www.flickr.com

Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Halloween, Trick or Treat, & Life in Town

You know, I don't think Halloween is just for kids. This is a theatrical event, people. This is entertainment. It's partly the whole "thumb your nose at the devil" thing, of course, and that's always fun. Being a halfway decent Christian myself, I guess I'm supposed to be avoiding all things that smack of evil, but come on. It's fun to dress up all scary and pretend I'm not scared!

I've lived in a subdivision the whole time my kids have been doing the trickortreat thing. I figure if I'm here I might as well make the best of it.

Here's how my sister and I did trickortreat in the 70s:

Get all dressed up. (I was usually a gypsy)
Get in the car.
Drive to Rachel's house.
Drive to Kelly's house.
Drive to Tammy's house.
Tanya's house.
Tara's house.
Grandma's house.

Go home.

Then Rachel's mom drives over to our house.

Repeat.

It was cool because since we all knew each other, the concept of checking candy was ridiculous. We'd make up little packages of candy and goodies for each other. My Grandma made these huge popcorn balls. Good stuff.

They never did let me dress up like the Headless Horseman and ride my pony around the neighbourhood though.

One year we did the trick or treat in town and came home with bags and bags of loot. We were right into self control, my sister and I, being impoverished and appreciative, and still had candy by Christmas after measuring it out one piece at a time.

Here's my son's lunch bag today:
(this is the place where, if Ass hat Blogger would co-operate with me, I'd insert a photo of his candy-filled lunch bag.... )

Ha ha ha, boy, that's very funny. Now go make a sandwich.

There are a lot of things that bug me about Halloween, sure, gluttony to name but one. Let's face it though. This is some fun.

What other time of year can you do this...

(insert photo of plastic skeleton impaled on pitchfork in front yard)

and it's okay????

When else can you dress up like a blue skinned prom queen? And answer the door in character? Because it's really all about staying in character. My daughter was A Goth this year and had the whole "My life is misery and gloom" thing down.

I was wearing a purple evening gown, with a blue wig, blue face and neck, fake eyelashes, red bags under my eyes and big red lips. I kinda looked like Courtney Love, oddly enough.


You need to know that I am very, very good at looking vague and unfocussed. I can look at you and past you at the same time.

Here's how things went:

(Knock on door. I descend the stairs with one hand sliding along the railing, the other drifting by my side, open door)
ME: (wispy voice) Do you guys want chips....or twizzlers?
12 YEAR OLD BOYS: um....chips....I guess...
ME: (dropping loot into pillowcases) Okay....happy halloween....


This was the best one!
(Knock etc etc)
These were three boys, about 14ish, two in some kind of gruesome get up, one wearing a motorcycle jacket. That was his costume. I dropped chip bags into the pillowcases and the middle kid held out a helmet.

ME: (peering into helmet, wispy voiced, wide eyed) Is that your head in there?
KID: uh...noooo.....
ME: Oh. That's too bad. It would be really cool if you had a severed head in there. You should do that next year.

They backed away slowly as I wished them a happy halloween.

The finale happened once my own kids and man and dog were back home again. I was lurking at the bottom of the steps in the dark. Some teen type kids came up. Vampires, and good ones too. They're probably Goth in real life (?) and take this very seriously. I turned around and went up to the door. The vampire jumped out of her skin. I skeered her! hahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Then of course we had the obligatory 8:30pm kid with a low voice show up before we shut it down. "How old are ya, twenny four?" I asked.

"Fourteen."

"Yeah right. Happy Halloween."

It took me ten minutes to wash the death pallor off. It was worth it.

14 comments:

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

We only had 12 kids here and I think my mom is very disappointed. Actually I kind of am too. This is my favorite time of yr.
Anyways while you were scaring the crap outta kids I was getting my drink on. With pirates. They had wicked piratitude. It was very good.
Can't wait to see some pics. And you know I heart Courtney Love?

Heidi the Hick said...

Only 12? What a shame!

Drinking with pirates....so much fun!

And of course we love Courtney Love. No matter how messed up we ever get...we know that Courtney can do it better. Nobody is as unhinged as Courtney. 'cept for me last night, bwahahaha!

dilling said...

We only handed out less than half of our candy! I thought it would be a great night as it wasn't raining, but I guess the boogeyman is too real a thing these days...sadly.

Biddie said...

Hallowe'en in our hometown was the best. I can probably still tell you where the good treats were..(not at my house.mom got our candy from the hardware store).The Junkers had homemade popcorn balls (not my fav, but I could always trade 'em with Posh for chocolate), the Bowlbys gave out pop - brand name! Crush, usually...Lucy Brown always had special bags made up for us, and Mrs. Broderson had homemade martzipan....
Those really were the days. You didn't need to check the candy, half of the town were relatives, the other half were either part of our church congregation or friends...
On the bright side, Hubby came up with his own costume...Jiffy Pop popcorn, and KK did look more like 80's Heidi than 80's Madonna....

dilling said...

I grew up in this really HUGE apartment complex, backed up on another HUGE apartment complex, backed up against a family neighbourhood...we came home, literally, with PILLOWCASES(plural)full of candy...we were hyped on sugar straight through the new year!!!

Heidi the Hick said...

jj- yeah I'm kinda evil that way!!!

Dilling- every kid's dream! Are you kidding? Jethro used to dress up as Gene Simmons every year and run down to the apartment complex in the hometown and make about three pillowcase runs. He took his clothes out of the dresser to make room for candy!

Biddie, you know what I'm talking about because I have a feeling he was out ransacking for cancy with a couple of your brother-type people! Am I right!

Heidi the Hick said...

jj- yeah I'm kinda evil that way!!!

Dilling- every kid's dream! Are you kidding? Jethro used to dress up as Gene Simmons every year and run down to the apartment complex in the hometown and make about three pillowcase runs. He took his clothes out of the dresser to make room for candy!

Biddie, you know what I'm talking about because I have a feeling he was out ransacking for cancy with a couple of your brother-type people! Am I right!

Heidi the Hick said...

jj- yeah I'm kinda evil that way!!!

Dilling- every kid's dream! Are you kidding? Jethro used to dress up as Gene Simmons every year and run down to the apartment complex in the hometown and make about three pillowcase runs. He took his clothes out of the dresser to make room for candy!

Biddie, you know what I'm talking about because I have a feeling he was out ransacking for cancy with a couple of your brother-type people! Am I right!

Heidi the Hick said...

and she never shared either, I'm guessing!

CindyDianne said...

Heidi - it sounds like you had a great time. We had fun here too. It involved the remote control varmit caller and scary tunes! I am hoping I can get KB to write about it today.

Heidi the Hick said...

Hmm...a pirate for Halloween, eh? Hmm...wonder if I should try that....

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Sounds great, screwing with the trick-or-treaters...

Tuesday was the only day I was home out of 11 days. Today I'm "glowing" in Kiev, Ukraine, just down the river from Chernobyl...maybe I'll even get around to posting pictures!

Heidi the Hick said...

Whoa, Yankee's in Kiev!!!! ARe they gonna let you put on a lead suit and check it out????

Pictures!!!!

Heidi the Hick said...

Why Askinstoo, you little flirt!!!