of my own. Not for long, I hope.

I haven't heard of Medicine bag but I might look into it for our old borrowed mare- I have the hardest time keeping weight and muscle on her!

Hi Tod! Now I have to go check and see if you're back in blogland too, because I'd love to read about your Christmas!

Balloon Pirate said...

Nothing celbrates the birth of our Lord quite like a helminth-free digestive tract!

Happy Holidays!

yeharr

Crafty Missus said...

it sounds to me like you found the spirit. good good.
and good gifts.
i like it when i get garden stuff, usually for my spring birthday. nothing says love like a square top shovel!
happy belated birthday. i missed your words.

captain corky said...

I really like the pics of the sky and the horses. I'm glad you having a good holiday Heidi!

Smartypants said...

I'm glad you're back! I'm still sick.

::cough:: ::cough::

So happy to see pictures. I love that you take so many pictures and post them.

Happy New Year!

Biddie said...

We had so much fun, too! I'm sorry that we forgot to put out the other pies...I reallly enjoyed Jethro's salad, too. Nothing better than 2 men in the kitchen.
Ruby is beside herself. She is at the window CONSTANTLY.
When are you coming for another visit?

Coffeypot said...

Heidi,

Sorry to hear you have worms, though I am pleased to see you got, not one, but two tubes of dewormer. I hope it isn’t too uncomfortable for you to use the tubes. But on a brighter note: post a picture of you with the new bit in your mouth. I bet you are a knockout. It looks real cold over there, too, but pretty. Have a great and happy New Year.

Anita said...

Loved hearing about your Christmas... It's always great hearing from someone that gets what she wants for Christmas! lol

I also loved the pic of your pug - I had to show it to my daughter, who absolutely loves pugs...lol

Doughnut said...

Nice Christmas Heidi and nice pics too! I love country living and someday will return to it. It is very peaceful. Anything that brings us back to nature has a spiritual uplifting. Hope you have a Happy New Year!

Notsocranky Yankee said...

I'm glad you enjoyed Christmas. We had a nice one too, but I didn't manage to post it. I'll be gone for the next few days but I'll catch up when I get home. Have a nice week!

Reid Farmer said...

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Heidi!

Glad to see you outstanding in your field. One of my feeble stock lines is that I'm a Farmer outstanding in my field. Of course when I was in high school I dated a girl who's last name was Fields and you can imagine where that went!