www.flickr.com

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Barn Tour: Dad's barn (and his mother's, and her father's...)

Up in the hay mow in June:
These giant wheels were used as pulleys to lift the old hay wagon off the chassis, all the way up to the loft level, where it was pulled over the platform. Then a trip rope was pulled to release all the loose hay into the mow. This wasn't the way to do it anymore by the time my old man was a kid in the 50s.
But let me tell ya...swinging off those big ropes sure is fun. Enough fun to make it worthwhile keeping those giant wooden wheels and ancient hemp ropes around!

Is it creepy and scary in the old barn? Heck yes! It goes a long way to explaining my fascination with the fantasy world of twisted apple trees and haunted houses and all those odd Burtonesque images...
(edit- One thing I need to tell you about, just in case the pictures don't tell you, is what it feels like up there. It was a hot day in June when we put the hay up, but inside the soaring barn, the air was pleasant. There was shelter from the sun's heat, but all those cracks in the boards let in little crossbreezes from every direction. The light is so diffused, also because of the spaces between the barn boards. And above all, the smell of the hay...ahhhhh! This part of the barn is used only for storage- we don't work in there except for putting up hay. But the reward for all that hard work is to climb up the ladder and sit for a few minutes, soaking up the good smell and the light and the gentle breeze.

It's like a cathedral up there. A cathedral for birds.

Me, and my boy, after a hard day's work.
Looking up at the haymow. Check out that big beam overhead.
With a building like this, it's all in the details.


The foundation:
In a bank barn, half of the ground floor is actually underground. Our south facing wall is the open end, while north is built into the hill. This way the livestock get the benefit of the sunlight.
The ceilings in this barn are quite low. Our horses are tiny so it doesn't really matter. When I'm asking people to pay me for boarding their horses though, I'll need more room overhead. Some people have had their cement floors taken out and dug down to get that ceiling height. I don't know if it's worth it financially. Lots to think about.

I wonder if someday I can find one of these that can give me all of this good stuff, but with high ceilings and wide aisles. I'll keep dreaming...
Happy Thanksgiving to my American Friends!

18 comments:

Biddie said...

Love the barn. I could play for hours in a barn when I was a kid. I mean, look at it!
I know that you'll find what you're looking for, it's out there.....

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

I don't think I've ever been up the stairs and looked down. I think I've always been afraid of the stairs...all creaky and such. But it is a cool place.

dilling said...

what a great place to grow up exploring....

Heidi the Hick said...

Nifty- I'm so glad you like it! Dad has done a lot of work to it over the years. It is crooked from some angles but it's not going anywhere too fast!

Biddie- did you know you are my best cheerleader? Yeah, it's out there. I just have to find it. (and pay for it...)

KC- I never took you up there because it's scary!!! We have to climb a ladder while clinging to the rope to get up into the haymow!

(Notice I didn't include pictures of the downstairs horse stalls. It looks so shabby in pictures!)

Dilling, it was great. Someday I'll post a story about searching for kittens! Good times.

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Excellent barn! I'm sure you'll have one like it someday.

Balloon Pirate said...

Great pics. Were the barns deliberately built that way to allow cross-breezes, or was it just an unintended benefit of the bare-bones construction technique?

And thanks for the wishes. I'm thankful that you're in my life.

Even if it's only through the internets.

Yeharr

Heidi the Hick said...

Awww! Thank you and you're welcome!

I have no idea if the crossbreezes were intentional. Lots of the neighbours have clad their barns in tin siding. No more cool breeze! (I'll ask my ol man.)

Yankee- thanks, and I'm keeping my eyes open for my potential future barn!

Michael Colvin said...

That barn look a really cool place to grow up and have adventures in.

katy said...

that is great would have loved to play there

rural dad said...

Egads.....I have terminal barn envy. Now I know why you set your barn bar so high :)

Heidi the Hick said...

Okay, guys, the scary truth: We weren't allowed to play in the barn with a total lack of supervision, and also, until I was about 13, it was a working hog barn.

BUT we were allowed to seek out kittens lurking in the hay and tame them!

I only showed you the beautiful parts of the barn, and believe me, there are some more ugly looking places. But yes, it's still standing, thanks to a lot of work put into it over the years.

I do treasure it.

And yes, this is why I set my barn bar so high!!!!

DINK said...

WOW....OMG IT`S SO BEAUTIFUL! I WANNA COME OVER!

Distant Timbers Echo said...

You got yourself a pretty barn there girl. I love it! Fantasticly old and historic.

Heidi the Hick said...

Thanks!

It's not mine, but I'll thank you on the family's behalf!

Anonymous said...

Amazing photo tour. That place has such rustic charm. You could make a calenar with the pics and sell it. It's got a Norman Rockwell thing going on.

Heidi the Hick said...

Yeah man.

And you should smell it too...

Anita said...

What a fabulous barn!
Your barn is out there, just as anxiously awaiting you as you are it!!

manuel said...

Hi.. Our barn was like this..never heard it called a 'bank-barn' before.. Sixty feet was like this, and 40 feet with a 3 foot foundation.. Our barn was 100 ft long..45 feet wide and 55 ft to the peak.. There was 3 levels..cattle in the bottom..hay in the middle (14 mows) and the third was where the horses and wagons came in.. there was a 3 ft wall down both sides of the level..where they pitched the hay over the sides.. We had a hole in the end up about 20 ft..for the pipe of the threshing machine..as it blew the straw over the hay in the last 2 mows... We and the neighbour kids used to have fun playing in the hay and straw..as it was slippery.. When they put in the 'hayfork' we used the rope to make a swing,from up in the rafters and swung across the mows... All the barn was put together with wooden pegs.... My brother used to climb up to attach the rope..as he wasn't afraid of heights.. We had some great times..