www.flickr.com

Thursday, June 29, 2006

No more teeeeachers, No more boooooks...

SWEET FREEDOM!

This is the Last Day of School! And it's only a half day! Summer starts at 11:25 today!

NO more nagging to get out of bed and eat and brush teeth and pack a lunch. No more asking if there's homework. Heck they might not even bathe for the first week. What do I care? We're FREEEEE!

Of course some difficulties will come of this...like when I go to my pilates class today, where I attempt to strengthen my back muscles so that I can walk in the morning without agony. Y'know what? The kids aren't babies anymore. They can read and play games without killing each other in the waiting room. I hope.

I've already told them that they need to give me three hours to write every morning. But I won't be checking back on blog world throughout the day like I have been, between laundry loads and things. I may even go a couple of days without blogging a new story. But I'll stick around. It's a good warmup for all that great brilliant novel writing I've been doing. (Rolls eyes.) Yeah, it's just moving right along...

So many people get irritated that now they'll have to find things to stave off boredom but I've solved that. I decided years ago that nobody is allowed to be bored. There's just no excuse for that.

But I am fortunate that I don't have to leave the house for work. That complicates things. All I have to do now is get paid for what I do. Oh dear.

Last night we went through the two piles of locker junk, decided which of it was good enough to re-use for next year and what gets jettisoned. Then we went shopping. Right behind me, in the back hall, there are two brand new knapsacks full of everything needed on the first day of school next September. They're going in the closet, where we will blissfully forget about them all summer, until the morning after labour day when they get strapped onto the kids' backs and start travelling.

Summer, here we come.

9 comments:

Notsocranky Yankee said...

Ahhh, summer vacation. My kids are out of school also and the blogging time has been cut dramatically. Backpacks ready for next year? I'm so impressed! I thought I was doing well to make sure my 6-yr. old didn't have any food lingering in his backpack to find at the end of the summer.

I went to the library yesterday and got Haven Kimmel's book you reviewed. And another by her called, "A Girl Named Zippy", a best-seller she wrote first. Now if I can find the time to read them. Maybe when I leave to fly again on July 8th...

Heidi the Hick said...

Well, don't be too impressed because I have ulterior motives, very selfishly...I hate thinking about back-to-school in August!

I'd like to read "Zippy" too. I'm thinking of doing a reading break every day because I need it. I read like crazy and that's why my house is a mess!

CindyDianne said...

The preparedness for next years school terms is downright...awe inspiring. (I almost said frightening, but that isn't TOTALLY accurate) Look at you go!

I have a theory about bored. Only boring people are bored! Think about it. Don't interesting people find things to do, to learn, to read or various and sundry activities instead of being bored? You bet!

Heidi the Hick said...

Oh no, you all highly overestimate me! I'm horribly unorganized!!!

I simply hate school so much that I don't want my summer ruined by shopping for school supplies!

Ironically I love paper and pens and notebooks. Love it. I just find myself thankful every night that I don't have to go to school in the morning. And I'm 35.

I think Cindydi's theory makes sense.

And I think Kari should keep the job that allows the blogging!

I'm not going away kids, I'm just slowing down a wee bit. I'm not that easy to get rid of!!!!

Timmy said...

i miss being a kid! why cant i take a summer vacation. ???

Notsocranky Yankee said...

My kids love notebooks and pencils too. If I said, lets look for school supplies, they'd be all over it! That and tape. Did you know that you can make almost anything out of duct tape? I found a multipack with blue, red and black duct tape and they went nuts for it!

Heidi the Hick said...

Tim, I think you shuold work it out so that you get a summer vacation. People should stop buying houses in the summer so that you can take summer off. That's what I think.

Yankee! Duct tape! (drool with happiness) It makes a day go so much better!!!! I gotta find me one of those mulitpacks!!

Distant Timbers Echo said...

Alright lady, you are waaay too happy! Cheer up will ya?

.:.KC.:. the brown eyed girl said...

Oooh. Podge season has arrived and hopefully concert time. I'm so excited, I have no idea what we will podge hopefully, not the furniture like the crazy lady Jethro told us about.